Security issues

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
scottca
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda GL1200A Aspencade; 2000 Buell X1 Lightening

Security issues

Postby scottca » Sun May 18, 2014 12:26 pm

So I finally got my 85' Aspencade on the road. I had originally planned to strip her down and make a street fighter out of her, but she was too perfect to deface. I've been riding it for the last week to work here in SF with no problems and have been loving every second of it. On Friday I had to work late and didn't get out to the bike until around 9pm. When I got there someone had stolen the cover off my left side(battery). After 6, there isnt much foot traffic around the office so it must have happen at some point after. Looking on ebay I can understand why, a decent condition one goes for about $250. I'll keep looking but I do want to get a new one. The question is when I get said cover, how do I secure it so some ass clown can't steal it again. It just presses into the grommets, so there isn't a really clear cut solution that I can see. Maybe I'm still to pissed to go out and look at it though.

Thanks for any tips

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: Security issues

Postby HALBUDD » Sun May 18, 2014 3:52 pm

You can get some fishing leads from Walmart for a couple of bucks. I put them on both side covers with some heat shrink on them to insulate them. Just drilled a small hole at the base of one of the pegs and ran the cable thru and then the other end around the frame. This will also keep them from blowing off while ridding.I used the longer ones so I can put the side covers up on the seat when doing maintenance on the bike. P.S. keeping on e-bay you may see your side cover on there for sale.
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

scottca
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda GL1200A Aspencade; 2000 Buell X1 Lightening

Postby scottca » Sun May 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Hey HALBUDD,

Thanks for the help. I've been watching ebay and the local craigslist closely...I wish I could find the person. I'll give it a try, seems like I might need something stronger than fishing line though. I would think you could still cut it away easily.

I was taking it off the road this weekend anyway to get my new progressive suspension installed. hopefully I can get a new cover this week.

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Mon May 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Well the fishing leaders are made out of steel wire and not fishing line. They are harder to cut then fishing line. There is no real good way to keep them from being stolen other then gluing them on where you could never get them off. Hope you find the a hole that took them good luck------------------------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:30 am

I would also suggest covering the bike when parked. It won't keep determined thieves from stealing parts but it might deter the impulse steal. When travelling I always cover my Wing at night to protect from the weather and I am convinced it also prevent folks from seeing what is under the cover.

harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”