1984 Aspy 21k just bought, sounds like hissing...

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Madman KJ Rob
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a Aspencade

1984 Aspy 21k just bought, sounds like hissing...

Postby Madman KJ Rob » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:47 pm

Hello GoldwingDocs peeps.
I have always wanted a Goldwing and finally got one and what I believed is a nice one at that. Dark Red, lil scratches here and there, 21k and no broken plastic. I have had said machine for about three weeks now, and I have done the stator straight-wire mod, although the plastic connecting block was mint. I chose not to take the chance that it could get melted sooner or later. The one thing that really bothers the crap out of me is the fact that I have what sounds like a vacuum leak coming from the left side of the engine, somewhere in the vicinity of the left rear carb. I can't for the life of me find it. The bike idle varies between 720 and 960 and sounds like a "hiss hiss hiss " noise in the area I mentioned. The Hiss noise is in time with the rpm...faster sounding the higher the rpm's go, and lower the slower.
Acceleration is lagging until higher rpm before the shift. I was told the carbs were sync'ed, in matter of fact I removed the left-side lower fairing, and the chrome-looking shaped plate thing that attaches to the carb on that side. I saw the carbs were marked with a fine-tipped marker with, probably designating some order of some kind. I could not get to the area that the noise was coming from, but it was more pronounced. Ah, but what else I found really bugged me. It was a brass-looking screw with a sharp tip at one end, and a spring surrounding it. It looks like a small adjustment screw.
This noise just comes from the left side, the opposite side is quiet.
I really think this engine sounds strong, and when it pulls it does nicely, It just doesn't do it as smooth as I think it should. And the hiss hiss.....ugh......My Silverwing actually pulled smoother with no hesitation. Any ideas?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1984 Aspy 21k just bought, sounds like hissing...

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:26 am

Certainly sounds something like a vacuum leak. Have you tried spraying starter fluid in the area to see if the engine revs up?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:35 am

On the left rear carb..intake tube attached to the head..on the back side..there is a vacuum port that should be connected to the ignition module.
Those carb tubes also require a "O" ring to seal them to the head.
One can be leaking.
I use rubber tubing at my ear and the other end to pinpoint the leak.

Madman KJ Rob
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a Aspencade

Postby Madman KJ Rob » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks for the response guys. I have not tried the starting fluid shot yet, but I am willing to bet the intake tube on that carb is at fault because I can get as close as the distant back area of the rear left carb, and it sounds a lil further inward in that area.....I will start to dismantle and investigate. I love this bike. You guys rock. I am a youngling @ 38 and my friends tell me that this is my midlife-crisis bike. They probably don't even know how to enjoy the ride. Learn they will....

BigBro
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200i Interstate

Postby BigBro » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:42 pm

The Brass pointy screw with a spring sounds like an idle air adjustment screw.
They sit at the outboard corner front or back on each carburetor so you could adjust each one.
Either Left front or Right rear carb showing idle air adjust screw.
Either Left front or Right rear carb showing idle air adjust screw.

That picture might help you see where on a carb it is.

Having one of those back all the way out would also cause a hiss-hiss-hiss as you describe and it would track rpm's as well.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”