Wire harness

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
sapps
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200a Aspencade

Wire harness

Postby sapps » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:48 am

Hello I just got my first bike. 1984 gl1200a . My question is the main wire harness is all complete in section or does it have connections to break down into sub groups such as seperate harness for the dash, seperate harness for the cooling system.

mrtwowheel
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Re: Wire harness

Postby mrtwowheel » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:55 am

My experience of working on old Hondas is that wiring harnesses are designed with quick assembly in mind and not replacement or repair in mind. If a subharness was necessary in assembly, there it is. There are some subharnesses on every model that I've worked on. Main harness to rear lights is probably the most common subharness. I've never met a harness yet that was so botched that it warrants replacement instead of repair. But these are bikes for riding, not for show.

Scott

sapps

Postby sapps » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:51 pm

thank you for answering me Scott.
the problem I have is my bike had a small electrical fire near the radiator fan and some wires and a hose got toasted. the bike will still fire up and run (I do not ride it yet until the wiring issues are corrected) and headlights and dash lights and electronics still work. I`m just trying to figure out which wire harness I need to buy or make. I also plan on checking and testing other electrical parts on the bike such as stator, alternator, fuse panel and regulator for any damage. Please advise me if there are any other areas I should check for damage. And again thank you for the assistance.

mrtwowheel
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Postby mrtwowheel » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:04 am

The fan draws a lot of amps, maybe you had a dirty, corroded or bad connection that caused your wires to get hot and burn, this usually happens inside of a connector. Any other connector on the fan circuit could also have gotten hot and carbonized, same for the fuse and maybe the fuse clips. Myself, I would just make good connections with solder and shrink tube over electrical tape. I've found plenty of tarnished and corroded connections under shrink tube lately, and old twisted together and taped connections that don't corrode at all if the tape stays intact. Check, clean and tighten any other connections in the circuit and be sure that the fan operates when needed. I like to save parts with finesse and skill instead of replacing.

Scott

sapps

Postby sapps » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:58 pm

this is the wire harness that I need. it supplys power/connection to the fan switch, cooling fan and I assume oil pressure switch.
Attachments
wire harness
wire harness

sapps

Postby sapps » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:35 pm

ok I found the part number for the wire harness after I posted the above picture. in case anyone is interested it is #32104-MG9-670 and of course no longer available. Looks like I will have to rebuild this harness.

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby rzaugg » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:19 pm

The last time I was in that far, the harness contains wiring for

1. Cooling Fan
2. Fan Temp Sensor/Switch
3. Dash Temp Gauge
4. Oil Pressure Light

Coolant switch that is closer to the front wheel is for the fan control. Other is for the gauge. The fan control switch will have two round posts and I hope that that plug didn't melt in the fire, will be hard to replace. Let me know if it did. I have an 84 that is totaled and have been using for parts, that part of the harness is still on the bike. I'll keep my eye on this posting for what you find and we can continue as needed.

Rick

sapps

Postby sapps » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:13 pm

just a follow up on my progress on this wire harness. I had to basically rebuild the harness. the electrical plug was good and about 1 foot from the plug the wires were good. I did found what caused this fire. The fan control switch had stop functioning and the PO or the PPO (bike has changed owners a couple of times) had hard wire a direct power supply from the fuse box to energize the fan constantly as long as the ignition switch was on. I followed the instruction on this site about repairing the fan switch by soaking it in vinegar over night and it did repair the switch. After putting it somewhat back together and ran it for a while I noticed the water pump was leaking. so now I'm waiting a few days for a water pump to be dropped off on my door step.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”