GL 1200 Cylinder head issue and Cam question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Damgaard
Motorcycle: GL 1200 Aspencade 1985

GL 1200 Cylinder head issue and Cam question

Postby Damgaard » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:45 am

Since my problem regarding coolant entering to the exaust port - a little update.

I have got my 2 cylinder heads back from milling and pressure test - that should be okay.
The non OEM cylinder gaskets did fail and let water pass to the cylinders and compression back to the coolant.
Again - and i knew it... ONLY USE OEM GASKETS...

But i discovered that my cam lobes had serious pitting in the surface - and the rocker arm pads too...
Are all cams identical in GL1200 ? I mean any difference if carburator or fuel injected ?

I'm looking for a pair of good cams and rocker arms...

Is it possible to grind the pads on the rocker arms ? I mean to make a "run in" on an other camshaft ?

Greetings from Denmark
Lars

flash1942
Motorcycle: '84 Aspencade

Re: GL 1200 Cylinder head issue and Cam question

Postby flash1942 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Not sure but I would think that there is no difference between FI and carb models when it comes to the engine proper. I have seen pitting on cams and followers on other models. It will run a VERY long time without problems with pitted surfaces. And if memory serves me, I think that Honda puts Stellite on cam lobes and followers for durability, so grinding then would not be the thing to do.

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Re: GL 1200 Cylinder head issue and Cam question

Postby Old Fogey » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:25 am

Glad that you understand the importance of removing the sign of running on the follower pads and cams before swapping in another cam.
The followers have a Stellite coating, very hard, but they can be cleaned up with fine Emery cloth or paper. Just takes a while.Wrap the Emery around something hard and flat so that you keep the surface flat.
The same can be done with the cams. They are simple toughed cast steel, still quite hard but no coating. In both cases remove as little material as possible.

It takes a bit of work, but the results are worth it. There is a strong possibility that if you skip these stages, your new cam will be wiped out in fairly short order!

Have a look here:
http://www.wingovations.com/cams-and-rockers/4579471096
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”