aftermarket parts availible or not??

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200

aftermarket parts availible or not??

Postby Seahawk1 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:15 pm

Like someone else on the forum I recently acquired a 1984 GL1200 and yes it too seems to be locked up my question is the same are there any aftermarket piston and rig kits with larger pistons and is there a such thing as a performance cam for this model year ?? I figured since I need to take it apart anyway why not upgrade if possible any feed back would be appreciated

Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I 124k
2009 Honda Silverwing 14k -- the wife's scooter

Re: aftermarket parts availible or not??

Postby skier » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:24 pm

Don't know about performance kits, but.....have you pulled the spark plugs and tried cranking it. These engines can get hydrolocked if the carbs are leaking gas into the cylinder.

Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby Grasshutperformance » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:53 pm

I am an experienced engine builder, having worked for Booth Arons Engines and Dart, as well as my own company. A wing motor is a BIG deal. If you are looking for performance, I do not know any after market kits off hand, but I can tell you that if you measure the rings, and buy rings based on bore, ring thickness, etc, you can probably get what ever you want. Bear in mind that you need to make the cylinder bore surface right for the rings being used. We used to use a profilometer to measure PK, RPK, and RVK on the cylinder walls and would vary it to the engineer's preference for the rings being used. Ductile iron Molly were always my favorite. So far as pistons go, JE will make what ever you want. Probably not much more than OEM, maybe $140 each.
All that said, that is not where the power is in a motor. You can bore that out to the max (probably only .030 or so, I really have no idea on that motor), and you will gain VERY little. Guys who bore a motor and add a small amount of displacement and talk about how much power it has are imagining it. On the dyno there will be VERY little difference. If you want to add some punch, think top end. Cams and heads. Clean up the bowls a bit, DO NOT polish, DO NOT mess with the short side. Bike heads are pretty good. Use a carbide burr and gently rough up near the seat, best to have a head porter do this. But you do NOT want a smooth surface, that will reduce power as any fuel that drops out will not get back into the air. Some roughness will allow the fuel to spread out and vaporize back into the air and will burn. Plus there is a "boundary layer" where the air does not move that much, so the polished surface gains you nothing. Air is a fluid, like water. Look at a river flow. The water in the center flows faster than the water at the shore. Cams would be your easiest and cheapest way to add power. And if no one offers any you can have yours reground.

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:12 am

Then you find that the carbs are the next restriction, with no viable alternative other than a pair of Webers on Randakk manifolds (not sure that they will fit the 1200) and all the jetting grief that goes along with that.

You would have to find a way to make the non-adjustable electronic ignition adjustable or perhaps C5 make a version to fit the 1200, I'm not sure they do and you are looking a $$$$ if so.

You want faster easier? Go buy a faster bike! There's plenty out there.

Having said all that, read through all 12 pages of this NGW thread.

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”