Best..better..ok Oils???

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
antiqbob
Motorcycle: 86 HONDA GL1200A Aspencade

Best..better..ok Oils???

Postby antiqbob » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:08 pm

I am sure it has been visited often, I have an 86 GoldWing 1200 aspencade.
While I have been collecting information from different sources, but am not sure which brand oil to use.. I had infomation to use Delo LE 15-40, but when I went to get that I found Delo"400" LE 15-40?? Is that that same..

I have been a long term fan of Castrol, but when I went to get Castrol I was told that I need to get the Castrol motorcycle oil..At $10.50 per quart???

I have also from reading older issues I have been told Rotella T..

So can someone clear the air??? I know everyone has a favorite oil, but I just want to find something that is not going to cost me an arm and leg and will not damage clutchs etc.. and will be usable in my bike.,..
Oh I am so confused.... :?:
Suggestions?
antiqbob

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Re: Best..better..ok Oils???

Postby detdrbuzzard » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:34 pm

I just got four quarts of Castrol 20w 50 t4 for about $4.00 from autozone
'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

BigBro
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200i Interstate

Postby BigBro » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Delo 400 LE 15W40 is what my wing likes. about $12/ gal @ the local walmart.
I hear the Rotella T6 is also good for the wings.

The one thing I consistently hear is do not use Friction Modifiers or the economy efficient stuff.
Your wet clutch doesn't like those friction modifiers.

YMMV and someone else more knowledgeable than myself will be along shortly.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:47 am

If you want truth about motor oils, you can't do better than to visit the Petroleum Quality Institute of America (PQIA) website located here: http://www.pqiamerica.com/

I've run Rotella T 15-40 motor oil in my motorcycles for as long as I can remember. Recently, after buying my Goldwing (GL1200) I switched to Delo 400 LE 15-40 (Like Rotella T, it is considered a Heavy Duty Engine Oil) because there is more Zinc and Molybdenum added to the Delo 400 LE than Rotella T. There are several other oils that are in the same class of oils, Delvac is one, as is the WalMart "SuperTech (store) brand.

According to the PQIA website, the WalMart store brand oil is about the same blend as Delvac, if I recall correctly. I would not hesitate to use the SuperTech oil in my Goldwing.

I change oil and filters often. Synthetic oils are wonderful. If I bought a brand new, leak-free, motorcycle, I'd be tempted to use a heavy duty synthetic oil in the bike. Since my Old-Wing came to me with unknown maintenance history (oil looked like TAR when I got it home), I changed oil and filter as soon as I started riding it, at 500 miles, at 1500 miles, and now I'm changing oil at about 2500 mile intervals. Each oil change includes a fresh filter. I feel oil is cheaper than an engine or transmission -oil related- failure...

There's also a good website "Bob is the OIlguy" I think it's called, where people who have forgotten more about oil than I'll ever know talk about oil properties in terms I can't understand. What I did "get" out of reading messages on that website is, MANY prefer the Delo 400 LE over all other brands and blends of oil in motorcycle engines. Water cooled engines aren't as hard on oil as are air cooled engines, and Delo 400 LE comes highly recommended for both... that's what got me to switch from the Rotella T that I had been extremely satisfied with for many years. The Delo "seems" to make the engine run a little quieter, and the transmission shift a little more smoothly... these things are very subjective, and I could be imagining them... I can say my Goldwing runs well, with 72,000 miles on it, and the oil is cleaner looking with each subsequent oil/filter change I've done since buying the bike (63K on it when I bought it)...

Truth is, as long as you buy ANY oil that meets or exceeds the rating in your owners manual, and you don't run it too long in the crankcase, they all work very well. If our fathers had oil available to them that was as good as the oil(s) we have available to us, those old Fords, Chevys and Mopar engines would have lasted a lot longer.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

antiqbob
Motorcycle: 86 HONDA GL1200A Aspencade

Postby antiqbob » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:22 pm

OK, my thanks for the information.. I did check with my local autozone and discovered that it apparently is dependant on whether or not I want synthetic oil... Mostly the price increases...
I did not realize that there was a synthetic and non synthetic oil??? in each brand. Well I guess I knew it but until I was facing $30 for 3 quarts of the stuff... For information that $10.50 is for the synthetic..
NonSynthetic is around the $6/quart price range..

My big question with the Delo oil was the "400" added to the name. I wanted to get that and there was a lot of information previously agreeing that it is one of the better choices... But I was not sure about the 400 part. My thanks for your input..Cleared that right up..

I did pick up some Rotella which was about $4 less than the 5 quarts of Delo.. I am still considering it I might return the Rotella for the Delo..

Anyway my thanks again for the input..
antiqbob

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:41 pm

I buy the gallon containers. There's always some left over, which I just save for the next time. I think I pay about $12.50 a gallon at WalMart for the Delo 400 LE. The SuperTech can be had for a dollar two less.

I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”