Transmission won't engage

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
LAHUE
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate
1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Transmission won't engage

Postby LAHUE » Mon May 05, 2014 11:42 pm

I'm wondering if someone can tell me why the transmission on my 86 goldwing won't engage. I just bought this a couple of weeks ago and pulled the rear tire to put on a new one. I had the final drive and the drive shaft out when I took off the tire. It took a while but I got it back together correctly I thought. When I wanted to take it out for a test drive the transmission did nothing when I put it into gear. There's no grinding or anything just nothing.
Thanks in advance, Larry

wing86new1
Motorcycle: 1986 goldwing aspencade sei
and 1978 gl1000

Re: Transmission won't engage

Postby wing86new1 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:32 am

this might be a long shot, but when I pulled my rear cover off my 86 to do a clutch pack and stator change the final shaft came with it when re installing the shaft i noticed that the final drive gear had slipped off the shaft and was laying to the right, i could actually put the shaft back in without the gear on it. I would pull the final drive inspection cover to see if that is what has occurred. you could probably coax the gear back on without pulling the engine if you have a buddy to help through the inspection hole. there is no lockers on this piece on the 86 which is lucky, other years have a locking pin and if it falls out you have to split the case to get that part back out.
hope this helps

LAHUE

Postby LAHUE » Tue May 06, 2014 2:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to look for an inspection cover and pulled the boot back over the u joint and found the end of the yoke sticking out. I should have looked at that last night but was in a rush to get ready for work (3rd shift). Hopefully that will slide back on without a problem.
Larry

wing86new1
Motorcycle: 1986 goldwing aspencade sei
and 1978 gl1000

Postby wing86new1 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:58 pm

it will slide back in but I would coat it with molypaste from honda before slipping it back on

LAHUE

Postby LAHUE » Wed May 14, 2014 10:27 am

Just a quick update on this. I pulled the rear axle, slid the tire and drive shaft back a little and and it slid right in where it should.. After changing the spark plugs I took it for a ride to test it. Stupidly I didn't put on any leather or a helmet cause it was just going to be a short test ride. A couple of miles from home a deer popped up out of the ditch and ran in front of me about 3 feet away. I couldn't avoid it, took it out and it took me out. We ended up sliding and tumbling about 75 yds. The deer was dead, the bike flipped about 3 - 5 times and is completely wrecked whereas I only lost some skin on my forearms, a patch on my hip and jammed my right hand. At 57 I don't bounce like I used to. I believe the good lord was with me that day. I saw some words of wisdom here where someone said you only need to wear protective equipment on the days you expect to crash. I knew better but I won't make that mistake again. Just thought I would pass this along.
Larry

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 14, 2014 11:47 am

LAHUE wrote:Just a quick update on this. I pulled the rear axle, slid the tire and drive shaft back a little and and it slid right in where it should.. After changing the spark plugs I took it for a ride to test it. Stupidly I didn't put on any leather or a helmet cause it was just going to be a short test ride. A couple of miles from home a deer popped up out of the ditch and ran in front of me about 3 feet away. I couldn't avoid it, took it out and it took me out. We ended up sliding and tumbling about 75 yds. The deer was dead, the bike flipped about 3 - 5 times and is completely wrecked whereas I only lost some skin on my forearms, a patch on my hip and jammed my right hand. At 57 I don't bounce like I used to. I believe the good lord was with me that day. I saw some words of wisdom here where someone said you only need to wear protective equipment on the days you expect to crash. I knew better but I won't make that mistake again. Just thought I would pass this along.
Larry

Ouch, I feel for you, Larry. Sorry to hear you crashed your bike, and sorry more that you were injured...but thankful that you're not hurt anywhere as bad as you might have been...or worse.

LAHUE

Postby LAHUE » Wed May 14, 2014 2:55 pm

Thanks, I was pretty happy to get up and walk away. Now I have to look for another bike.

rufus15
Motorcycle: 2012 level 3 goldwing

Postby rufus15 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks for sharing, allot of folks wouldn't. It don't take much to as you get older to break something that takes forever to repair. Really glad to hear your not too worse for wear and you've taught me something. Thanks.

tandem54
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby tandem54 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:51 am

I do all the time, in shorts and a t-shirt when I just can't wait to take a longer trip, just a few blocks right! Thankfully there are not very many deer here in Arizona!! (none around me) But I do have to keep an eye out for Coyotes! Sorry for your accident, hope you find a bike you like and stay safe!

I’d rather be Riding my Motorcycle thinking about God
Than sitting in church thinking about my Motorcycle

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”