weird noise than wobbling like I had a flat tire any ideas

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Redwinger8
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate
Candy Wineberry Red-U

weird noise than wobbling like I had a flat tire any ideas

Postby Redwinger8 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:12 pm

While driving my 1986 GL1200 interstate 30 to 35 MPH down a straight flat bump less rd (hard to find in New England) we heard a weird noise sounded like static on my radio from the close thunderstorm is the best I can come up with (due to the muffling of my helmet covering my ears) so I turned my radio off and we heard it again this time followed by my entire bike shaking and wobbling out of control. :o I had to fight to keep it upright and pull out of traffic I honestly don't know how we didn't lay it down. When I got to the side of the street and stopped my wife asked what was that I said I think we got a flat my wife climbed off we looked every thing was where it was supposed to be no flat and nothing out of the ordinary. I limped it down a side street and checked further couldn't find anything so I drove it the 3 blocks back to my house under 20 no issues. I jacked up the front yanked on the tire doesn't seem to be a wheel barring as best I can tell same with the back looked at what I can see of frame don't see any breaks, held front brake gassed it a few times front seamed tight did some hard stop and goes didn't get anything out of the norm. I'm at a lose but not ready to go down the road just yet. Anyone experience this or have any ideas :?:

702scottc
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1990 GL1500 Aspencade (sold)
2005 GL1800

Re: weird noise than wobbling like I had a flat tire any ide

Postby 702scottc » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:37 pm

You may have a rear wheel bearing failure, only way to really tell is to remove the rear tire. It would be more noticeable riding 2 up. Take a good look at the swingarm bearings as well.

Redwinger8
Candy Wineberry Red-U

Postby Redwinger8 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:20 am

Thanks for the info was thinking that was probably it, so it looks like project of the day. how tough is the Swing arm to get to cant seam to find any thing out there in video for the Gold wing :?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:03 am

Redwinger8 wrote:Thanks for the info was thinking that was probably it, so it looks like project of the day. how tough is the Swing arm to get to cant seam to find any thing out there in video for the Gold wing :?

Have a look at How to replace your rear wheel bearing - it's for the 1100, but the 1200 is very similar.

mrtwowheel
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Postby mrtwowheel » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:06 am

Loose or worn steering head bearings can sometimes feel like the problem is at the back tire. The front stays stable while the back is hinged to the front in the wrong way.

Scott

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:46 pm

Steering head bearings fer sure. Being that you claim to have fought to keep it upright means you were fighting the handlebars for control. When the ass end goes out you ain't doin nothin to control it.

If you can get your front end up of the ground turn the handlebars from side to side slowly and see if you can feel a click when it hits straight frowrd.... That's a detent in the race....which without a doubt gets changed with the steering head bearings. Overall check the feel of the steering movement back and forth.

I don't believe the bearings go bad as much as the race. If you pull it you will see the detent. How this happens in a tapered roller bearing is beyond my knowledge. If you don't feel any click. Torque your steering head bearings and ride. If all is well you may be ready for some new parts up front, a good clean and service on a heavy bike.

I gotta go with Mrtwowheel on this prediction....
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Redwinger8
Candy Wineberry Red-U

Postby Redwinger8 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:05 pm

ugh over nighted the wheel bearings oh well no harm no foul sure it would have needed those sooner than later. okay no clicking nice and smooth and as before couldn't feel any slop but i guess I will try to get in there and tighten them and plan to replace them over the winter thanks again guys .. so frustrating all I want to do is ride atleast once befor the season is over :(

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:19 pm

The clicking is just a thing that sometimes tells you a race problem is the issue because big heavy bikes travel alot of straight freeway riding and not alot of turning.

What wheel bearings did you overnight?
BTW, where did you feel this out of control feeling when you were riding???????

The clicking noise is SO subtle. Here's what you do, when you pull the front end off, look for a shiny spot in the back of the upper race, that's where it clicks.

Once again, check the torque on the steering then ride it. (ALONE) Or do what I do, tighten it to where it feels right. when you're slowing down hold the grips ever so lightly and see if you get wobble......in fact, do that now before trying to FIX anything....find the problem before fixing it.

