You Have Saved a Life, a Bike & $$$$

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
medicrider
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

You Have Saved a Life, a Bike & $$$$

Postby medicrider » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:10 pm

As a new owner of a" Old Goldwing" (1986 Aspy) I have really appreciated all of the information that is on this forum. It has saved me lots of money, time and most likely my motorcycle and possibly even my life. When I purchased my bike last May, the PO told me that he had put new tires on it the year before... They looked good, plenty of tread depth etc. and I had no idea of how to tell anything about their age etc. After reading a few posts and learning how to tell the age of a tire I was shocked to find a date code of 4800!! These things are almost 14 years old! Thanks for the info that lets me know how unsafe these are! Now for my question... I would like to go back with the Dunlop Eliete II's that were on them, and ordered a set from Powersport Parts, they arrived in only a few days but are almost 2-1/2 years old as "New" they were gracious and have agreed to take them back, but does anyone have any good references on who to order from that ships "Fresh" tires? Powersport said these are not a very popular tire and are usually 2-3 year old when they send them out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: You Have Saved a Life, a Bike & $$$$

Postby themainviking » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:10 am

That is a real tough question. What I normally do is get hold of the company I am buying them from and ask them to send only tires dated within six months of when I order them. Canadas Motorcycles out of Montreal has been great for this. The first time, I had to explain to them how to tell the date, but since then they have been really good. I would use this Q & A with any online tire sales people. The only other method I can think of is to only buy locally, and if they have to order them, let them know you want current tires.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:35 am

+1 for Canada's Motorcycle.

In the USA try - Rocky Mountain ATV
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:15 am

cbx4evr wrote:+1 for Canada's Motorcycle.

In the USA try - Rocky Mountain ATV

+1 for Rocky Mountain ATV in the US, they consistently have the lowest price tires that I've looked for. They once sent me a set of tires that were over two years old, I sent them back and they replaced them with new - and they even paid for the return shipping on the old tires (after I complained). Good people there.

OnPapasWing
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE

Postby OnPapasWing » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:44 am

I bought mine (Dunlop E3) from a local dealer because I couldn't touch the price anywhere else. $65 - front and $100 - rear plus $40 each tire for install. I was concerned that I was gonna get some really dated tires that they were just trying to offload but was pleasantly surprised when I say the tires were from this year.
Apparently they just picked up a boat load of these tires so they could sell them cheap and try to drum up some new business. What the heck, I'll give them a chance (occasionally).

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”