Front fork oil

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
seagullplayer
Motorcycle: 1884 GL1200 Interstate
1995 HD 883

Front fork oil

Postby seagullplayer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:29 am

1984 Gl1200 Interstate.

Removed my front wheel to replace tire and when I removed the cap on one side oil started running out of the fork. Turns out what I believe must be the drain plug was loose and ready to fall out. It tighten up fine but now I need to replace the oil in that side. How?
And what oil do I use?

It was this side:

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Front fork oil

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:33 am

Truth be known,the proper thing to do is to drain both forks and replace the oil in both of them....
There are 2 methods...
You can remove the top caps and spring..Keep the front end jacked up and pour the exact amount of oil down the forks....

Taking the cap off is fun too...It slipped once and launched the cap across the shop........
Yea..I know it's hard to compress it back while putting the cap back on..

The second method is to remove the air valve from the top to let the air escape,attach a fitting in place of the drain plug and 'inject' the oil up into the bottom of the fork with a syringe....
You have to pre-measure the oil...after its injected,the fitting is replaced with the plug....
It's messy and oil will drip everywhere but it can be done...

I use ATF fluid or regular fork oil...whichever I have on hand...

seagullplayer
1995 HD 883

Postby seagullplayer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:47 am

How do you get the fitting out and the plug back in without loosing all the oil?

If I hold my finger over the air fitting will it keep the oil from coming out the bottom, like holding your finger over a straw? Guess I could just release the air pressure by holding the inlet air valve open then allow the valve to close once I have the oil in?

I REALLY wanted to avoid removing the caps and letting those springs fly! I don't see how a person is suppose to get that cap back on and compress those springs at the same time!

How much oil should be in there? I am willing to give the syringe idea a try. If I am "lucky" with this side I may give the other a go.

Thanks for the info

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:41 am

Oil capacity is specified at 10.92 oz.
You need to keep the air valve open during the injection process to let the compressing air out....Letting it seal back off will reduce the amount of oil that is spilled....Like I said,it's messy and takes a bit of manipulation to remove the adaptor and put in the plug without loosing much fluid...you can add a touch more ATF to compensate for this.
I got a small plastic seasoning injector at Walmart for a few bucks..had to refill it a few times..the reason to pre-measure the oil into another container....
My hose was a aquarium air hose and the adapter was a plastic coupler that I trimmed and hand threaded into the fork..nothing special..not meant for everyday use...just a quick job....
You could even forgo all the fittings if you can find a bottle with some kind of nozzle that you could just hold on the fork....Again...messy but OK.

This does work on the forks that have a air valve that can be opened...does not work on a non-air ride shock...like my 1500....I tried....

seagullplayer
1995 HD 883

Postby seagullplayer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:56 am

I have some pretty big syringes at work, if they will hold that much I think they would be prefect. Maybe just a tad of electric tape around the tip for a better "seal".

I have the bike on a motorcycle jack, I think I can have plenty of clearance to shot straight in minus the hose.

Thanks, I will let you know how it goes next week.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”