couple maintenance questions

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
csfam9
Motorcycle: 1986 goldwing interstate

couple maintenance questions

Postby csfam9 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:28 am

On my 86 interstate. Rebuilt the carbs and did sync. Idles good and good throttle response. But at speed 3-6 rpm range it surges and seems to backfire into airbox. Bikes been sitting up for a while. I did starter . carbs. Timing belts. Anyone have this before? Also on left engine case guard. Do I need to drop exhaust to install? It was removed by previous owner. And I'm trying go get it all back together and rod worthy.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: couple maintenance questions

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:28 am

Backfiring through the airbox can be one of two things I can think of: Timing and exhaust blockage. If you just changed the belts, timing probably isn't an issue... so, I'd try to find out if a mouse stored some nuts or nesting material in the pipe(s) or it could be some rust accumulated inside that's giving the trouble..

Of course, there's always the possibility that I'm full of boloney and it is something else entirely.

I believe the crash bars can be installed without exhaust removal. Last time I put a set on was on an 1100, and I had to hold my mouth just right to get them in but I wiggled them around until they fit without removing anything except the mounting bolts.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:40 am

When belts were replaced was the engine turned over several times to validate that all marks still line up. One tooth off could cause this problem. Very possible the coil is breaking down on the high end.

csfam9

Postby csfam9 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:50 am

I did triple check the belts before I put it together. And did rotate the motor over. I do hear the fuel pump clicking. Even at speed. But not sure how fast due to speedo not reading or working.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Check for vacuum leaks. A vacuum leak can cause an overly lean condition and backfiring can occur. Since you "rebuilt" the carbs is there a possibility you didn't get the floats adjusted properly. The float adjustments on these old girls are very critical. This can also cause a lean condition. Just thinking here. Ouch!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:43 pm

dingdong wrote:Check for vacuum leaks. A vacuum leak can cause an overly lean condition and backfiring can occur. Since you "rebuilt" the carbs is there a possibility you didn't get the floats adjusted properly. The float adjustments on these old girls are very critical. This can also cause a lean condition. Just thinking here. Ouch!

Chances are, you're far more likely to be right than me.. I didn't think about float height following a carb rebuild.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

csfam9

Postby csfam9 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:18 pm

I'll check float levels. I was busy and local honda shop did ultrasonic clean and rebuild with a bench flow test for 200. I'll also check the coils. Does a loud fuel pump indicate impending faikyre?

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:32 pm

csfam9 wrote:I'll check float levels. I was busy and local honda shop did ultrasonic clean and rebuild with a bench flow test for 200. I'll also check the coils. Does a loud fuel pump indicate impending faikyre?

I don't know that anyone can predict when the fuel pump will fail. I know I can't. Mine used to tick real loudly when I bought it. I changed the fuel filter and all the fuel lines, and the ticking sound is much less audible unless I run the engine with the fuel shut off.

I bought a "cheap" replacement fuel pump, and I keep it in my left saddle bag. It is NOT a direct replacement for the stock pump, but it does have the required flow and pressure for my bike. Since I bought the replacement, the stock pump has been almost silent, so maybe just having a spare makes the pump last longer LOL...

I read a "how to" article on replacing the rubber inside the electronic pumps to make it quiet again. As far as I can recall, the "can" the pump is in has to be separated and then the rubber "cushion" disc inside can be replaced with a similar sized piece, making the tick, tick, ticking harder to hear. I've also read where the fuel pump from a 1985 Honda Prelude bolts pretty much right in place of the stock pump, if a replacement is needed. I'm sure you can still find a few "new old stock" fuel pumps, but it is my understanding it is a discontinued item (from Honda).

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 2005 GL1800ABS previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I + many other brands

Postby WINGER3 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:20 am

Regards to the exhaust for remounting crash bar, you only have to remove the exhaust nuts from under the head, then pull the exhaust pipes down about to the end of the studs, this gives enough space between the front pipe and lower frame for the crash bar leg that fits on the engine mount bolt to fit thrue, as I just did mine yesterday. You still have to hold your mouth and tongue in the exact position to get the leg between the exhaust pipes first befor you can rotate it to fit between the frame and pipe. Be carefull you don't scare up your valve cover when you rotate the crash bare to line it up. Good luck. :mrgreen:

DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”