frustrated beyong all measure

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
loopy
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 interstate

frustrated beyong all measure

Postby loopy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:41 am

I thought I had solved the rough idling and engine missing under 2500 rpm.

Replaced with new plugs, new air filter, new leads, injector cleaner in my last tank of fuel.

Still when accelerating and under 2500 rpm the engine almost resembles starving for fuel and occasional slight cough but once over 2500 rpm runs like a swiss watch.

Many years ago my old car did this when the timing was not set correctly. Is that possible with my 84 1200 interstate goldy.

If not -do I need to take the fearing off and work on the carbies --yuk

1981wing
Motorcycle: 1981 GL 1100 Like a Moron I sold it!
1985 GL1200i Current Ride

Re: frustrated beyong all measure

Postby 1981wing » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:10 pm

Just my 2cents. First we got to figure out if problem is electrical skip or a fuel cough. I would run it at night looking for any electrical problem and also have air filter off to see if when skips or coughs there is any fire coming back thru carbs in the intake area. (If it has Carbs) On my 1981wing with carbs it acted the same as what you saying. Great on high speed but idle was a messy either idles to high or quits. Did a carburator sync to it rite by the book and I could not believe how far the linkage was off. Carb butterflys where open to far or not enough and the main idle screw was holding butterflys to far open just so that it would stay running. It had what you would think was an electrical skip but actually was a fuel cough because of wrong mixture. Somewhere on this site there is an excellent info about how to sync carbs. (Do a search)I did not realize how important this is on these bikes. Can be done with $5 vacume guage but not as accurate as buying the carb sync tool. if that is your problem you will find that as you adjust linkage on each carb the RPMs will keep increaseing until you have to keep backing the main idle screw off to hold Rpms at about 800

Let me know, Cecil
Motor needs 3 things in this order to run and a 4 thing to run right
1. Compresson 2. Spark 3. Gas / I guarntee it will run
4. Timing 3 types: (Valve timing) and (Ignition timing) and (Fuel timing sync)

1981wing

Postby 1981wing » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:20 pm

A good way to check for electric skip is to hook up a timing light and again run the bike at night and you can see by watching the light blink if one particular cyclinder is skipping

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:37 pm

I didn't take the faring off to do my carbs (84 gl1200).
Get it to run poorly and add just a little "choke".
This is a fuel enrichment valve.If it smooths out you confirm it is carb related.
Also,start the bike from cold and keep it below 1200 rpm for 8 seconds.Shut it down.
Lightly tap each header for warmth.The cold one is the dead cylinder.
Expect a plugged or misadjusted idle jet(circuit) for that cylinder.
Start the idle jets around 3 turns out.adjust for idle down and a good sync.

loopy
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 interstate

Postby loopy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:03 pm

1981wing wrote:Just my 2cents. First we got to figure out if problem is electrical skip or a fuel cough. I would run it at night looking for any electrical problem and also have air filter off to see if when skips or coughs there is any fire coming back thru carbs in the intake area. (If it has Carbs) On my 1981wing with carbs it acted the same as what you saying. Great on high speed but idle was a messy either idles to high or quits. Did a carburator sync to it rite by the book and I could not believe how far the linkage was off. Carb butterflys where open to far or not enough and the main idle screw was holding butterflys to far open just so that it would stay running. It had what you would think was an electrical skip but actually was a fuel cough because of wrong mixture. Somewhere on this site there is an excellent info about how to sync carbs. (Do a search)I did not realize how important this is on these bikes. Can be done with $5 vacume guage but not as accurate as buying the carb sync tool. if that is your problem you will find that as you adjust linkage on each carb the RPMs will keep increaseing until you have to keep backing the main idle screw off to hold Rpms at about 800

Let me know, Cecil

Hi Cecil
I believe it needs a carby sync. I had a search for any posts on carby sync for my 84 1200 interstate but unsuccessful. Do you know of any such posts.
Jeff ( Adelaide Australia )

1981wing

Postby 1981wing » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:11 pm

Do a search on youtube.com for: Honda Goldwing Carburator Syncronize this link should work // it should be Steve Saunders video //

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”