GL1200 wheel/engine issues


Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
icebox
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:58 pm
Location: Minnesota
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

GL1200 wheel/engine issues

Postby icebox » Sun May 25, 2014 6:49 pm



WingAdmin wrote:
bassmaster42 wrote:what is the torque for the axle nut and axle holder nut for a 1985. is it the same as 83??


GL1200 service manual shows:

Front axle nut: 40-47 ft-lb
Front axle holder nut: 14-22 ft-lb
Front brake caliper bracket bolt (upper): 22-29 ft-lb
Front brake caliper bracket bolt (lower): 14-18 ft-lb
Front brake caliper bolt: 14-18 ft-lb

What are the torques for GL 1200 I rotors front and back? I snapped off one off back rim at 22 ft lbs, and 8x45 studs are hard to find !



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17045
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1200 wheel/engine issues

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 27, 2014 10:59 am

icebox wrote:What are the torques for GL 1200 I rotors front and back? I snapped off one off back rim at 22 ft lbs, and 8x45 studs are hard to find !


Then the stud was bad, because the specs are 20-24 ft lbs for all disc bolts, both front and rear.

icebox
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:58 pm
Location: Minnesota
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Re: GL1200 wheel/engine issues

Postby icebox » Tue May 27, 2014 8:29 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
icebox wrote:What are the torques for GL 1200 I rotors front and back? I snapped off one off back rim at 22 ft lbs, and 8x45 studs are hard to find !


Then the stud was bad, because the specs are 20-24 ft lbs for all disc bolts, both front and rear.

Thanks so much for the fast response Wing Admin !! I guess getting a manual is my next move ! Which one do you prefer, Clymer , Haynes or other?? Also, still getting up front preignition, not backfiring,starting out, up to 3000 rpm. Goes like a bat outa hell when past that. Previous owner said carbs were done, both timing belts, I changed plugs which looked normal, water pump, tires, horn, front brake switch, and ran through about one tank with almost full bottle of Sea Foam in it, starts great, and runs normal when giving a little choke. Any clues will help. Thank You.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17045
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1200 wheel/engine issues

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 27, 2014 9:39 pm

For manuals - definitely the Honda service manual. It might gloss over a few more complex tasks, but for the most part it has everything in it you need to know.

Preignition - are you sure you're calling it the right thing? Preignition is normally due to hot deposits in the cylinder igniting the fuel/air mixture before the spark plug does. It can normally be heard as loud "pinging", and normally when the engine is under load - and it can be very damaging.

icebox
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:58 pm
Location: Minnesota
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Re: GL1200 wheel/engine issues

Postby icebox » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:44 pm

WingAdmin wrote:For manuals - definitely the Honda service manual. It might gloss over a few more complex tasks, but for the most part it has everything in it you need to know.

Preignition - are you sure you're calling it the right thing? Preignition is normally due to hot deposits in the cylinder igniting the fuel/air mixture before the spark plug does. It can normally be heard as loud "pinging", and normally when the engine is under load - and it can be very damaging.

Does it from when engine is first started cold ,and even after running down road for miles. Give a little choke and it smooths out. I think it may be carbs?

icebox
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:58 pm
Location: Minnesota
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Re: GL1200 wheel/engine issues

Postby icebox » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:42 pm

icebox wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:For manuals - definitely the Honda service manual. It might gloss over a few more complex tasks, but for the most part it has everything in it you need to know.

Preignition - are you sure you're calling it the right thing? Preignition is normally due to hot deposits in the cylinder igniting the fuel/air mixture before the spark plug does. It can normally be heard as loud "pinging", and normally when the engine is under load - and it can be very damaging.

Does it from when engine is first started cold ,and even after running down road for miles. Give a little choke and it smooths out. I think it may be carbs?

OK, got bike back on the road with new wheel bearings, tires, water pump, dyna beads, horn , brake light switch, and after that workout, took for a spin..WOW! Smoothest ride yet. That was yesterday and I was feeling pretty good....until today it started a little hard, unusual.....took off to bring my buddy's torque wrench back to him, and it slowly started losing power no matter how much throttle I gave it, until it died a block from his house. 10 miles total. I coasted in and parked in driveway. won't restart unless I give it a whiff of starting fluid in air box. I am thinking fuel pump, but then read where you had a cracked vac line at petcock that was giving you fits. I am not sure if it is the fuel pump, makes no loud clicking while running. When you turn the key on should you hear something from the pump? If it is the pump, it may explain the hesitation and sputter coming up to and at 3000 rpm ??

rzaugg
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:04 pm
Location: Cedar Rapids, Ia
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: GL1200 wheel/engine issues

Postby rzaugg » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:39 pm

I personally can't hear my fuel pump, even when I know it was dry to begin with. The way that I check it is : Key on, left hand touching fuel pump, right thumb pushing start button. In that order. Engine has to be cranking for fuel pump to run. You can feel the "thump" as the pump oscillates. Check battery voltage, takes a certain amount to run the ignition system and could also be the issue.

icebox
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:58 pm
Location: Minnesota
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Re: GL1200 wheel/engine issues

Postby icebox » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:47 am

rzaugg wrote:I personally can't hear my fuel pump, even when I know it was dry to begin with. The way that I check it is : Key on, left hand touching fuel pump, right thumb pushing start button. In that order. Engine has to be cranking for fuel pump to run. You can feel the "thump" as the pump oscillates. Check battery voltage, takes a certain amount to run the ignition system and could also be the issue.

Thanks rzaugg!! That will help a lot. Will check the Thump and may just go buy a new battery to be sure. Now.......how to check if I am getting correct charging. I have a smart charger that has an alternator check button on it. Would that work on my 86 1200 Interstate ?




Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest