86' GL1200a Aspencade Poorboy Questions

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Quarteg
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200a Aspencade

86' GL1200a Aspencade Poorboy Questions

Postby Quarteg » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:21 am

I realize like many before me, I am beating a dead horse. My stator died (as you would suspect) and I really want the alternator on.

1. Where do I get the poorboy kit?

2. Where can I find instructions on installation? (if I can find this, then maybe I can use other people's suggestions of just going out and buying the parts instead of the Poorboy)

3. How long should I expect the job to take? (just a rough estimate)

4. Is there anyone from Wisconsin that has done this that would be willing to give me a hand if I get stuck?

5. What can I expect as an average cost (low end if I buy the parts, high end if I buy the kit)?

Thanks in advance.
~ John

"Good things come to those who wait. Great things come to those who go out and get them!" ~ John Chroninger 1998

nevada4419
Motorcycle: 1984 gl 1200

Re: 86' GL1200a Aspencade Poorboy Questions

Postby nevada4419 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:00 pm

Scroll down to Poorboy Conversion by nevada4419. I just did my 1984 my total cost including a gallon of anti-freeze was $487.00.

Quarteg

Postby Quarteg » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:10 pm

Thank you nevada4419. I read that all this morning and did not find many answers to my questions.
"Good things come to those who wait. Great things come to those who go out and get them!" ~ John Chroninger 1998

Quarteg

Postby Quarteg » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:21 am

So I did a lot of research to answer my questions. I wish I would have had a more help from this forum, but in case someone else has these questions, I will supply the answers.

Go to this website; http://gl1200goldwings.com/techcenter/article1003.htm Here you can email Don at goldwinger1984@yahoo.com Once you do that, he will show you the two kits available. He replies quickly, but when I asked a follow up question, I still have yet to hear a response.

2. Where can I find instructions on installation? (if I can find this, then maybe I can use other people's suggestions of just going out and buying the parts instead of the Poorboy)
You can find instructions at the above site.

I found that the job can take anywhere from 8 to 12 hours depending on if you want to clean the timing covers or not. This is recommended as you may not have another chance to get at them. This is also an optimal time to change your timing belts. Honda wants $93 for them but you can find the belts (Gate 5043) for $12.43 at; http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog ... _5043.html

4. Is there anyone from Wisconsin that has done this that would be willing to give me a hand if I get stuck?
No word on this yet.

5. What can I expect as an average cost (low end if I buy the parts, high end if I buy the kit)?
When Don sends you the kit pictures he will tell you (as of 8-20-14) that the full kit costs; $525.00 + $30.00 shipping/handling in the U.S. and the cheap set (missing the alternator, wires, and pulley belt will cost; $215.00 + $15.00 shipping/handling in the U.S.

I also saw people using different alternators than the one Don provides and it was recommended to go with; CHEVY MINI NEW ALTERNATOR DENSO STREET ROD RACE 1-WIRE NEW which can be found on E-Bay for $90 at; http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-MINI-NEW- ... 9a&vxp=mtr

The pulley on the alternator does not match the pulley with the kit so you will need to find a different pulley for the alternator. Does anyone know where to find a different pulley?

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

goodoni
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby goodoni » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Quarteg wrote:I realize like many before me, I am beating a dead horse. My stator died (as you would suspect) and I really want the alternator on.

Thanks in advance.
~ John

Quarteg,
1) As stated above, I used Don's kit and if fit perfectly. (I highly recommend) I used the GM alt. & cut the tab off.
2) Instructions are on this site, I can forward a pdf version if you need me to. I also have pics of my conversion.
3) 8-12 hours is a good estimate once you have all of the parts, measure twice cut once! you will trial fit the alternator a bunch of times, by patient- it worth it.
Also, buy a couple of belts; (1) a size smaller and (1) a size bigger than the one listed, once you find one that fits the best, return the others. (again it's trial and error)
4) I'm not in Wisconsin, but were all here every day on-line every day for.
5) my kit cost approx. $500 total.

If you have basic mechanical skills, you can do this.
You will not regret the conversion, all of my electrical problems disappeared, bike has been running great for 3 years. (except for my ignition switch failure)

Ride Safe
Goodoni

Quarteg

Postby Quarteg » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:50 pm

What GM alt did you use?

Can you please forward me the PDF? That would be great.

You said your kit cost around $500. Did you purchase the full kit or did you purchase the basic kit and buy everything else separate?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Quarteg wrote:So I did a lot of research to answer my questions. I wish I would have had a more help from this forum, but in case someone else has these questions, I will supply the answers.

Go to this website; http://gl1200goldwings.com/techcenter/article1003.htm Here you can email Don at goldwinger1984@yahoo.com Once you do that, he will show you the two kits available. He replies quickly, but when I asked a follow up question, I still have yet to hear a response.

Don is a member right here, you can send him a PM directly: Private Message to Don "Poorboy"

Quarteg

HELP!!!!!

Postby Quarteg » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:07 pm

Conversion started off well. Fairings came off with minimal difficulties, but when I look up and see where the bracket is supposed to go, I see a welded bar in my way. What should I do? What can I do?
Attachments

nevada4419
Motorcycle: 1984 gl 1200

Postby nevada4419 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:42 pm

I gave you this info before, but I will try again. Go to Poor-Boy Conversion by Nevada4419 and make sure you go down to the last entry.

Quarteg

Postby Quarteg » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks. It was late last night. I am making a video of every step in this process for future users. I came to that part and panicked. I got a hold of Don "Poorboy" and he said to just cut it off. I wasn't sure if that was the part everyone was talking about or not, so I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks,
~ John

LDodge
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Aspencade (sold)
1995 1500 SE

Postby LDodge » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:16 pm

Hi John --
I too live in Wisconsin (SW side by La Crosse) and I too had to have the poor boy conversion done. I had a mechanic in Viroqua, Wis do it for just about $500 (using a used alternator). I absolutely love it:) I have the instructions at my house, drop me a line at ldodge429@outlook.com if you still need them.
Lawrence
Meditation doesn't mean you are sitting still. Enjoy the open road and let the good LORD speak to you (even at 65+mph) ;)

Quarteg

Postby Quarteg » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks Ldodge. I think I have everything. The only question I see at this point is, Where I am adding the pulley to the timing belt pulleys, do I have to pretend that I am changing the belts to add the pulley?

In other words, do I need to make sure the timing line is lined up, mark the gears so I know where they belong if they should shift, etc.

Also, is there any special things I should be more aware of while adding the pulley?

Thanks,
~ John

NavMode
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 SEI w/sidecar

Postby NavMode » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:25 pm

My mechanic just finished the Poorboy conversion for my 86 gl1200 SEI. I purchased the full kit from Don Pigott and my mechanic said it was very well machined and easy to install with the provided instructions. I agree with everyone that has said "It was the best decision and No regrets. My SEI had never seen 13.8 volts or above in the 2yrs I have owned it. Even the horn and the radio work better. Hey it's a "NO Brainer for people like me that have two left hands when it comes to spinning a wrench. The cost of the full kit is fair because it has everything already machined to the exact specs and the alternator has all the grinding and prefab already done for you, all with a single wire connection. For me I didn't even mind the labor cost my mechanic charged because he had all the tools and nice garage.

If you're thinking of pulling the trigger don't wait, you won't regret it.
Last edited by NavMode on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowell, Donna, & Izan

"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"President John F. Kennedy

Quarteg

Postby Quarteg » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:53 pm

Good to note. Also I made a video of the conversion and you can find it here:

Check it out some time and pass it on. :D

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”