1987 wiring schematic

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
twistedgrip
Motorcycle: 1987 gl1200a

1987 wiring schematic

Postby twistedgrip » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Hello all.
I need a readable wiring schematic for a 1987 gl1200. I have a problem with the fan wiring and the temp switches. There are two switches at the thermostat housing. I assume one turns the HOT light on and the other turns the fan on and off. Which is which and a wiring schematic would be wonderful, the one on here is totally useless since it can't be read.
Thanks
Twistedgrip :?:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1987 wiring schematic

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:44 pm

twistedgrip wrote:Hello all.
I need a readable wiring schematic for a 1987 gl1200. I have a problem with the fan wiring and the temp switches. There are two switches at the thermostat housing. I assume one turns the HOT light on and the other turns the fan on and off. Which is which and a wiring schematic would be wonderful, the one on here is totally useless since it can't be read.
Thanks
Twistedgrip :?:

There are two temperature sensors. One is a variable resistor, the other is a switch.

The switch has two wires coming out of it, one black and one black with a blue stripe. The bike runs +12 volts through the black/blue wire. When the bike gets hot enough, it closes, providing +12 volts to the black wire, which goes to the fan, and from there to ground.

The temperature sensor is used for the gauge. It has a single wire, which is green, and it connects this wire to ground through its internal thermistor.

twistedgrip
Motorcycle: 1987 gl1200a

Postby twistedgrip » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Thank you for the information, this will help. The wire sleeve that contains these wires has 7 wires, their colors are difficult to determine but they appear to be as follows:

Blue/Red -fabric insulation (this one is going to what appears to be the neutral switch)
Green -fabric insulation (goes ???)
Green/Blue -fabric insulation (goes ???)
Black -plastic insulation (goes ???)
Black/Blue -plastic insulation (12V+) (assume this one goes to fan connector blue and black wire side)
Black -plastic insulation (goes into two terminal connector going to fan switch)
Green -plastic insulation (goes into two terminal connector going to fan switch)

If I can get these figured out I will call it good.

P.S. I also installed one of the external alternators that I read about on here, Duplitech. Their instructions are rather "vague" as well. They don't even mention what to do about the old wiring coming/going to/from the regulator or anything.

Thanks
Twistedgrip

86pearlblue
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a

Postby 86pearlblue » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:15 pm

I can send the Clymers diagram. Have to PM me.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”