Front brakes a concern.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Front brakes a concern.

Postby made2care » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:46 pm

Front brakes have new pads. I remember the calipers were not that easy to push back. I did not restore the calipers. Today was my first ride on the bike. After 100 of hrs on working on her, the ride was great, even though I still have to put the rest of the plastics on. Here's my question on the brakes. When pulling on front brake lever, brakes work, but there is a scratching sound like the brakes pads are right on the brake disk. This happens all the time , even when I don't use them. Should this be a concern?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Front brakes a concern.

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:57 pm

made2care wrote:Front brakes have new pads. I remember the calipers were not that easy to push back. I did not restore the calipers. Today was my first ride on the bike. After 100 of hrs on working on her, the ride was great, even though I still have to put the rest of the plastics on. Here's my question on the brakes. When pulling on front brake lever, brakes work, but there is a scratching sound like the brakes pads are right on the brake disk. This happens all the time , even when I don't use them. Should this be a concern?

Sounds like the pistons are not retracting properly. This will cause your new pads to be worn down to nothing in short order. Unfortunately the only way to fix it is to rebuild (and clean) the calipers. The fact that the pistons were hard to retract points to this being the problem as well.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:09 am

Or you don't have the calipers adjusted correctly and one of them is rubbing on the rotor.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:23 am

There's a fluid return port in the master cylinder that prevents the caliper from locking in place after the brake lever, or pedal is released. It's a tiny little bugger, that a guitar string seems to make the perfect tool for cleaning. If that port won't allow fluid to return to the reservoir, it could be preventing your caliper retraction.

One way to check is to pump the brake lever hard a few times, then release the lever and open the bleed screw slightly. If there is pressure in the caliper after the lever or pedal is released, you'll see it when you crack the bleeder open (slightly, as you don't want to put air in the caliper). If you can watch or have someone else watch the caliper while releasing built up pressure in the caliper, you may also see the slight retraction of the pistons as pressure (if there is some) is relieved from the bleeder...

It could also be that you will have to rebuild the brake caliper(s).
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Ed Z
Motorcycle: 2006 gl1800
1987 gl1200 Aspen
1983 gl650 Intersta

Postby Ed Z » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:35 am

Once you have the seals removed from the caliper check for corrosion in the groove the seal live in... Likely there will be some in there... The groove must be completely cleaned of this corrosion else it will cause the seals to bind on the caliper pistons... I used a good quality caliper assembly grease in the grooves once they are clean...
Also don't forget to clean and grease the caliper slider pins so that it can float side to side as needed...

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”