worst ride of my life-now have damaged rear shocks

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

worst ride of my life-now have damaged rear shocks

Postby wilmo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:09 pm

Coming home I hit a HUGE chuckhole at about 60 2 up. HARD. Now the forks are jammed up and will not extend. My worst fear is that now the forks are bent and that will mean the bike is pretty much scrap. I am totally bummed right now. I haven't attempted doing anything with it yet I'm too upset. I just rebuilt them last October! I'm going to ask you what do I do next to determine the amount of damage done. The top brace, I noticed has gaps between it and the fork mounts where it sits as if the forks went wide instead of back. There were no gaps before. I'm hoping against hope that the damage is minimal but since they are jammed up there I don't think I have a hope in he77.
I've since gone out and looked at some things. The forks do move up and down some. I haven't ridden it yet but will soon and try to assess what I did. It seems the length of the exposed inner tubes from the dust seal up is shorter than it was before. Where I think I have the issue is that after the hole, when we turn the center stand now scrapes the ground, never did that before. The rear shocks hold air still and can pump up as normal.
First a ride to verify an issue, then I guess I start disassembly and attempt to pull the outer tubes down.

Last edited by wilmo on Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilmo
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Re: worst ride of my life-now may have damaged forks

Postby wilmo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:36 pm

ok determination is now rear shocks. Forks are ok. The rear shocks still hold air just fine and pump up and down. However, while the bike is on the side stand, I can pull the whole bike down as far as the rear shock will go just by pulling down on the seat while lying on the ground to observe what's going on back there. I'm confused as to how they can hold air but no longer function as a shock. The bike easily bottoms out just sitting on it and slightly bouncing. :?:
So, I need advice as to what's going on here and would rebuilding them, if possible, or trying to replace them would be my next move. I put progressives in the forks last October, do they make a rear kit or shock, too? Any and all advice is welcome. I suppose I'm not riding it Thursday for the annual See me, save me ride.
Awaiting your excellent advice and direction.

wilmo
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Re: worst ride of my life-now have damaged rear shocks

Postby wilmo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:14 pm

Quickly going down hill, just discovered we hit that hole harder than I thought. The rear wheel is bent both sides and the tire is losing air. Now I need a rear wheel as well as shocks. I need to seriously decide if it's worth pursuing or just get out of it altogether and sell as a parts bike. :cry:

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Be thankful you did not end up injured!! You can pickup a rear wheel on eBay for a reasonable price. Fix it, don't parts it!

wilmo
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:28 pm

I have found a wheel on ebay but it's from an 84 Aspy. Will it fit the 86? There was something I read about how the spline disk doesn't fit from 84 to 86 and this wheel doesn't include the spline disk. If anyone knows this answer I need to hear it soon to be able to buy this wheel.
Also, the biggest information I need to know, is if there is a rebuild kit for these shocks and where to get it. That's assuming that I didn't damage them to the point they can't be rebuilt. Like I said, they hold air but there's no shock dampening at all so I don't know what could be broken about them.
I also found brand new progressive 416s for $306. This is getting too spendy to invest in this old of a bike, which is why I'm considering parting it out. I'd be into it $500 + and I don't think it's worth that investment, what do you all think?

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:42 pm

Don't know about the wheel. I would stay with the gl1200 84-87. As for the shocks , I would not mess with the rebuild, can get a cheap used pair on eBay.
Now in terms of it being an old bike and $$$ you invest , your conviction to not spend much could override any other choices.
I just purchased an 87 gl1200 in really bad shape, have sunk $800 into her already but the restoration part, since she is new to me, is the challenge I enjoy. She still doesn't run, and I will probably have to spend another $800 , but I want the old girl to be back on the road !!
Good luck!

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:38 pm

As made2care said if your bike is in overall good shape the by all means fix her up.You can get the parts for cheap on e-bay. If you get her back up and running you could sell her for more then parting out if sold as is you will get less. And parting out is a PITA with shipping and the cost of advertising . Just my 2 cents--------------------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

wilmo
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:04 pm

Yeah I'm now leaning toward fixing her. I can get used shocks for around $80 or I can try to replace the seal if that's all that's wrong. A wheel is $75. I'm just debating whether to go with the new 416's or rebuild what I have. That decision is worth $306 on its own.
Has anyone on this forum blown their shocks like I did, sudden and violent, and then rebuilt them with success? That will help me make a decision.

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:09 pm

I have seen some posts about rebuilding the seals on rear shocks but it looks like a pain,since your going to need to pull the rear end of any way If it where me I would just get a good used set of e-bay and just slap them on and ride like you stole it haha.
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

wilmo
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:50 pm

Yeah I'm leaning toward getting a used set and just make my life easier. I don't have any special tools do compress springs so a used set seems smarter-my time is worth something.

wilmo
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:33 pm

Well now I'm committed. A lot has happened in the last few hours. The old gal is stripped. Tire is off, shocks are out. I'm including pictures of the bent rim and the exploded shocks, particularly one. My plan is to take the wheel and tire down to the shop and have it dismounted and inspected to ensure or condemn the integrity of the tire. May be having to throw away a $100 bill but if this tire is damaged, i can't trust it. I'm ordering a wheel off of ebay to replace the toasted one here. The plan for now on the shocks is to take them to an independent motorcycle shop near my house, who specializes in Honda ;), and see if he can rebuild these. If he can do it for a reasonable price then he gets the job. I can buy 416's for $306 or a used set from ebay for $80 and take a chance. Hopefully, these are rebuildable and if he can come in around $150 it's a deal. Much more than that and the new ones are more attractive, though expensive. I kinda don't like the idea of used ones 30 years old with no history. :?
It's starting to hit home about how lucky we were yesterday. By all rights this tire should have blown, looking at the rim. it's only been on 2 months so maybe the newness saved us-or angels.;) There was 13 lbs of air in the tire this morning. I pumped it up to 40. waited an hour and it was still 40. This means we made it home on 13 lbs of air on a bent rim and blown shocks. Yup, angels.
Incidentally, while me and a friend were putting the bike up on the c stand and a 2x6, the right shock blew right then. Oil everywhere and it dropped all the way to the ground. This explains why i had air in the shocks but still blown, the right one was still going. For some reason it won't upload the picture of the shocks so you'll just have to settle for the bent rim.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:04 pm

Did you break a spring in one of the rear shocks? I'm suspecting that might be the case.

wilmo
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:24 pm

I think so and then later, 24 hours later, when the right shock blew, the chrome inner cylinder, about 1.25 inches diameter, was sunk inside the shock. You can see the inner shaft and the orings around the top of that. The picture I took shows it well but for some reason it won't upload. The other one I'm not sure of. Won't compress by hand at all don't know if it holds air. If the springs are broken, are the shocks rebuildable?

Grasshutperformance
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby Grasshutperformance » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Wilmo I sent you a PM, I have all the parts you need. Of you want, just let me know, be glad to help you out.
Tom

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”