GL1200 Ingnition Switch troubles

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
goodoni
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200I Interstate

GL1200 Ingnition Switch troubles

Postby goodoni » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:47 am

Has anyone re-wired an ignition and by-passed the key.
My ignition switch has failed, it is the "recalled switch" and Mother Honda is trying to help me out but the Dealer will have a very hard time finding the OEM part.
There are some aftermarket switches that have some really bad reviews and there not cheap and I really don't want to do the used E-bay thing.
I really do not need a key, It seems like I should be able to wire a couple of toggle switches that I could turn on and hit the start button.
I'm more mechanically inclined than electrical inclined, I just need a simple wire diagram of how to wire the switches.

As always, any advise is appreciated.

Ride Safe,
Goodoni

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: GL1200 Ingnition Switch troubles

Postby trike lady » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:49 am

A salvage yard could produce a switch and with the number on the bottom a key made, if no key is with the switch.
Try here: http://www.straightwings.com/

Here you go: http://www.straightwings.com/store/86-8 ... L1200.html
Checked the part number and it is the same.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

goodoni
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby goodoni » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:24 am

trike lady wrote:A salvage yard could produce a switch and with the number on the bottom a key made, if no key is with the switch.
Try here: http://www.straightwings.com/

Here you go: http://www.straightwings.com/store/86-8 ... L1200.html
Checked the part number and it is the same.

Trike Lady,

Thank you very much!!!
Right now Honda says there going to fix it, I'm taking it to the Dealer tonight, Well see how that go's.
If it does not work out, I'll definitely use this site to order the part.

Thanks again,
Goodoni

1981wing
Motorcycle: 1981 GL 1100 Like a Moron I sold it!
1985 GL1200i Current Ride

Postby 1981wing » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:51 pm

You did not mention much what your symptoms are so I will do the best I can. To answer your question (yes) you can bypasss the ignition switch. All the ignition switch does is connect the red wire going into switch to the black coming out. If you make a jumper wire with a toggle you should be bypassed.

Just a note: My 85 quit on me and would not crank. Ended up being a broken wire inside the fuse box. Third fuse back from where the 2 feed wires come into the fuse box. Symptoms: quit dead and would not turn over. Headlight came on with ignition switch turned to on.

To my knowledge here is how the starting system works. You have the big red + battery cable connected to the starter relay. The relay then has 4 little wires junction on it. Inside the relay wire #1 of the 4 little wires is connected to the big red Postive cable then it goes to the switch as a red wire and with ign switch on connects red to the black wire which the goes to push start button and killswitch which then goes back to relay as say wire #2 of the 4 wire junction and then is wrapped in a coil inside the relay (to trip relay for starter circuit) and then back out of the 4 wire junction say as wire #3 looking for ground to either nuetral switch using motor for ground or if in gear will use the clutch handle switch if sqeezed in to complete a ground. So when you look at the 4 little wires on the relay 3 of them are actually the same wire when ignition is on and start button pushed in. The 4th little wire on the relay goes to the regulator. Note: The black wire splits after the ignition switch with 1 wire going as i said back to the relay then back out of relay looking for a ground and the other going to the kill switch where if it gets a ground kills it. Kill switch in the normal run mode is wire going to the switch not connected to anything. If you hit the kill switch it connects the wire to ground killing spark at the coils. Hope this helps.

Motor needs 3 things in this order to run and a 4 thing to run right
1. Compresson 2. Spark 3. Gas / I guarntee it will run
4. Timing 3 types: (Valve timing) and (Ignition timing) and (Fuel timing sync)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”