Electrical help?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
rosey1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200L Goldwing

Electrical help?

Postby rosey1 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:19 am

I recently added the Poorboy kit and I wired it to an electrical souce that I thought was okay but in fact was a big no no. The igniter source wire I used was the white wire going into the trip meter box. I have since fried the stereo, and gauges as neither works and the battery went dead. I checked all the fuses and they seem okay but I fear I may have messed up royally. I'm a mechanic by trade and I should have known better but if anyone has any suggestions that could keep me from a total rewire I'd sure appreciate it.

tricky

Re: Electrical help?

Postby tricky » Tue May 25, 2010 9:14 pm

For starters, did you check the fuses in the left pocket? That's if there are any there on the LTD
edit.... there is a 7.5 amp fuse in the left pocket...(but I think that is only for memory to the radio)

C27 is the red connector in the left pocket run the checks in the picture
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 26, 2010 1:27 pm

I spent about ten minutes going blind trying to follow that white wire through the 1200 LTD schematic to see what it's connected to...and the answer is, "an awful lot." :) If I'm not mistaken, it is powered when the fuel pump turns on (fuse & relay 5, I believe). Other things are hooked to it as well though - I don't know if they are powered all the time or not.

You should have connected the alternator exciter directly to one of the "ON" leads from the ignition switch (black wire), but you probably know that now.

rosey1

Postby rosey1 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:55 am

Thx guys, I've purchased a new dash from Ebay and await its' arrival to find if I actually fried the stock unit as I haven't found anywhere that shows how to test the LCD dash unit. I was curious as to whether the lighting unit was part of the power unit for the trip console because I'm hoping that it is okay? I know that the four way joy stick with tone control is separate from the trip meter and the trip meter still works but I don't know if the unit stereo part works yet as the radios are a bit spendy and I fried mine and finding a good one at a cheap price is almost impossible. Can't wait to get it all ironed out so I can get it tabbed and ride brother ride(weather permitting, I'm in Oregon :evil: ).

rosey1

Postby rosey1 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:59 am

All fuses and connections have been checked and I mean all. Whew! This bikes an electrical nightmare kinda like working on a caddy...Hmm I guess it is a caddy of sorts. I've got a new dash coming and hope to find everything else is ok... Will keep you apprised of situation... Thx Rex

Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Thu May 27, 2010 8:02 am

Oh geeze I really feel for you. That's one of the reasons I try to stay away from modifiactions :( I sure you have a good wiring diagrahm. Thats is going to help alot :)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”