My Father's 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
SonOfRedemptionMan
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I Interstate

My Father's 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Postby SonOfRedemptionMan » Sun May 11, 2014 11:16 am

Dad died a couple months ago and I got his 1986 GL1200 Interstate. Never having ridden a motorcycle, I decided to take a class through MSF, got my license in April and have now been riding for a couple of weeks and am getting the hang of it. It's a heavy bike but not nearly as difficult as I had read on some Goldwing forums discouraging new riders. I'm having a lot of fun.

I had a pleasant experience yesterday when my bike malfunctioned and I ended up at the side of the freeway. I had heard tell about the way bikers help each other etc and sure enough another rider stopped and chatted with me about my bike. He had a Honda Shadow and had a lot of good things to say about Goldwings in general (a couple Harley riders passed me up after looking me over.. maybe they only stop for other Harley riders?) He helped me push-start or "pop the clutch" on my bike and I was able to be on my way. He told me that if I ever see another biker at the side of the rode I should always stop and try to help out.

There are a few issues of concern regarding my dad's bike that I could use some guidance on as follows:

1) The bike leaks oil and smokes occasionally from the sides below where the foot stands are. I think the smoke happens when oil drips down onto the hot parts of the bikes and burns off, so I don't think it's a major concern. I am keeping on top of the oil so other than the mess it creates I don't think it's a big deal. After being unable to get the bike on the centerstand after several attempts (yes I watched the video), with the final attempt resulting in my dropping the bike (embarrassing! It didn't go down hard though), I decided to just start checking the oil while straddling the bike and it seems to work OK.

2) There is a rattle in the engine upon hard acceleration, most notable at high speeds on the freeway, so I try not to accelerate too hard.

3) The shifting seems a bit rough at times, like there is vibration between gears. Not having ridden many bikes, new bikes, old bikes, I am not sure if this is something to worry about. Mostly it happens going down from second into first. Also, when I shift, for example, from second to third, sometimes instead of just one click going into third gear, there will be about three clicks (kind of like cracking your neck). I'm not sure if that's normal. I dont want to overexaggerate this, I haven't had any problems shifting..

4) Bike starts up fine when cold. When hot (not overheated, just warm from riding), it does not want to start and cranks slow. Will start again after approx. 30 minutes - one hour. I read some threads about this problem, and I'm planning to replace the battery as a first step and see if that solves it. This hasn't presented a big problem except the other day when I let the clutch out early while in stop and go traffic on the freeway (I haven't worked up to lane splitting yet) and the bike died and then wouldn't start (this is the aforementioned incident where another biker helped me out). And I can't really use it for running short errands until I get this resolved.

5) The odometer, speedometer, trip odometer do not work. I think probably has to do with a loose or bad cable. This hasn't been an issue except I can't really tell you how fast I've been going.

That's pretty much it. I never thought I would ride a motorcycle and I'm really enjoying it! My dad had this bike for several years and prior to that he had another 1200 Goldwing. He had been riding motorcycles off and on since before I was born according to Mom... I think he'd be really surprised to see me riding his bike around town because I never had any inclination towards motorcycles prior to his death... but riding it makes me feel like he is a part of me now.

Thanks in advance for any input on the above referenced issues.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Re: My Father's 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Postby harvey01 » Sun May 11, 2014 12:04 pm

Glad to hear you are enjoying riding and connecting with your dad! Sure sounds like fun to me!

Unfortunately I can't offer any help on fixing the problems with the bike. You might want to check on this site for the pertinent service manuals and owners manual to download. The Service manual won't tell you what is wrong but will help you check through things step by step. Clymer and Haynes are two other companies that may have written manuals for working on your ride. I am not sure of a good source for those but would try Whitehorsepress.com and Amazon.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

rjlv25
Motorcycle: 2004 FXDLI Low Rider
1987 GL1200I Interstate
1982 GS1100L (SOLD)
1982 KZ1000LTD (SOLD)
1979 KZ750B4 (Traded)

Postby rjlv25 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:06 pm

Welcome. If you would prefer the factory Honda manual, it is available at http://www.helminc.com. I have both the factory and the Clymer manual, and I can tell you that some items are in one, but not the other. Good luck to you!

