Thermostat

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
drjeff0001
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Thermostat

Postby drjeff0001 » Sat May 03, 2014 7:15 am

I want to do all the work on my bike that I can, but the thermostat on this one is something that scares the snot out of me. Does anyone know of a how-to video on the replacement of the thermo on a GL1200 Aspencade, circa 1987? Thanks for everything!

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: Thermostat

Postby Placerville » Sat May 03, 2014 10:24 am

drjeff0001 wrote:I want to do all the work on my bike that I can, but the thermostat on this one is something that scares the snot out of me. Does anyone know of a how-to video on the replacement of the thermo on a GL1200 Aspencade, circa 1987? Thanks for everything!

First, just a tip to help you get a better response for you questions on forums such as this: If you start a new thread for your specific question (rather than inserting your issue into and existing thread), you'll always have better results. But, let's go ahead:

Changing a thermostat isn't difficult, it just time getting to it so, don't let it scare you. First, why do you think you need to change your thermostat? Is it just preventative maintenance or, are you actually having a problem with your cooling system? You might want to re-post and tell us more about why you think this needs to be done as there may be other issues to address.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Sat May 03, 2014 4:20 pm

I took the radiator mounting bolts off then the water pump housing thing off the the upper hose only at the thermostat housing. It wasn't bad at all

drjeff0001

Postby drjeff0001 » Sat May 03, 2014 5:12 pm

Placerville wrote:
drjeff0001 wrote:I want to do all the work on my bike that I can, but the thermostat on this one is something that scares the snot out of me. Does anyone know of a how-to video on the replacement of the thermo on a GL1200 Aspencade, circa 1987? Thanks for everything!

First, just a tip to help you get a better response for you questions on forums such as this: If you start a new thread for your specific question (rather than inserting your issue into and existing thread), you'll always have better results. But, let's go ahead:

Changing a thermostat isn't difficult, it just time getting to it so, don't let it scare you. First, why do you think you need to change your thermostat? Is it just preventative maintenance or, are you actually having a problem with your cooling system? You might want to re-post and tell us more about why you think this needs to be done as there may be other issues to address.

Thanks for the input and sorry about bust another topic. I am new here and I was exhausted when I posted. I drove the bike back from Northeast Texas to Austin yesterday and about 150 miles in it got hot. I mean sho' nuff hot. It will up and up and finally pegged. I pulled over before it pegged and let it cool. I bought antifreeze and distilled water and mixed them into 50/50 until the radiator filled. It really didn't take much of the mixture at all. Maybe a pint, perhaps a quart but not much. I did smell the radiator smell but there was no overflow on the ground. It took me about 5 hours to make the rest of the 70 miles I had to go and it was brutal. Almost dark by the time I got home and I was pretty much dead. The battery wasn't good on the bike but it was turning over well. The oil was not totally down/out but I replaced whatever was missing from it, perhaps a bit too much but not extreme I don't think. I haven't taken it out today, for reasons that really don't have to do with the heat issue. I have work I am doing at the house and my daughter had a major school function today, so maybe tomorrow I will try to crank it up. The cold crank is an entirely different issue, I know, so I will troll other forums.

One thing I noted when it kept overheating after I filled the radiator: I took the top off the cap and felt of the water and it was very cool. No heat at all. That led me to believe that there was no circulation at all in the system and the lack of a drip from the front of the bike...or anywhere else...helped me to discount the pump. I may be totally off here, so if I am let me know. Again, thanks for your patience with me and I will try to stay in form on the forum.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Sat May 03, 2014 7:03 pm

First, if you put in a quart of antifreeze, your radiator was seriously low on coolant. It's possible that your assumption that the thermostat isn't opening because the radiator was cool is a good one. I would also wonder if your water pump is functioning properly. If it were me, I'd be pulling my radiator. I'd make sure it was spotless inside (maybe have a shop clean it), then I'd replace my thermostat. Don't bother testing it, just replace it. Aftermarket replacements are inexpensive and will work fine. They're also available from Honda. I'd pull my bottom hose cover and take a look at my pump impeller. If it's brown Bakelite, it's the factory original. Put your thumb on the center of it and push it from side to side and up and down. If you feel any movement in the shaft, it's going bad. (A bit of clockwise and counter clockwise of the impeller head is OK.) If there's side to side type movement, but the impeller is still intact, your pump is still doing it's job, it's just going to start leaking soon out of the weep hole on the bottom. Any up/down and side to side movement means it needs to be replaced. Make sure the lines and cap on your coolant reservoir are clear and able to feed your radiator. Check your hoses and make sure your fan is coming when when it should.