Go for a ride.......

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:44 pm

Here's a video I made about diagnosing worn steering head bearings:

Redwinger8
Candy Wineberry Red-U

Postby Redwinger8 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:31 pm

what do you suppose the winding noise was i heard if it was the steering head :?

Redwinger8
Candy Wineberry Red-U

Postby Redwinger8 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:35 pm

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:24 am

Based on your description of how the bike handled, I was all set to say you have a failed front wheel bearing. If it were me, I'd pull the wheel and have a good close look at those bearings. Since you paid to get them overnight, you may as well replace them. You could have any number of quirky things going on. The axle may be damaged, the bearings may be ready to fail completely, the clamp bolts may be loose. What ever the cause of the problem, taking the wheel off may reveal the trouble as you are working toward the wheel removal.

While I hate to disagree with what someone else suggested, I find it hard to wrap my brain around a steering head bearing "failure" that gave no warning. It rotates slightly, and it is almost always "loaded" to its maximum loading, so there doesn't seem to be much chance of a catastrophic failure there. Whereas the wheel bearings are under similar loading weight-wise, but are subjected to a lot more weather related exposure and rotational speeds where degraded lubrication can lead to a more dramatic failure than I can muster in my mind for a steering head bearing.

I am not saying the steering head bearing isn't bad. I'm just saying that you should have experienced some indicator (like terrible low speed wobble in the bars) before the bearing failed if it has.

Another thing to consider is a warped brake rotor or a stuck caliper on the front end.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:16 pm

You mentioned a whining noise in the bearing and what could it be. The onle reference you made prior to this was in your original post."we heard a weird noise sounded like static on my radio from the close thunderstorm". That's a tad bit confusing.

Do you hold on to your handlebars when slowing and stopping? I always do, one time I was coast far from a light and left go of the handlebars and I thought satan had grabbed them and was taking me down. I just lucked out and grabbed for the grips and caught them.WHAT THE???????? The steering head bearings were loose for mechanical reasons I will admit to being the cause of 3 weeks prior......THREE WEEKS and I never felt a jiggle. Torqued them and 'locked' them and was ready to go.

I would put money on the steering head bearings over any of all that other complicated stuff.

I remember the story about a guy breaking down on the road and telling the mechanic his motor blew. The mechanic put in a brand new motor and then said he put free gas in the tank too....... Over looked the obvious....

Redwinger8
Candy Wineberry Red-U

Postby Redwinger8 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:56 pm

I'm not sure where the noise came from. there was a thunder storm closing in we could hear the thunder as we drove so when I herd the noise I assumed it was lightning over my crappy radio so I shut it off than we heard it again that's when I realized I had an issue and several seconds later the wobble started and the WHAT THE???????? moment.

I have the front tire off there is no noise retention or any play in the front end quiet as a church mouse and as smooth as a baby's back side with the movement from turning

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:06 pm

Hey, everyone goes through this self diagnosis. I think you were given the best places to look and find your problem. Look and learn from everything you touch....it may help you down the road......no time is ever wasted when you get to diagnose several issues and discard them as the problem.....if you don't like to do that, buy a new bike and let a dealer figure it out. You don't sound like that kind of guy, so go look at everything everyone said here..... You may need this in the middle of the night on the road. (new bike or not)...as time goes on......your tool box gets bigger and bigger.......your knowledge grows with it. congrats on owning an older classic......

Redwinger8
Candy Wineberry Red-U

Postby Redwinger8 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:45 am

okay update, I was able to find the time to replace the front bearings (life got in the way so much for the over night lol) and there appear to be no defects with the front so on to the back crossing my fingers to find a bad bearing, that's so wrong lol :?

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Did you test ride it after replacing the bearings? Just curious.

