My "New" GW

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
GW-RN
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade (soon)

My "New" GW

Postby GW-RN » Wed May 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Hey Everyone!
I've taken the big plunge... I went and picked up the GL1200 that a friend of mine gave me, yes you read correctly, GAVE me. He hasn't started it in YEARS, the last tag on the bike says 1999. He had the foresight to turn off the stopcock and not open it since he put it up, hopefully that was enough to stop gas from getting into the engine through the carbs. it's in ROUGH shape, but not past the point of no return I think. Just as a cool thing: he still has the original showroom tag on the keys, has the sales receipt and the original checklist that the dealer did when it was sold, the owners manual and a GW dealers book (list with maps).
Known problems:
1) Rust in the tank. He gave me a replacement (refurbished) that still in the box. I know, I know, BIG job. :shock:
2) Pipes need changing out. Well he didn't want to clean them up , so he bought some aftermarket lookalikes that are new in the box (unopened box)
3) front shocks need rebuilding. the seals are leaking, right being worse than left.
4) all fluids, plugs and filters changed out
5) PRAY, PRAY, PRAY I don't have to pull the engine to replace gaskets/seals anywhere
6) new tires. by the way.. are these tubeless?
7) Will be lubing the final drive when I remove the tire to take the tank off.
8) LOADS of cosmetic work

Well here are some pics:

maestro319
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Re: My "New" GW

Postby maestro319 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:51 pm

looks like a BIG job !!! Please, when you are all done with the "re-do", post some pix, ok? Love to see the "after".

Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Thu May 20, 2010 5:13 am

:) It's not impossible BUT you've got your work cut out for you. I dunno , It's funny I've seen bikes in ten times in better shape go down for parts. I guess it depends on how much you really want to put in to this bike. IMHO it looks like a money trap :P If you just want a 1200 I think I would keep this one for parts and look for another one. If you search the net you will see some needing engines , some needing stators, some just needing a little TLC and cosmetic attension.

Back in 01 I bought my 84 Aspy it was being sold as a parts bike/mechanics special for 1800.00 and it actully needed about 4 to 500.00 worth of parts( thats with me doing the work) to get it to being a trusty road worthy machine. Battery, tires, brakes, starter, a few lights here and there all fluids flushed & changed and an exhaust leak. So after all was done I had a good and solid bike for under 2300.00 bucks.

Ok with that being said, your bike was givin to you . Ok a 1200 in decent shape right now ! most are asking atleast 3500.00 between that and 4000.00. Will you be in that ball park or not when you are finished ? I think not :?:

rrmiller73
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby rrmiller73 » Sat May 22, 2010 9:54 pm

I Have a twin to this bike. Looks identical.Same colors and set up. 1984 Bought mine on Ebay last fall for $1200. It wasn't quite this rough but only ran on 2 cylinders. (Blown head gaskets)I've done heads, head gaskets, timing belts, flushed radiator, thermostat, fuel pump, carberators(off 3 times), fluids, battery, mufflers (bought cheap exh. system taken off Harley and welded up), front tire, and lots of cleaning and lubing and labor. It now runs great and rides decent. I still need to rebuild/replace the rear schocks. (bottoms out 2 up) Fork tubes aren't leaking but could stand rebuilding. Still needs paint but that will wait till next winter now. The air pump sytem works but none of the radio/CB stuff works. Think I'll put in a new marine radio. I've not added up everything with a calculator but looks like I've got about $2,500 in it all together now with more to go. Moral to the story: Unless you just like getting old dead horses up and running like I do. Spend more $ up front and get something that runs/looks decent. Sounds like you like the challenge of resurecting the old girl. Good luck. I'm really enjoying mine now.

GW-RN

Postby GW-RN » Sat May 22, 2010 10:18 pm

Thanks RR, I appreciate the you telling me about a positive outcome to this. I've never tried anything like this before, so we'll see. and like I said, I did get it for a really good price... FREE.
I'm excited about the possibilities.

rrmiller73
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby rrmiller73 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:46 am

A few months back there was a full blow by blow GW frame up restoration history with pics in one of these GW forems. Not sure where I found it but has lots of good info. I f you can find it. Just a side note: These bikes have charging problems as you'll see in a lot of post. Sabretech I believe has a link to a guy that sells a rewire kit in there frequently ask questions. The kit is about $50 and gives you wiring and instrucions to rewire the charging/elec. I put it on mine and so far (knock on wood) the charging system has worked great.

Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Sun May 23, 2010 10:09 am

GW-RN Please don't get me wrong or misunderstand me :) I don't tend to discurage you from your project :) I my self have been where you are now. Not so much with bikes but cars. I have rescued many fugitives from the junkyards , and being called a fool for doing so but when I was done with (some) them WOW was the first thing some said . And it felt so good to sit back and look at what I had accomplished. Words can't explain how I felt when total strangers complimented on what they saw. So if that's what you want to do then go for it :lol:

GW-RN

Postby GW-RN » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:01 pm

So I got started taking apart the GW so I can get the gas tank off. got the saddle bags off, the trunk, the complete fender and the wheel off. I need to get the tank off then I'll start the cleaning up of the frame, rebuilding the rear brake (it wasn't easy to get off the rotor). I'm sure not only new pads but also rebuilding the brake mechanism too (pistons, etc) might want to run new brake lines, anyone know where to get some of these and how much am I looking at? the shock "boots" are broken off, can I replace just those, or am I gonna need a whole new assembly. I need to pick up some moly 60 also. any special grease I need for anything else in the final drive? can I use 80w90 in the final drive?
ohh then I need to start refurbing the saddle bag supports. thinking of powder coating since they are pretty rough. and since it's a goldwing... gold??? will have to see what's available. might just do a brushed aluminum thing if they have that. well here are some pics.... suggestions/ tips... notes of ENCOURAGEMENT are always welcome.

jdvorchak
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800
2000 HD Dyna FXDX
1984 GL1200 STD

Postby jdvorchak » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:14 pm

Actually that looks like a fun job. The charging system problems with the 1200 were mostly due to that white connector with the 3 yellow wires just to the left of the battery in the last pic you initially posted. Yours, from what I can tell from the photo, is in pretty good shape. If it's not burnt and corroded it will be. So most people, myself included, would just cut that connector out of the circuit and solder and heat shrink the 3 yellow wires together for a permanent fix. The problem was that connector would corrode, cause resistance and melt. Those are the stator output wires and they carry a lot of voltage (50+ volts AC) and current and when that connector corrodes it melts and allows the stator to run full bore and eventually burn it self out. On the 1200 you have to pull the engine to replace the stator so if yours is still in good shape you are lucky. Various maintenance manuals and various internet postings have the procedure for checking the stator without the motor running using just an ohmmeter.

A real test though is to have the motor running and look for 50+ volts AC on each pair of wires. In other words think of them as A B and C. Hook the AC voltmeter to A+B with engine running about 2500 RPM you should have over 50 VAC. Then hook the meter leads to B+C and check voltage then hook them on A+C. You should get the same voltage on all 3 pairs and it should be above 50 volts. If not you have a bad stator and must be replaced.

GW-RN

Postby GW-RN » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:27 pm

jdvorchak wrote:Various maintenance manuals and various internet postings have the procedure for checking the stator without the motor running using just an ohmmeter.

Thanks! you wouldn't happen to know of any of those sites?? I'll check around again. I'm contemplating doing the alternator mod if the stator is shot. I'll need to find someone that can help with that, it sounds easier than pulling the motor, hehehe

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:32 pm

It's pretty simple.

With the bike turned off, disconnect the stator. With your multimeter set on its lowest Ohms setting, measure between each set of yellow wires: A to B, B to C, C to A. Each one should show between one and two ohms resistance.

Next, set your meter to its highest setting, and measure from A to ground, B to ground, and C to ground. Each one should measure infinity (or at least 10 KOhm).

GW-RN

Postby GW-RN » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:55 pm

OK ohh Goldwing Gurus!!
Finially got my butt outside and finished taking the gas tank off today. let me tell ya that wasn't easy but I SUCCEEDED! :D
But apparently with every victory comes a setback :| . I went and got the refurbished tank that came with my GW and wouldn't you know it..... IT'S THE WRONG ONE!!! now I'm presuming it's a Goldwing from its appearance, but it's not my year or model. So does anyone know what year/model the "unknown"(left one) one belongs too? I'm going to sell it or trade it for the one I need.
OH, and how can I tell if the fuel pump is working while off bike?
Attachments
side by side comparison of gas tanks
side by side comparison of gas tanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:31 am

I can't say for 100% sure without measuring, but the tank on the left sure looks like my GL1100 tank in every way I can think of.

As for the fuel pump, connect it to the fuel lines (so that it is drawing through the fuel filter) and put the supply line (the one that normally connects to the tank) in a jerrycan of gasoline. Put the carburetor line (the one the fuel is pumped out of) into your wife's large measuring cup. Connect the wires from the fuel pump to a LONG wire, and connect that to a car or motorcycle battery (to keep any spark generated by connecting/disconnecting the wire far away from the gasoline). Run the pump for one minute. It should pump a minimum of 16.9 US oz per minute.

If your wife doesn't have a measuring cup large enough, run it for 15 seconds instead, and multiply the measurement by four.

GW-RN

Postby GW-RN » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:43 pm

ok, I'm trying to get a gas tank sending unit (fuel sensor, fuel meter unit) and have found an 84 & 85 on ebay. the 84 doesn't quite look right, and the 85 does, but according to bikebandit, they are two different parts that resemble each other. can anyone help guide me to the right one?

84 ebay part http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-SEN ... ccessories

85 ebay part http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-Hon ... ccessories

84 bike bandit reference (#23) http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... de/o/m2341

85 bike bandit reference (#23)
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... de/o/m2342

HELP?! :?:

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”