engine and carb takedown... what to do?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Aspencade

engine and carb takedown... what to do?

Postby ianbernal » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:51 am

Hello, i am in the process of restoring my gl1200 aspencade, so far I´ve rebuilt the rear end, new wheel bearings, new rear shocks, rebuilt the rear and front calipers, master cylinders, frame paint, gas tank paint, new front springs and seals, and mostly redone the electrical wiring going to the rear. Right now i´m planning on taking down the carbs and the engine, and do a thorough check on them and rebuild the carbs and detail work, so i´m wondering what things should i check while at it and what kind of jobs should i get done? Also while at it i´ll be doing rust removal and prevention and paint on the frame. Any and all comments are greatly appreciated, please keep in mind that this bike has been in mexico for at least 10 years and i doubt it has gotten the right spare parts for service. thank you.

Motorcycle: 82 aspencade

Re: engine and carb takedown... what to do?

Postby 82aspen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:38 pm

what's the story on the engine? any major known problems that need attention?

if it spins free and has half decent compression, i'd get her running first then go from there,

iow, i'd find out everything i can about the engine before going pull and strip,

i would strip the carbs before spending any money on expensive parts, they may be beyond repair,

before i spend any major money on original carbs, i'd go with a single carb conversion first

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”