Plexeglass windshield ???

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
nlovern
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Plexeglass windshield ???

Postby nlovern » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:07 am

Hi,
Nathan Lovern here.I was wondering if it is ok to make a taller n wider windshield for my 86? The one thats on it seems short. If i slouch the top of windshield is at eyelevel. Sitting up im 3 inches over the top. Its not original. I took cover off to raise it up and there was no slots/ it was cut out with a saw looks like there is still plastic saw chips stuck to it.
What thickness would i need and will the slight bending around the fairing be to stressful on it?
Thanks
Nathan Lovern,Va

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Plexeglass windshield ???

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:19 am

https://www.f4customs.com/index.php?rou ... path=59_16
Best shield you could buy and it will most likely be the last one you ever need to buy!!!!!
This shield is made using a hard coat over the polycarbonate used to make the shield. It resists scratches and sheds water rapidly.
Cleaned w/ Windex and paper towel.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Plexeglass windshield ???

Postby RoadRogue » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:53 pm

I have made my own replacement windshield for my 1100, I made it out of Lexan, not Plexiglass. Lexan will not break into long pointed shards like plexi will. I would hate to see anybody speared by a broken windshield in the event of an accident .I made it wider not taller, I always want to look over the top of the windshield not through it. Don't go any wider than the mirrors or you will be looking through 2 layers of windshield when you look in the mirrors.
If you are going to make your own out of Lexan you should need to heat the lexan to 225-250 degrees for an hour to drive out the moisture, then you can heat it to 375 to form it .If you try to heat it to the point of being able to form it without the preheat/drying cycle the Lexan will turn white and foam as the water tries to boil out too fast. try it with a scrap first to see what I mean. Oh ya, don't use the wife's oven for this while she is at home. she will NOT be amused....... for more details read this page. 8-)
http://plasticsmachining.com/magazine/1 ... onate.html
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”