I had a front wheel bearing failure once and the initial sound it made was the same as when you run over a small rock with the front wheel. It was kind of a popping noise. It happened the one time. Thinking I had done exactly what it sounded like I had, you know... run directly over a small rock, I paid it little attention. The next day, on my way to work, I heard the same sdound again, except for it was continuous while I rode. I pulled over in a safe spot, got off and tried to figure out what the heck was going on. I still couldn't "see" anything wrong. I got back on, and rode the remaining mile or so to work without incident. It got to bothering me so much, I went out at about 10 am to see if I could figure out what was going on. I held the bars firmly, and pushed and pulled on the front wheel, sideways. It was then that I figured out what was going on with the wheel bearing.

To make a long story shorter, I've decided to keep a set of front and rear "all ball" bearings on hand all the time. When I change a tire, I can always look at the condition of the bearings, and if there's any question as to what kind of shape they're in, the set gets changed along with seals. I think I paid 17$ for a front and 16$ for the rear, or something like that... cheap insurance to change them at the first sign of truoble.

That's not to say your trouble has anything to do with a wheel bearing or neglect of any kind. I do hope you figure out where the trouble is located so we all can learn from your experience. I also want to add that I never take any pleasure out of someone else having a difficulty with their motorcycle. I do like a puzzle, but not at the expense of the frustration of a fellow rider.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Redwinger8
Candy Wineberry Red-U

Postby Redwinger8 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:32 pm

well I'm about ready to give in and bring it to the shop. the Motorcycle Gods just don't seam to want me riding. I went to take it for a test drive and I pulled in my clutch and it felt like there was nothing there WTH.... all my other bikes had cable clutch I'm at a loss here... I only have till next Thursday as i'm going in for surgery so ill be off the Bike for 6 months not many options here sucks paying someone for what you can do :cry:

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:47 pm

The hydraulic clutch works just like your brake master cylinder. Instead of hydraulic (brake) fluid pushing the pistons out on the caliper to squeeze the brake pads against the brake disc rotor, the fluid in the clutch master cylinder extends the slave cylinder on the rear of the engine to disengage the clutch discs in the basket.

I'd remove the reservoir cap and check the fluid level (first). If low, fill with DOT 4 brake fluid, and pump the lever a few times. The clutch may come right back. If it doesn't, you bleed the line at the slave cylinder in much the same way you bleed brakes.

If it worked a few days ago, you probably have a leaking seal in the slave cylinder. It isn't hard to rebuild and the parts aren't too expensive. I think there's a guy on Ebay that sells a kit for both the master cylinder and the slave cylinder for 25-30$ each kit.

Redwinger8
Candy Wineberry Red-U

Postby Redwinger8 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:00 pm

okay I replaced the dark orange with silvery black muck at the bottom Fluid with new DOT4 just cant seam to find the dam nipple to bleed it HUMMMM any clues? I crawled under poked my head into the back side of the motor its hiding pretty dam good lol :shock:

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:33 pm

See if this helps : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21380&p=117755&hilit=clutch+bleed#p117755
Or this http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwingclutchbleeding.htm

Redwinger8 wrote:okay I replaced the dark orange with silvery black muck at the bottom Fluid with new DOT4 just cant seam to find the dam nipple to bleed it HUMMMM any clues? I crawled under poked my head into the back side of the motor its hiding pretty dam good lol :shock:
Last edited by HawkeyeGL1200 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redwinger8
Candy Wineberry Red-U

Postby Redwinger8 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:33 pm

found it thank God my wife has small hands lol I now have a clutch again :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Was the clutch fluid low, or was it just contaminated? The clutch is a closed system, so if it was so low that it was not working anymore, then you have a problem: it has to have gone somewhere. And usually where it goes is into the engine. Clutch fluid in your engine oil can damage the engine to the point where it will be destroyed. If you are losing clutch fluid, and you don't see a visible leak, you likely have to rebuild the clutch slave cylinder.

Redwinger8
Candy Wineberry Red-U

Postby Redwinger8 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:29 pm

it was full but really nasty was orange almost brown and had mucky silvery color mud at the bottom of the reservoir. I will probably rebuild it in the spring just cause :roll: its all clean and working good now :D

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”