LWST ERROR

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Tricofisher
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

LWST ERROR

Postby Tricofisher » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:55 am

I have an 85 Goldwing Aspencade that I have few questions about. Just recently when I start it, it is slow to crank and the volt display reads 8.8 volts with the letters " LWST " in the upper left corner of the volt display. What does this code mean? Also does anyone know where I can get a PDF copy of the users manual? Thanks in advance.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: LWST ERROR

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:54 am

If you "Google" gl1200 manual I'm sure you can find a copy to download. That's how I got mine. I don't know what your trouble light means.

What I wanted to ask you to check is, the three yellow wires that feed the rectifier/regulator from the stator (there is a connector just to the front of the battery box) may be corroded. When I first purchased my 1200, I was advised to check the connector and to "hard wire" the stator to R/R wires to eliminate the connector.

My bike was charging and running fine, so I put off checking the plug for a time. One day, I was goofing in the yard checking things on the bike, so I decided I'd check that connector while I was out there. I unplugged it and had a look at the wires. The connectors were almost burned apart, and the wires were corroded and scary looking. I got out some soldering equipment and cut and spliced the wires together that moment...

If the connector is corroded, poor contact between the stator and R/R will eventually destroy the stator. It is apparently the main reason that gl1200's are "known" to have stator problems. It isn't the stator, necessarily, but the failure of these 3-pronged connectors to feed power from the stator to the rectifier / regulator that ruins the stator...

So, if the 3 yellow wires (they will have a black covering over them, but the wires are yellow) haven't been spliced, that's the first place I'd look for your low voltage problem, and I wouldn't ride ANYWHERE until you check out that Stator.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”