Im not as smart as I think i am

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
CrazyLeggz
Motorcycle: 1984 1200 Aspencade

Im not as smart as I think i am

Postby CrazyLeggz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:13 pm

When i turn my ignition key on No power.The accessory side is working the radio and the cb light up but no main power, so ive traced power to the last connection to the key switch and tried a different key switch. Tried it when it was cold it fired up but when it gets warm , nothing.Ive tried different solenoids same results, once I moved the red wire and the lights came on but that hasent worked lately . when it does run I have a strong odor of unburnt gas. Also tail lights have burnt up two tailight sensor units. I took it out and ran a ten amp fuse thru the two brown wires, the thought being let it blow the smaller amp fuse before it gets to the main fuse. works for a little while then the fuse blows. I know thats a lot of stuff but its driving me crazy and I will ride year round and right now its my onle ride. Desperate. :|

CrazyLeggz

Re: Im not as smart as I think i am

Postby CrazyLeggz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:25 pm

Just read total electrical shutdown and have found some new information, seems we have the same problem with ignition power.Ill try those test and report the results . :)

CrazyLeggz

Postby CrazyLeggz » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:16 pm

I found that when I turn the key to on, something in my fairing clicks like an electrical switch and my accessory circuit works , my starter will turn over but no headlights dash lights or tailights . Short , bad connecters ? the starter spins so thats what is throwing me

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:35 am

I'll try to help here.
Do you have a simple test light.?
At the fuse block,with the key on,what fuses do have power on both sides.?
You mentioned a red wire.Where is this wire. ?

CrazyLeggz

Postby CrazyLeggz » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:12 pm

I have a multimeter . I cleaned all the fuse blades and now have consistent lights but I get spark when it wants. It runs great when it runs, it will run for a while then lose all power and stop running. took it for a test ride and it quit running while it was cruising along spark just quit. got it to restart three times but third time was it. got towed home , tried it in the yard and it fired for a second, since then nothing.

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby rzaugg » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:16 pm

You said you tried different solenoids, are we to assume starter solenoids? If not check or even jumper the dogbone fuse.
If you're getting "nothing" now, do you mean that you are back to accessory power only or that everything powers up and cranks yet you have no spark so it won't run? Did you install the new or different ignition switch or are you running with the original? And I would also like more info on the "red" wire that you referred to.

CrazyLeggz

Postby CrazyLeggz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:18 pm

OK here we go. Sorry Virgil my mind was gone . Yes I do have a test light and I tried every connection around the ign module found power to the coils and nothing from the pulse generator side . Checked with the manual and cleaned dirty pins in conector.Tested for ohm resistance and found it in the 200 range. nowhere near the 2000 the book states. Put all the connectors back together and started bike with spare and upgraded ignition switch, Shut it off and pluged in orig ign switch. fired right up and run for a few mins. Died with everything lit up beautifully. I unpluged the pulse gen connector and checked for ohms ,0 ohms. As they cooled off they started regestering ohms and slowly the numbers started rising when I left in frusteration #'s were around 147.6 and climbing.Im gonna have to install new ones,no doubt. I have the ability to lift bike up off the ground but I just drug a new project under the lift and now I must drag it away to get my baby back in place,plus I just had all the bags and chrome and brackets off and out of the way yesterday. wish i had checked the pulsers then. Wow I must really love this bike. well off to search for parts. Plus just changed front seal put indian gesket sealer on it and its leakin. should have known better. Honda dont like no goo on her gaskets. I will report the results till its running right.Can these pulse generators be replased withoutout buying the metal case. can they be removed from the case and others be screwed in
Last edited by CrazyLeggz on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyLeggz

Postby CrazyLeggz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:23 pm

P S cleaned all fuse blades and picked up a volt of electricity thru them. Red wire was from solenoid to voltage regulator. That stuff is fine now.

CrazyLeggz

Postby CrazyLeggz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Rzauug didnt mean to leave your questions unanswered . Im very versed on those items you mentioned. Yep I got the 30 amp blade fuse installed even have s spare 10$ solenoid from E Bay , junk really but one did save my butter one pretty day, in Harrisburg PA

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”