Will need everyone's help , so please read :)

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Will need everyone's help , so please read :)

Postby made2care » Sun May 25, 2014 5:49 pm

Just purchased a 1987 interstate. I have done some cosmetic things with other bikes in years past and am hoping to apply those skills to bring this old girl back to life!
Mechanically, I have a challenge before me. No fuel exiting petcock. The seller has already stripped the bike shell wise, all plastic assorted pieces,fairing,trunk, seat etc, are off. Considering taking gas tank off since she is mostly stripped anyway. However, is there an easier method to get gas flow. I removed sending unit and peaked inside, only to find some rustic crud, not too bad, I've seen worse. The inner screen appears to be gunked up.
any suggestions as to how to clean this out without removing tank. I guess I can check the forums here. Also. Can I feed some gas another route to see if this is the problem?

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: Will need everyone's help , so please read :)

Postby Fatwing Chris » Mon May 26, 2014 4:45 pm

Unless your tank is full to the brim the fuel won't run out of the petcock without the fuel pump working.Most of the tank is below the petcock.If you don't already have a manual you can download one here from the upper left hand corner of this page.Probably a good idea being as you're already in deep to pull the tank and flush it.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Motorcycle: 1980 Goldwing
Interstate: in progress
1979 Honda CX500 Stolen
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Sold

Re: Will need everyone's help , so please read :)

Postby Patriccio » Mon May 26, 2014 9:29 pm

If you remove the tank, you can save time by using Metal Rescue in it. It's expensive, but it made my 1980 GWI tank spotless after a couple of days soaking. Some guys have used 50/50 acetone & trany fluid, but I've not used it.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”