Bottom line, there's no way you're going to avoid pulling your radiator - you must make sure it's clean. Doing so will make the thermostat change a snap. If you take your radiator to a shop for cleaning, ask the tech. to re-solder the upper and lower hose tubes where they connect to the tanks. These areas come under stress when hoses are changed and often weaken and fail as the metal is very thin. Pressure test as well.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

drjeff0001

Postby drjeff0001 » Sat May 03, 2014 7:55 pm

I truly appreciate the input. Now for a nice project next week. :D :D :D

portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Sat May 03, 2014 9:19 pm

I would be trying to figure out where the coolant went! These were the thermostats Placerville posted. I got mine at Advance. NAPA #101
Stant #13868
Murray #3868

drjeff0001

Postby drjeff0001 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:05 pm

portugeezer wrote:I would be trying to figure out where the coolant went! These were the thermostats Placerville posted. I got mine at Advance. NAPA #101
Stant #13868
Murray #3868

I did the first part of the breakdown and I took the cap off the radiator. The plastic was full to the mark, but the radiator was over half empty. I filled it up and burped it and it went down a bit, as if it were circulating. I put the remainder of the needed antifreeze/water into the radiator. It took probably over a gallon of fluid, so this might be the issue. Now I have to figure out why the reserve wasn't feeding into the radiator. Is it possible that there is a malfunction between the two? I don't want to take this apart the rest of the way for nothing, so any experienced mechanics/DIY'ers: HELP! :)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 05, 2014 4:09 pm

drjeff0001 wrote:
portugeezer wrote:I would be trying to figure out where the coolant went! These were the thermostats Placerville posted. I got mine at Advance. NAPA #101
Stant #13868
Murray #3868

I did the first part of the breakdown and I took the cap off the radiator. The plastic was full to the mark, but the radiator was over half empty. I filled it up and burped it and it went down a bit, as if it were circulating. I put the remainder of the needed antifreeze/water into the radiator. It took probably over a gallon of fluid, so this might be the issue. Now I have to figure out why the reserve wasn't feeding into the radiator. Is it possible that there is a malfunction between the two? I don't want to take this apart the rest of the way for nothing, so any experienced mechanics/DIY'ers: HELP! :)

This is a pretty common failure. What happens is the hose between the radiator and the coolant reservoir develops a crack, or the reservoir itself at the nipple where the hose goes on develops a crack.

When the coolant gets hot and expands, the cap lets some out to relieve the pressure, and the coolant pushes up into the reservoir. Then when it cools off, instead of sucking the coolant up out of the reservoir, it sucks air in through the crack. Next time it heats up, more coolant gets pushed into the reservoir, and when it cools off, it sucks more air back into the radiator. Pretty soon you have a full reservoir and a (near) empty radiator.

drjeff0001

Postby drjeff0001 » Mon May 05, 2014 5:43 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
drjeff0001 wrote:
Stant #13868
Murray #3868

This is a pretty common failure. What happens is the hose between the radiator and the coolant reservoir develops a crack, or the reservoir itself at the nipple where the hose goes on develops a crack.

When the coolant gets hot and expands, the cap lets some out to relieve the pressure, and the coolant pushes up into the reservoir. Then when it cools off, instead of sucking the coolant up out of the reservoir, it sucks air in through the crack. Next time it heats up, more coolant gets pushed into the reservoir, and when it cools off, it sucks more air back into the radiator. Pretty soon you have a full reservoir and a (near) empty radiator.

And that is, indeed, what was going on. It is clearly cracked at the hose entry on the reserve. Where would I find such a critter? Does anyone know of a place to buy such a part? And, if so, what would I ask for? A "doo hickey that goes from the radiator to the reservoir" is probably not descriptive enough. Thank you so much for your input.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 05, 2014 10:45 pm

drjeff0001 wrote:And that is, indeed, what was going on. It is clearly cracked at the hose entry on the reserve. Where would I find such a critter? Does anyone know of a place to buy such a part? And, if so, what would I ask for? A "doo hickey that goes from the radiator to the reservoir" is probably not descriptive enough. Thank you so much for your input.

eBay is probably your best bet - although you might be able to rescue it by cleaning it, roughing up the plastic a bit with coarse sandpaper, then applying some JB-Weld around the cracked area.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Mon May 05, 2014 11:09 pm

Placerville- 1976 Yellow

drjeff0001

Postby drjeff0001 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:19 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
drjeff0001 wrote:And that is, indeed, what was going on. It is clearly cracked at the hose entry on the reserve. Where would I find such a critter? Does anyone know of a place to buy such a part? And, if so, what would I ask for? A "doo hickey that goes from the radiator to the reservoir" is probably not descriptive enough. Thank you so much for your input.

eBay is probably your best bet - although you might be able to rescue it by cleaning it, roughing up the plastic a bit with coarse sandpaper, then applying some JB-Weld around the cracked area.

Funny you should mention JB Weld. That is made in my home town, Sulphur Springs, TX. Mary Bonham is the owner. She used to do my mother's hair many years ago. As you can see, Mary married quite well. Just a side note. I did order a new reservoir...actually used...and a radiator cap from Ebay. The cap was just in case there is something wrong with the cap that is on it. I will know more tomorrow, as I am going to let it run for about half an hour and check for heat along the way. I just bought the bike last Friday and drove it back from NE Texas. I will say that even though the engine seems to be quite sound, I am a bit spooked from going on long rides for a while. I will keep it local and have fun while testing its limits on the highways nearby. Thanks so much to everyone with the nice words of help.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”