She won't start anymore

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Phippalisious
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

She won't start anymore

Postby Phippalisious » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:42 am

A couple of months ago I was driving down I-95 and decided to get off and go cool off at a gas station. But when I pulled off on the exit my GL1200A just shut off on me. I had power but the engine shut off on me. I would not start for about 45 min. After it started I drove to the gas station and figured how I could get her home, about 35 miles, without having to pay an arm and a leg. Well I got it started then she went for about another 23 miles until I got off at the exit by the house. Where she did it again to me and I was stuck there for another 30 min, she made it home after that and wont start up again. Yes I have gas. Yes, I charged the battery. No, it was not because she just wanted to keep going down the interstate. Please help I am having withdrawls.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: She won't start anymore

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:11 am

When you say the bike won't run, it is important to know what you have tried to do in order to get the bike to run.

When you press on the starter button, does the engine turn over? Have you pulled the plugs to have a look at the color of the electrodes so you can tell us if they look lean, normal or rich? If you have, do all plugs have the same color to them? Have you changed your fuel filter, checked your fuel pump to ensure it is working, and verified the tank vent cap is working?

Is there spark at the plugs?

If the starter does turn the engine over, does it sound differently than when it is having one of the episodes than it normally does? Does it turn the engine faster than normal or slower or is there no difference?

An engine starved for fuel (plugged filter or weak pump) will turn over faster than one with fuel/air mixture at the appropriate levels entering the cylinders. I would start with checking the simple and easy to fix stuff first, like fuel filter change (if it has been a while) then I'd pull the fuel hose off the outlet side of the fuel pump and direct it to a container to see if the pump is working properly when you turn the key on. A weak pump can give problems similar to how you describe your trouble. You may also want to check the wires to the fuel pump to make sure they're tight and not giving intermittent fuel to the engine.

While you have the plugs out, check the boot resistors (inside the plug boots) to make sure the screws that hold them in place are tight. Loose contact in the resistors can add to your trouble. It could be a faulty kill switch or a loose wire at the coil(s)... any poor electrical connection between the battery and ignition (including grounds). I'd also check main fuse, and fuse holder above air intake.. while you have the fuse holder in your hand, you can check you air cleaner to make sure it isn't obstructed in some way. Another member discovered he has put a pair of gloves close enough to the intake tubes to block air flow.

Do a little checking and get back to us.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:00 am

Yup..everything he said....
Carry a spare spark plug in your pocket and run it again...when it quits,pull a plug wire and put on the spare plug.Lay it on the block and crank it.
Its a quick tell if you lost spark or fuel.
If there's spark,loosen the gas cap and go again.
If there's no spark,wiggle the kill switch a few times and check again.If there's still no spark,expect a intermittent connection at the pulse coil connector( by the battery) or a thermal pulse coil.

Phippalisious
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby Phippalisious » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:50 pm

Alrighty, I took off all of the spark plugs and the all seemed fine. Just a little black but nothing bad. There is a small spark when I tested it out. I'm going to change the fuel filter, not sure when the last change was, and test the pump as you say.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Please report back what you find. Your comment "small spark" may mean your ignition system is failing and not fuel system. It never hurts to change a fuel filter. I'd definitely check what Virgilmobile recommended. Electrical connectors, grounds, are all possible culprits.

I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”