Kuryakyn Grips

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
djolesiak
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi

Kuryakyn Grips

Postby djolesiak » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:14 pm

I bought a set of Kuryakyn ISO rubber grips to replace my worn out leather grips. I used the enclosed black widow adhesive to install them. Clutch side went on fine but the throttle side bunched up while sliding it on due to the glue setting so fast. I lived with the bunched up rubber for a couple of months until I hit a pothole on the freeway causing the clutch side to twist off. Since I had to re glue the clutch side back on I figured I would try removing the throttle side as well to get rid of the bunched up rubber.

Removing the throttle side proved to be impossible and I broke my throttle tube in the process. The adhesive sticks way better to the plastic throttle tube than it does to the metal handlebar. So I called my local motorcycle shop to get a replacement throttle tube and they said they're out of stock and they are no longer available from Honda. I tried looking online and saw a few used ones on ebay. I'd like to get a new one if possible. Anyone know of any aftermarket throttle tubes that will work on my 86 SEI? Or perhaps some one with old Honda oem parts?

My next question is about the grips. Does Kuryakyn offer replacement rubber pads or sell the grips individually? I did manage to completely remove the throttle tube from the grip in several pieces but I'm concerned about re using it. Any suggestions?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Kuryakyn Grips

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:27 pm

djolesiak wrote:I bought a set of Kuryakyn ISO rubber grips to replace my worn out leather grips. I used the enclosed black widow adhesive to install them. Clutch side went on fine but the throttle side bunched up while sliding it on due to the glue setting so fast. I lived with the bunched up rubber for a couple of months until I hit a pothole on the freeway causing the clutch side to twist off. Since I had to re glue the clutch side back on I figured I would try removing the throttle side as well to get rid of the bunched up rubber.

Removing the throttle side proved to be impossible and I broke my throttle tube in the process. The adhesive sticks way better to the plastic throttle tube than it does to the metal handlebar. So I called my local motorcycle shop to get a replacement throttle tube and they said they're out of stock and they are no longer available from Honda. I tried looking online and saw a few used ones on ebay. I'd like to get a new one if possible. Anyone know of any aftermarket throttle tubes that will work on my 86 SEI? Or perhaps some one with old Honda oem parts?

My next question is about the grips. Does Kuryakyn offer replacement rubber pads or sell the grips individually? I did manage to completely remove the throttle tube from the grip in several pieces but I'm concerned about re using it. Any suggestions?

You may be able to find one from an aftermarket supplier that will work. I had a similar problem with my wife's 89 PC800 Pacific Coast, which had been "modified" by a previous owner. When I pulled the old handgrips off to install heated grips, I found the tube was unusable. OEM replacements were not available. I did a bit of searching online, and found a replacement aftermarket item that fit perfectly.

djolesiak

Postby djolesiak » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:33 am

Finally got the Kuryakyn grips installed on my bike and they look and feel great. If anyone else is planning on installing these grips on their ride do yourself a favor and do not use the black widow glue that comes with the grips. I speak from experience. On the throttle side you won't be able to get the grip on fast enough without the rubber bunching up. Ask me how I know? I wound up having to replace my throttle tube because of it. And on the clutch side, it will not hold. Mine spun off within a couple of weeks. The other problem was removing the black widow glue from the grips. I wound up boiling them and I still wasn't able to get it all off.

After learning not to use the enclosed glue the hard way, I decided to use Original Gorilla Glue which worked perfectly. It gives you plenty of time to get the grips on and positioned how you want them before it starts setting up. And once it dries, they're on there. The only thing to watch out for is it does expand so don't use too much. On my throttle side, it expanded and got in between the throttle tube and handle bar and caused my throttle to stick. So after it dried, I had to remove the throttle tube and scrape off the excess. I also put a little grease in there and now the throttle is smooth and the grips have been on the bike for 6 months with no problems.

If you're going to use Gorilla Glue, I would recommend removing the throttle tube and the end cap of the grip and gluing the grip on the throttle tube off the bike so you can clean off any excess glue inside the throttle tube because a sticky throttle is very dangerous.

I'm sure there are other glues out there that will work fine as well, but Gorilla Glue worked for me.

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:47 pm

I was lucky mine went on without issue. The throttle side went on perfect the first time. If it hadn't I would have been screwed because the glue set so fast there would be no adjusting it. I know several people ended up buying a second set because they had the same issue as you had. Did you end up buying a new set or reusing what you had? I wasn't sure I was going to like them at first because they felt different, but now that I have been using them I think they are the best grips I ever used.

djolesiak

Postby djolesiak » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:26 pm

I reused them. I destroyed the throttle tube separating it from the grip. I put the grips in boiling water and used acetone to remove most of the black widow glue. There was some residual but it didn't seem to matter. For some reason Kuryakyn doesn't seem to make replacement rubbers for the Goldwing grips. I found a genuine Honda replacement throttle tube on Ebay, brand new for $12.00. I really like the ISO grips. Especially after replacing my fork seals and oil. They do a great job of absorbing vibration.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”