Radio set up

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
alanc1100
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Radio set up

Postby alanc1100 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:26 am

Has anyone on here removed the factory radio (leaving the dock and all the wiring intact) and installed a new head unit with all the functions we want, by getting a male connector that will fit the dock and wire it up close to specs? I want to do this, but I have no idea where to look for the male connector. It would be nice to change channels and volume with the OEM switch. Let me know what you all think.

alanc1100
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Re: Radio set up

Postby alanc1100 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:31 am

Hi all, I found the answer to my own question on another forum.
Go to this link: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... l1200.html
Quinn4761 wrote the entire post from here on out.

Hey all. I have a background in 12v electronics, so naturally I am constantly finding ways to integrate aftermarket electronic devices to my goldwing.

I have found a way to rather easily connect an aftermarket radio to the goldwings using the factory amp and auto volume controls. At some point, I will try and figure out a way to tie into the cb system to allow that to continue to work without the factory radio, and also try and find a way to get factory wired remote to work also.

Until then, here is how you get sound from an aftermarket radio on a goldwing.

All the plugs for the factory radio setups from 84-87 seem to be the same from what I have researched. I have an 86 aspy with the rm-1300a radio and I believe the connector I obtained from Sierra-mc(fantastic people there by the way), did not come from this radio, but it works.

What you will need is the factory radio connector that is attached to the radio itself, as I was looking for a plug and play type setup that you find in a car. There is no need to cut wires if you don't want, so you could simply remove the connector and harness from the factory radio if you want.

Ok, if you have ever hooked up a radio in a car, this will be simple.

Aftermarket radio narness:
Yellow - constant battery
Red- accessory
Black - ground
Whites - left channel
Greys - right channel
Blue/stripe - remote turn on(optional, creates turn on pop)

Wires to use off of Factory Connector:
Pin 6 - Accessory power
Pin 8 - ground
Pin 13 - Right Channel
Pin 14 - Left Channel
Pin 15 - Speaker ground
Pin 16 - Power output for Auto Volume Control

Red -> Pin 6, can also tie in Pin 16 for AVC power
Blue/Stripped -> if you did not tie Pin 16 to Pin 6, you can connect it here, though there will be a small turn on pop sound as the remote turn on is a delayed output
Black -> Pin 8, also tie in Pin 15 to ground as well, (will discuss later)
Yellow -> run to battery, can also tie into clock power as it is contant. I hooked it up to Pin 6 for the purposes of testing. This will work, but you will not maintain any radio stations settings, etc.
White -> solid color to Pin 14
Grey -> solid color to Pin 13

The 2 other front channel wires, white/black and grey/black, do not get used. The goldwings have a common ground speaker system in them. All this means is that the negative channel wires to the speakers pull there signal from the bike ground. Tieing Pin 15 to Pin 8, produces the ground signal needed for the speakers.

In order to get radio stations, you will need to purchase an antenna extension cable and run it from under the tool box in false tank up to the aftermarket radio. I just got the radio harness and everything figured out, so I have not come up with a dash mounting system yet, but rest assured, I will.

I am a pioneer fan, unfortunately pioneer does not make the radio that I would like to use. So if anyone is interested, I will be using a Dual XR4115, that you can actually purchase on walmarts website. It is a CD-less radio. AM,FM,USB, SD, and auxillary only. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Namsung-XR...eiver/16606799

Any questions let me know. I will update this with more pictures of the mounts and everything when I make them.
Attachments
Ready to power on
Ready to power on
Connector wiring
Connector wiring
More connections
More connections
Showing antenna coax
Showing antenna coax

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”