85 LIMITED running very rich on 2 cylinders

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
eacorbett@yahoo.com
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

85 LIMITED running very rich on 2 cylinders

Postby eacorbett@yahoo.com » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:45 am

I have a 1985 Honda GL 1200 L. This means it is FUEL INJECTED not carb'ed. So please think carefully before responding with help. I do APPRECIATE ALL reply's that may be helpful, just trying to reduce some that will not. With that said, it is running so rich on the two right side cylinders. So rich that the plugs have to be changed within 70 miles of interstate riding and much less for in town riding because they are to fouled out to be able to fire correctly. The other side has no issues what so ever are firing normally and show no signs of running rich nor lean. I have been on a few semi long distance rides with it running this way. I know it is not good for the engine and this is why I need immediate help. I had another semi long distance ride this past weekend which thankfully was cancelled do to weather. However I know it will be rescheduled for the next available Saturday with good weather. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated! If I have left out any information that you may need to help give me a direction to head toward please feel free to ask and I will provide what I can. I will be honest! I do not get on here as much or as often as I should or want. So the best way to contact me is by email. PLEASE POST ALL REPLY'S HERE FIRST, so that if anyone has the same issue they too will know how to resolve the problem. But if possible please email me any information or questions at eacorbett@yahoo.com. Thank you to all who can help with this issue! Take care and stay safe everyone. And remember to always keep the rubber side down!

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 85 LIMITED running very rich on 2 cylinders

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:49 am

I pulled up a copy of the fuel system schematic for your GL1200L model, to see how complicated the fuel system is. Most "injection" systems work a little differently than carb operated engines, in that the throttle generally controls air into the engine, and the fuel system is controlled by some kind of computer that operates from the amount of air being allowed into the engine by the throttle.

Most fuel injected auto engines use a TPS (throttle position sensor) and some kind of Air Flow Sensor (which is generally a wire stretched across the intake tube that generates a voltage that is then sent to the computer, based on differential pressure across the wire). The air flowing across the Air Flow sensor "stretches" the wire, for lack of a better term, and the amount of stretch determines how much fuel the computer meters to each cylinder or in the case of throttle bodies, to the plenum.

Your fuel system has two intake air pressure sending units, one for left side and one for right side. They send information on air flow to the CPU to determine correct fuel delivery the right and left side injectors. There are also sensors to determine crankshaft angle, throttle shaft angle, air temperature and coolant temperature. Since two cylinders appear to be correctly supplied with fuel, and two are operating "rich." I would start looking at the air pressure sensors. Your trouble could be as simple as a vacuum leak at the sensor for the rich side.

I'm trying to send you a copy of the GL1200L manual by way of email. It looks like it went okay.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

eacorbett@yahoo.com

Postby eacorbett@yahoo.com » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:15 am

Awesome information. I did receive the email and I will open it shortly. I hope. Very busy and checking my emails as quickly as possible before I have to leave for work so it may be a little later before I get back to it. However once I have had time to check it over I may or may not have questions. Would it be okay to contact you (reply to) through that email address? I did have to remove the engine to replace the ENTIRE charging system. And yes I do mean the entire system from wiring to the battery. As the clutches are right there next to the stator I threw in some new clutches as well. I had NO issues until after I reinstalled in the engine in the bike. I did NOT notice anything wrong or out of the ordinary when removing or reinstalling the engine but this does not mean I did not miss something or cause an issue during the installation that I did not see or catch. You have given me a direction to look toward which is more than anything I can find or get locally. There is absolutely NO ONE in my area that knows anything about these older Wings. All of the shops around here go back to the 1500's. And that is only because they were made up to the year 2000. Give it a few more years and I am sure they wont be able to work on them either. Thank you so much for the information. Just as soon as I can I am going to tear it down and start looking for as many vaccuum lines as possible and try to find that air pressure sensor you mentioned as well. Take care and stay safe!

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:29 pm

You can correspond through email if you prefer. I hope the manual makes some sense to you. I think the system is a lot easier to understand with the diagram for the fuel system open and in front of you. There is a pretty good troubleshooting guide in the manual as well.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

eacorbett@yahoo.com

Postby eacorbett@yahoo.com » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:15 am

Thank you again! I have yet had a few minutes to check into everything. And it seems I must ride the bike once again. Fortunately it is not far today. I WILL look into it just as soon as I possibly can and I will get back to you to let you know what I do or do not find out. Thank you again!

ezrider354
Motorcycle: Gl1200ltd

Postby ezrider354 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:41 am

Check the exhaust on the rich side for obstructions. Maybe...

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:24 pm

I going from memory here,but...the FI system does use 2 above mentioned vacuum sensors.
The FI uses voltage from these sensors to balance(sync) the fuel injection.
Look close for a missing vacuum line to one of them or it being unplugged.
Either would tell the FI to enrich that bank.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”