Trip Computer Problem - '85 GL1200 LTD

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
BikerNewsman
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited - Anniversary Edition

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Trip Computer Problem - '85 GL1200 LTD

Postby BikerNewsman » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:29 am

I can't figure out a quick way to ask this question so please bear with me.

The trip computer has never had any sort of malfunction, even during or after torrential rain. I removed the false tank, thus the trip computer, to replace the reservoir that sits just behind the fuel fill cap almost under the front of the seat. While the seat and false tank was off I washed what I could get to under both, allowed several hours for everything to dry, then reassembled. Once reassembled I started my bike and found that only the clock and time zone map was displaying on the computer. I shut the bike down to check the two connections and noticed as I turned the ignition switch past "accessory" the display came up, so I turned it back to "run". When I did the display disappeared. Back to "accessory" and everything appeared. Back to "run" and it all disappeared again.

Thinking it had to do with one of the connections I took them apart, put them back in, then turned the key. This time there was no display at all. Nothing happens if I jiggle the wires or the ignition switch, however I can switch the dash display back and forth from engine temp to oil pressure by pushing that button on the trip computer.

Is there some sort of fuse or resettable power link inside the trip computer that may have picked up some moisture in the connectors or another component and "blew"? I couldn't find a fuse or relay under the access door that specified it was for the trip computer.

Any ideas / solutions? The bike runs regardless of whether the trip computer is hooked up or not.

"It ain't about the miles, it's all about the smiles".
My (non-commercial) motorcycle blog = http://dixieriders.wordpress.com/purpose/

BikerNewsman

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Re: Trip Computer Problem - '85 GL1200 LTD

Postby BikerNewsman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:03 am

After checking this out more over the weekend I noticed that all of the backlights work so the computer is getting power into part of it, but while the oil temp/oil pressure button works to change that part of the display on the dash none of the other buttons work, i.e. the kilometer/miles button, digital tach readout/graphic readout, etc. Haven't tried the trip reset button because I'm tracking that mileage. Also, the low fuel indicator light stays on (tank is 3/4 full) when the trip computer is hooked up, and goes out when the trip computer is unplugged.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:50 pm

I would be more inclined to examine the connectors - clean them very well with a plastic-safe electrical contact cleaner (CRC is my favorite) and examine to make sure none of the connector pins have been bent.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:55 pm

Usually with weird combinations of problems,your troubles end up being a lack of a ground.the back lighting is on a seperated circuit.
Suspect or augment(bypass) any solid dark green wire.A temporary bypass can be done at any plug that has this wire.Even a bit of corrosion at a plug on a green wire is suspect,including where they bolt to the frame.

BikerNewsman

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:05 am

Thanks! I'll check both of these items out. When the problem first started I did a quick look at the connectors where the wires go in to see if any appeared loose. None did, but I didn't check out the "business end". Should have. :( I'll do a much more thorough check, and cleaning, tomorrow.

Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:09 am

BikerNewsman wrote:Thanks! I'll check both of these items out. When the problem first started I did a quick look at the connectors where the wires go in to see if any appeared loose. None did, but I didn't check out the "business end". Should have. :( I'll do a much more thorough check, and cleaning, tomorrow.

If all else fails I have a few spare trip computers. I could be persuaded to part with one if needed

BikerNewsman

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:16 pm

@ AWLKRSN - Thanks for the offer. I wasn't able to get back to checking that out like I thought. Hope to be able to in the next day or two. I'll keep your offer in mind if I run into further problems with it. If you want, feel free to PM me about how much you'd like for one of those in case I need it.

washandy98664
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby washandy98664 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:17 pm

My trip computer only has a couple of lights that work.
The map of the USA lights up and flashes but thats about it.
I had seen that there is reference to some fuses.
Once again where are they located?
Thnaks

BikerNewsman

Previously owned:
1969 HD Sporty
1974 Yamaha 650

Postby BikerNewsman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:51 pm

BikerNewsman wrote:@ AWLKRSN - Thanks for the offer. I wasn't able to get back to checking that out like I thought. Hope to be able to in the next day or two. I'll keep your offer in mind if I run into further problems with it. If you want, feel free to PM me about how much you'd like for one of those in case I need it.

I checked out the connectors and cleaned them. All but one was in good shape. I traced the wiring as far as I could without disasembling anything looking for breaks in any of the wires. No problems found there. I removed and opened the travel computer looking for some sort of fuse or reset button. It was clean inside, pristine looking actually, so no water has entered it, and there's no dust buildup to cause overheating. Didn't find anything that looked like a fuse or reset button. All of the connections inside were tight and no wires were broken and no cracks in the circuit board. The backlight bulbs are in good shape, but it appears the digital display (map, etc.) is not displayed with a bulb but a sort of screen that's part of a circuit board (lcd / led??).

Any suggestions regarding what else to check before replacing the computer?

Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:44 am

The only things inside the computer user replacable are the bulbs for illumination. Sounds like you have everything else covered. Like you stated there aren't any fuses or resets in there. Looks like you will need to replace it ! 8-)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”