Cleaning the wheels???

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
wingmanltd
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition

Cleaning the wheels???

Postby wingmanltd » Mon May 31, 2010 4:08 pm

Hi everyone....I just removed the back wheel to have a new tire put on my 85 limited. I just bought it last week and seriously, it looks like the wheels have never been cleaned. It looks like a 20 some odd years of braked dust and whatever else is on there. Is there anything on the market that will take the crud off and somewhat bring them back to normal. I understand that some spots will not come off but i'd certainly like to get most of it off. The wheels look like crap. Also, much of the chrome is somewhat rusty. I know there are you bike magicians out there and I'm trying to tap your expertise. As usual, thanks much for any suggestions.

Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd
84aspy

Re: Cleaning the wheels???

Postby Right Winger » Mon May 31, 2010 5:48 pm

:Real funny you should bring this up I am in the process right now of cleaning/recondishioning my wheels right now. My wheels aren't too bad on the LTD but since I have to get new tires and I have a spare pair of wheels. I am working on the spares. First I washed them down in some detergent then used a polishing compound to cut the (aluminum) surface a little then I used a drill driven polishing buffer and the bar compound. (Believe me it is not going to be easy)Then I used some 220 wet/dry sand paper on the black part sanded it all down lightly then painted the black with engine enamel. I've only done one wheel so far. I wished I had taken a picture before I put it on the bike yesterday. It is pretty. I will take a picture of the rear when I am done. I am going to have the tire taken ( tomorrow ) off first. The long and the short of it,there is no magic formula that I know of. But once you get them clean regular maintenence should keep them from getting like they are now. I actully have five more to go :roll: I might try to clear coat a pair to see how they come out :)

wingmanltd
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition

Postby wingmanltd » Mon May 31, 2010 8:10 pm

Many thanks for that info......I will give it a try and yes, I know it's gonna be a job! Good riding to you my friend!

Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd
84aspy

Postby Right Winger » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:52 am

You're quite welcome ! ;) I wished I could have better news for you ,but after doing mine for years there just isn't a better way except wheels off and hands on :lol: I used to get compliments from other wingers in my area all the time. Asking what do I use on my wheels and where can they get some. I just pull up my sleeve and shoe them my elbo , and the smiles quickly turn to frowns :lol:

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”