Advice On Brake Line Replacement

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
mark4Jesus
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Advice On Brake Line Replacement

Postby mark4Jesus » Mon May 12, 2014 8:27 pm

I am in the process of changing brake lines to SS. The front brake operated by the foot pedal is giving me fits. Got the old one out and have run the new one. Problem I am having is getting the fittings started where the flex connects to the hard line. Very little room and clutch hard line goes right over the top of the area where they connect. Any suggestions on how anyone has got the fitting started would be appreciated. I have stopped because I have run out of patience for the evening. I may just need to take a deep breath before I start tomorrow, knowing that it is going to be a pain.

mark4Jesus

Re: Advice On Brake Line Replacement

Postby mark4Jesus » Sat May 17, 2014 12:09 pm

The existing hardline fitting was bad. So I cut back about 4" and put a new piece of tubing in. Flairing the bike tubing was tight, but I bought an in-line flair kit which made it much easier. I bent the new piece to match what I cut out. Here is a picture of the finished product. I wish I had went ahead and done this several days ago instead of trying to get the old fitting to work.
Attachments

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Sun May 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Ah you are in luck. I just did this little choir and had my share of fits also.... :x I thought I was going to have to remove the fairing or lift it up. I was waiting for help to arrive and as I pulled the wind shield and dash off to make things a little easier. Bingo, with the instrument cluster out of the way I could get my big hands in there to get those 2 bolts started on the bottom deflector and that bracket for the brake line. I made sure that it was a close match for the bracket and the deflector. Attached the brake line fitting to the bracket. Then I held the deflector in place and started the right side bolt and just snug enough to hold the bracket in place and line up the other bolt hole. Then I was able to push the bracket against the deflector plate and get the bolt started. Red arrow. Job done..... :D
Attachments
Left front brake fitting
Left front brake fitting
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

mark4Jesus

Postby mark4Jesus » Sun May 18, 2014 9:26 pm

I didn't think to pull the instrument cluster, in fact, I don't know how. I pulled the fairing, I will have to look at that before I reinstall it. PO disconnected the radio and made a hook up for his iPod. I would like to have the radio. Still have to finish the rear brake line.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”