86 Aspencade Noise Filter

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
scrbowler
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

86 Aspencade Noise Filter

Postby scrbowler » Sun May 23, 2010 2:38 pm

I'm new to the Goldwing world and have a question I cannot seem to find an answer for.

I purchased this bike non-running with a charging problem that was conveyed as possible stator or regulator issue. In troubleshooting the problems I notice when we got the bike running is that smoke (electrical) was coming out of the lower rear most part of the noise filter that is bolted to the regulator on the left side under the false tank. The wiring becomes very hot coming out of the noise filter.
What is the purpose of the noise filter and can it be bypassed? The larger connector block has been burned and thus removed and hardwired. The bad thing is we do not know what wires would hook into the existing wires if we have to replace the noise filter? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Steve

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 86 Aspencade Noise Filter

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 24, 2010 11:46 am

The noise filter does just that - it filters noise from the rectifier output so that you don't hear it in the radio and intercom. Capacitors (which is what this is, essentially) do eventually wear out and fail. You can disconnect it, but you'll get more noise in the radio and intercom.

Which component is it that is getting hot?

GL1200 Filter
GL1200 Filter

The parts manual shows three things on the bike in this area:

16 - Part 31610-MG9-931 Filter Kit, Radio Noise
17 - Part 31620-ML8-770 Filter, Regulate Rectifier
18 - Part 31630-ML8-770 Filter, Line

Looks like 16 is the "kit" which consists of parts 17 and 18.

scrbowler

Postby scrbowler » Mon May 24, 2010 1:00 pm

Here is a photo I took of the assembly on the bike. I have removed it now but hopefully you can tell what I'm talking about.

The regulator is the square black box in the center of the picture, the part that is smoking is the black box attattched to it on the right side. The connector on the right comes out of the regulator which plugs into one of the wire coming out of the other box which you see coming out of it in the very lower right side of it in the picture (between the green and red wires). Unfortunately following some advice of others I had cut out the connector and soldered the wires together then put shrink wrap around each so that connector in the picture is no longer there. I think that the connector will plug directly into the connect that the black box in question plugs into and that is why I asked can the noise filter? be bypassed.

Thanks for your input and help.
Steve

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 24, 2010 1:15 pm

That's definitely the noise filter (item 17 in the parts diagram).

You can bypass it if you want, the bike will still run just fine. But you may end up with quite a bit of noise in the audio system as a result.

scrbowler

Postby scrbowler » Mon May 24, 2010 2:47 pm

I can deal with that part of it right now. Another question is would this cause any issues with the charging of the system? I was checking with a small volt/ohm meter and it gave me some readings that I was unsure of when checking at the battery terminals after I got the bike started. Running about 1500 rpm and instead of a battery I had to jump in from my pickup with jumper cables. Not sure if this is the best way to check but all I had at the time. I seemed to be getting as much as 40 volts at the battery terminals but with the wiring going through the noise filter I am unsure if that doesn't have some effect on the stator output. Would you say that is a true statement? Should I remove the noise filter and make the connections then test again for a better reading? Would you recomend that I get a battery for it to complete the system first? The only thing I am concerned about is the original owner of the bike had just gotten service work done on the bike which included a new batter and within 300 miles this happened to it and this is the second person I've heard this happening to with new battery installation. Is there anything in particular that could have been done wrong to cause this or might it be the regulator too? I checked the stator with the ohm meter and I got continuity between all 3 lines (all yellow wires) and each to a ground and nothing there so I'm pretty confident that stator is working ok. I'm just trying to minimize the cost effort in troubleshooting the real problem.

thank you again for use of your experience, It is much appreciated.
Steve

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 24, 2010 3:23 pm

Removing that noise filter shouldn't affect the charging. That said, you should never EVER run the bike without a battery in it. The battery is used as a voltage sink and stabilizer, and without the battery, the regulator is going to attempt to send ALL power to a battery that isn't there - and instead, will send overvoltage to all of the systems on the bike - which is why you were seeing 40 volts at the battery terminals! Was the noise filter smoking and heating up when you were running without a battery? If so, that's a fairly good reason why - capacitors can only handle so much voltage before failing.

scrbowler

Postby scrbowler » Mon May 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Yes we were. I was unaware of that being an issue. I will get a battery in it right away then begin to find out if there is any other damage.
When we got the bike the connector from the noise filter to the regulator had melted the plastic away in the middle of it. It had been unplugged and the guy said it quit charging. I'm not sure if it quit charging due to the fact that he unplugged the connector or if the wiring got hot enough to do the damage. That is where I started looking into the bike and was told that I either had a stator problem or a regulator problem. If that was unplugged in my mind it would definately mess up the charging system but I'm unsure if the wiring was damaged enough to break connection when it melted. The guy just said it quit running and he was tired of spending money on it. It sat for four years till I got my hands on it a couple of weeks ago. I have a local guy that has a new regulator for it so parts are readily available. Once I put the battery in it what should I check to see if the regulator and stator are acting normal?

scrbowler

Postby scrbowler » Mon May 24, 2010 10:05 pm

I now have a wiring question. Since the connector has been cut off the regulator and the wires matched to the wires into the noise filter, is there a difference in the wires and what they join with on the other connector plug? Let me explain, there are three wires coming from the stator (all yellow with no distinct markings). Also in the original connector there are two wires with a white stripe along with two green wires and a black wire. As long as the yellow wires connect to yellow wires does it make any difference which one they connect to? Same with the red with a white stripe? Same with the green?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 24, 2010 10:56 pm

Right. Yellow goes to yellow (doesn't matter which), red goes to red (doesn't matter which) and green goes to green (doesn't matter which).

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”