Bad Regulator or Stator issues

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
SAILOR
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing

Bad Regulator or Stator issues

Postby SAILOR » Sun May 18, 2014 3:17 pm

I’m trying to determine if my voltage regulator is bad, or if it is the stator. Please help me determine what is wrong and why my battery is not getting charging when the bike is running. Below is what I know. Using a multi-meter in the “DCV” setting I have the following number when I was running the bike at 3500 rpms:

Between the negative and positive battery terminals when bike is not running multi-meter reads: 12.1
Between the negative and positive battery terminals when bike is running multi-meter reads: 11.7
Each of the yellow wires in Image 1 coming out of the stator on the left side of the battery read 5.8
Each of the yellow wires coming into the regulator measure a the regulator plug read 5.8.
The black wire coming out of the regulator read at the plug reads 10.9
The output on the both red/white wires coming out of the regulator read 11.7.
Also note on my bike the two red/white wires have be soldered to a single large red wire. This red wire leads to the fuse on the right side of the battery. At the fuse the red wire reads 11.7.

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: Bad Regulator or Stator issues

Postby HALBUDD » Sun May 18, 2014 3:34 pm

You say your only reading around 5 volts out of the 3 yellow wires are you using the a/c setting on your meter? You should be reading around 40 to 70 volts a/c from each wire coming from the stator. If you are using the a/c setting to read the 3 yellow stator and are only reading 5 or so volts the your stator is fried and you will need a new one or do a poorboy conversion. good luck--------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

SAILOR
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing

Postby SAILOR » Sun May 18, 2014 8:22 pm

read again not I'm using the DCV setting. Just as done in this video by Steve Saunders.

flash1942
Motorcycle: '84 Aspencade

Postby flash1942 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:12 am

With engine running your voltage at the battery should be higher than 13.5 volts and not more than 14.8 volts. With the stator (yellow) wires disconnected measure the resistance between each one. A good stator should read between 4 and 6 ohms. Measure each yellow wire to ground and if there is any reading then you have a shorted winding. With engine running and stator disconnected measure AC voltage between each yellow wires and should be higher than 50 volts AC.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon May 19, 2014 8:20 am

About the same info here too.
....Not that your testing is wrong,it was described as a "quick test" in the video....
The problem is if a voltage measures low on one yellow wire,without further testing of each part,this test shows that there is a problem....At this point it could be either part of the system.
A single shorted diode in the rectifier module can load the stator down.
At least your measurements are equal on all 3 wires....Still not a definitive answer tho..

The charging system,other than it's connections to the harness,is comprised of just 2 components...
The stator windings and the rectifier/regulator module...
I first verify the stator by separating it from the regulator module by unplugging it...either at the 3 prong plug,or if soldered,at the module...
The 3 yellow wires should not have ANY continuity to ground....
Each yellow wire should measure very close to a dead short to another yellow wire...In three measurements.....each coil measured separately....

Each pair.(3 measurements again) should produce near 25 volts AC at 1000 rpm unloaded....not hooked to the bike and upward around 70 volts AC near 3000 rpm...
As soon as the stator is attached to the regulator module,all the voltage measurements change due to the diodes and regulator circuit...
The regulator can be measured to some extent...Basically just the 6 diodes inside for front to back resistance...2 measurements for each diode times 6 diodes...
Also the black wire needs to be verified to have switched 12 volts with the module unhooked...it's the modules sense wire....
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 19, 2014 8:24 am

[quote="SAILOR"]read again not I'm using the DCV setting. Just as done in this video by Steve Saunders.

As I mentioned in your other thread, that video is definitely showing the wrong way to determine the operation of the stator. For one, he is measuring the AC output of one of the three-phase stator wires, against ground, with his meter set to DC. How (or if) the meter shows anything this way is going to depend on the design of the meter itself! Some meters will show zero, some will show a fluctuating value, but different meters from different manufacturers will definitely show different values.

The correct way to check the stator output is to set your meter to AC, and measure each of the two yellow wire pairs: 1-2, 2-3 and 3-1. You should see around 48VAC across each set of leads.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21988#ixzz32ASAzPaU

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”