1986 Goldwing 1200 sei aspencade

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
bigdaddy2
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1200 aspencade

1986 Goldwing 1200 sei aspencade

Postby bigdaddy2 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:14 pm

Someone just gave me the above mentioned bike. I am wondering how the air suspension works? It has an air valve on right side along with a couple of buttons...any help for us beginners???

rosey1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200L Goldwing

Re: 1986 Goldwing 1200 sei aspencade

Postby rosey1 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:12 pm

You have a controller on the right side handle bar that has rear and front air pressure controller switches to help you to raise or lower air pressure as to how you like the bike to feel or also to help carry a heavier load. If they won't work you may need to do the WD-40 trick on them and play with them til the start increasing pressure. Also mine only works when the engine is running and the pressure regulator tells you how much pressure you have as you push up or down on switch. Th button on the fairing lower is for using the air ride compressor to aid in airing up tires and you need an auxilliary hose for this. They seem to always end up lost... Could probably make a fortune just off this little item :D Anyway good luck with killer cruiser.

raycw
Motorcycle: 88 GL1500

Postby raycw » Thu May 27, 2010 11:04 pm

I'm working from memory here but....
isn't the control buttons on the left side handlebar ??? Otherwise bigdaddy2's info is spot on. WD40 will work miracles sometimes.

Bigevilone
Motorcycle: 1986 honda goldwing GL1200 aspencade

Postby Bigevilone » Sun May 30, 2010 8:43 am

figured I'd throw my thoughts in here also, I have an 86 aspencade also and all the controls for my air suspension are on the right hand side lower fairing, has 4 buttons and the air valve for the hose (which I keep locked in my trunk's upper compartment). There are two buttons for either front or back, and then there are 2 for increase and decrease of air pressure, I have the digital dash in my bike and when I hit either front or back the gas / temp area of the digital readout changes to an air readout. doesn't give you psi or anything but it does have indicators as to relative areas the psi should safely be. Another note is that I can only inflate or deflate the suspension while the bike is in neutral and the key is on doesn't have to be running but I prefer to have it running for less strain on the battery, as for the inflation valve it seems to work once the hose is hooked up no matter if I am pushing front or back suspension. Hope I might have been able to help if the controls on your bike are not on the handle bars, safe riding.

raycw
Motorcycle: 88 GL1500

Postby raycw » Sun May 30, 2010 9:34 am

You're right about the Aspencade but it's different on the SEi. I'm looking at my Service Manual Supplement for the SEi and found the picture I was thinking of... with the controls for the 'Self Leveling Suspension' on the left side handle bar. It has 3 toggles that control 'Front/Rear', 'Increase/Decrease', and 'Pressure test/Auto Level'. The Pressure Readout is on the right side, lower fairing where the controls for the Aspencade used to be.

rmcgee
Motorcycle: 1981 Goldwing 1100

Postby rmcgee » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:39 am

I purchased an SEI last year. Sorry for being such a newb but I have a few basic questions about this too. I assume this is supposed to be a closed system. You set the pressure for the front/rear shocks and it should stay that way, right? You can use the controls to increase/deacrease, check the pressure, set the autoleveling system and choose the front or rear. Is the display down on the right where the the Aspencade's controls used to be supposed to show the current PSI or the target PSI (I supposed they should be the same within a short period of time)? When I use the self leveling system, each time I get on the bike, it sets the front and the back to different numbers each time. It doesn't seem like the the increase or decrease pressure switches are working properly. I'll have to play around with it a bit more but I just wanted to verify how the system was supposed to function before I started testing for leaks or replacing/rebuilding shocks, etc.

Thanks in advance!

-Ryan

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”