Oil drip from machined hole in engine bottom

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
JimKrieger
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Oil drip from machined hole in engine bottom

Postby JimKrieger » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:32 pm

Drip slowly accumulates from hole then drips onto ground. Is this normal? Why would it do this? 1987. What is the purpose of such a hole?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Oil drip from machined hole in engine bottom

Postby dingdong » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:08 pm

Is this the hole under the water pump? If so you have bad pump seals.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

JimKrieger

Postby JimKrieger » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:06 pm

Thanks so much DingDong. You were right on. The weep hole was under the water pump and I mistook the slippery coolant for crankcase oil. Here is a great link for replacing the pump viewtopic.php?f=11&t=275 I am fully capable of doing this, but at 68, I'm going to pass and sell the bike instead. If you know someone...

It's a great machine: 110,000 miles, new front air forks and rear air shocks, no oil burn, new timing belts, high-end Aspencade model, larger than original windshield, new tires, add-on foldaway highway foot pegs, re-built 4 barrel carburetor, rebuilt starter motor, good upholstery, great radio, re-built starter handlebar button, new brake pads all around, some extra chrome, extra brake light LED bar on trunk top, accelerates as fast as most except for the crotch rockets, of course, two firefighter medallions which are permitted for continued display, the last of the Goldwing Classic 4 cylinder boxers and the top model. This bike is historic and may become a motorcycle heirloom. The history of this bike includes display in a bankrupt museum in St. Louis, ownership by a Twin Cities airport fire fighter and now by the founder of a project to remember those lost in Iraq or Afghanistan who also rode this bike, as a Patriot Guard Rider, in over 75 funeral parades for Minnesotan service members lost in action.

The deficiencies: Of course, the need for a new water pump, uncertainty if the two-way citizen band radio, or the driver passenger intercom works as I don't have, or will ever, desire helmets so equipped, one truck lock drilled out and one pannier lock not working

This is a museum investment which I will post to Goldwing fans and sell off in the next two years.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:22 pm

I have two questions:
1. If you are capable of doing the work, why not do it? Age should be no barrier, as you probably have the time to undertake it, even slowly.

2. If you were to sell it, what is the asking price?

Whatever, I trust you do not loose the enjoyment of motorcycling. I am older than you, but still look forward to the good days, when the weather is good, the bike is fueled, and the urge is there (to ride). :roll:
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

rudolphwolven
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 K1

Postby rudolphwolven » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:51 pm

I fully agree with redial's postl............once you will miss it........enjoy this special bike........
I am 71 years old and started 2 months ago wit a complete restoration of a still beautifull GL1000 K1 (10.600 miles) from 1975 (31 years untouched stored in my garage) ........it was necessary to inspect everything after 31 years of inactivity.........this is the first time in my life; the realisation of a dream I had in 1983.........

Some pictures:

Proud winner of the NGWClub-USA contest Bike of the Year 2016--Image

DD1957
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200 A, Yamaha Roadliner

Postby DD1957 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:43 am

I had the same problem with my GL1200 and I put JB Weld in the hole. Problem fixed, no more leaks :D .

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:35 am

DD1957 wrote:I had the same problem with my GL1200 and I put JB Weld in the hole. Problem fixed, no more leaks :D .

Seriously? That's just about the worst thing you could do. That hole is there for a reason, to give leaking fluids a place to escape, instead of forcing their way somewhere they shouldn't be. The seals in the water pump separate the coolant from the oil. When one seal fails, the fluid leaks out this "telltale hole" and you know that you need to service/replace your water pump. If you plug this hole, it instead forces its way past the other seal, and now you have coolant in your oil, or oil in your coolant - or both. Either are bad news for your engine.

You need to drill out your "fix" and then replace your water pump.

JimKrieger

Postby JimKrieger » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:41 pm

Hey, what a great forum. I have two options beyond doing the work myself, something I no longer want to do. I can trailer the thing to Springfield, MO to a reputable dealer, or ask a friend do the work, a guy who sub-contracts for Jesse James, who ruined Sandra Bullock's great reputation. I like that this forum made me understand the problem. Thanks to all who helped me. I am very appreciative.posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&t=23505#

Two fingers down,
Jim Krieger

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:02 am

Wow... with just a little push , this part of the forum might morph into an " Old-guys-who-still-do-their-own-Wing-repairs "
( I am almost 71)... congrats to Rudolph ... and to Re-dial ...LOL

A water pump replacement is not really hard , but does take several hours ( 8 ? ) , and is a great winter project ..
Its also a great time to check all the other parts on an old Wing that need looking at : rad, antifreeze , wires to fan switch , etc.

see here :

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=275

The hard part is getting all the o-rings to stay , and getting both sides of the gasket surfaces clean ..

Whether you decide to do it yourself, or have it done ... You will miss riding if you choose to sell it .
I hope you replace it with something and keep riding ...

LOL : Riding a Classic Wing KEEPS you young ...

SilverDave

rudolphwolven
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 K1

Postby rudolphwolven » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi SilverDave,

Thanks for congrats.
Ref: ......Riding a Classic Wing KEEPS you young .........Indeed folks !

Some further steps with my project:

Picture engine without flash:

Picture engine with flash:

Picture in illuminated garage:

Preparation of the next step:

Proud winner of the NGWClub-USA contest Bike of the Year 2016--Image

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”