I forgot to mention that you will see a menu item at the top if you would like to download manuals.

kwild
Motorcycle: 84 Standard
85 Aspencade

Postby kwild » Sun May 11, 2014 8:40 pm

Great bikes, those 1200's. Most common oil leaks are, valve cover gaskets, Shift pedal seal, rear master bleeder. Most likely the shift seal.
I add 2-3 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil to a full tank and it really quiets the motor down.
The 1200 handles great too.

I have a manual somewhere, if you'd like it you can have it.
84 Standard
85 Aspencade

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 12, 2014 12:43 pm

SonOfRedemptionMan wrote:1) The bike leaks oil and smokes occasionally from the sides below where the foot stands are. I think the smoke happens when oil drips down onto the hot parts of the bikes and burns off, so I don't think it's a major concern. I am keeping on top of the oil so other than the mess it creates I don't think it's a big deal. After being unable to get the bike on the centerstand after several attempts (yes I watched the video), with the final attempt resulting in my dropping the bike (embarrassing! It didn't go down hard though), I decided to just start checking the oil while straddling the bike and it seems to work OK.

The center stand trick does take a bit of practice sometimes. Once you've figured it out however, it is easy to do. As for the oil, you can try using some solvent (brake cleaner works well) to clean oil off the engine, and watch where it comes from. If you have trouble seeing the origin point, try dusting things with talcum powder - it will show the original leak very quickly.

SonOfRedemptionMan wrote:2) There is a rattle in the engine upon hard acceleration, most notable at high speeds on the freeway, so I try not to accelerate too hard.

This is the primary chain - it can be fixed by doing a carburetor sync on the engine.

SonOfRedemptionMan wrote:3) The shifting seems a bit rough at times, like there is vibration between gears. Not having ridden many bikes, new bikes, old bikes, I am not sure if this is something to worry about. Mostly it happens going down from second into first. Also, when I shift, for example, from second to third, sometimes instead of just one click going into third gear, there will be about three clicks (kind of like cracking your neck). I'm not sure if that's normal. I dont want to overexaggerate this, I haven't had any problems shifting..

The Wing transmissions are beefy, and aren't the most slick shifting things ever invented. :) So yes, you will feel some clunkiness. As long as it's not grinding when you shift or slipping out of gear or giving excessive vibration, you're OK.

SonOfRedemptionMan wrote:4) Bike starts up fine when cold. When hot (not overheated, just warm from riding), it does not want to start and cranks slow. Will start again after approx. 30 minutes - one hour. I read some threads about this problem, and I'm planning to replace the battery as a first step and see if that solves it. This hasn't presented a big problem except the other day when I let the clutch out early while in stop and go traffic on the freeway (I haven't worked up to lane splitting yet) and the bike died and then wouldn't start (this is the aforementioned incident where another biker helped me out). And I can't really use it for running short errands until I get this resolved.

This is normally your pulse generators (little coils that tell the engine when to fire the plugs), but it could be coils as well. The pulse generators aren't all that difficult to replace, and generally GL1200's with this hot start issue will be fixed by replacing them.

SonOfRedemptionMan wrote:5) The odometer, speedometer, trip odometer do not work. I think probably has to do with a loose or bad cable. This hasn't been an issue except I can't really tell you how fast I've been going.

Either the cable or the speedometer drive (in the front wheel hub) has failed. Unscrew the cable from the back of the speedometer, then spin the front wheel and see if the end of the cable turns. If not, unscrew the cable from the speedometer drive, spin the wheel and see if the little tab in the drive turns. If it does, it's the cable. If it doesn't, it's the drive.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon May 12, 2014 3:17 pm

by SonOfRedemptionMan... cranks slow

Tend to the "3 yellow wires" too and everything else the Admin suggests.

My 1200 also cranked slow after it was warmed up.(new battery)..
A full service of the starter by me and some grease solved the cranking speed...
Also verify it is charging properly....A weak point of the bike....It can be resolved....

The bike likes a good battery,a poor charging system can leave you dead side of the road without enough power to crank it off till it(battery and engine) "rests" a while...

Thermal/intermittent pulse coils are one thing that have been known to be a problem...On a few bikes..
Replace them if you verify that when it quits,it's the spark that fails and not the battery volts..

I do recommend a basic look see...Replacing the timing belts and all it's fluids....Add a Volt meter somehow to monitor the system...

My oil leak on the left side was the shifter seal....pretty easy to replace....

Take pictures and keep us posted... :)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”