85 LTD PROBLEMS... HELP?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
rosey1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200L Goldwing

85 LTD PROBLEMS... HELP?

Postby rosey1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:38 am

Yes I'm still fighting with the issue of my digital dash not working and if anyone has any experience with this I sure would be thankful for the help. I recently got the supplement and I think I've narrowed it down to an open circuit between the main wire harness or fairing wire harness or poor contact at right fairing coupler, but I've checked all these and they seem alright??? Any ideas? I'm just short of removing the whole front fairing and going one wire at a time. It is a power issue and I was wondering if I could just run a new wire to one of the Bl/Br wires at dash or would this fry unit? I can't seem to trace the wiring through the schematic as it is just like trying to trace wires when they go into a loom? Still seems to be a process of elimination but I've eliminated everything so at time I'm open to any and all suggestions. Good thing I still have my 75 GL to fall back on as weather is starting to clear sporadically, dang Oregon weather anyway.

goldtr6c
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1982 GL1100 STD
1976 GL1000 "800lb Canary"

Re: 85 LTD PROBLEMS... HELP?

Postby goldtr6c » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:18 am

Is it the whole unit not working or just the speedo? My speedo didn't work when I first got it. It turned out to be the wires leading down to the speed sensor on the front axle. Two of the wires had chaffed down to the point if just having one or two strands left. Not enough to carry the signal properly. This was at the point where the wires went through a guide ring on the fender. I cut out about 3" and soldered some new wire. The speedo has worked flawlessly since.

rosey1

Postby rosey1 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:57 am

IT'S THE WHOLE UNIT. I EVEN WENT SO FAR AS TO PURCHASE ANOTHER ONE FROM EBAY AND IT DOESN'T WORK EITHER. ALL THE SIDE LIGHTS FOR HIGH BEAM, ETC. ALL WORK ... IT'S THE DIGITAL DISPLAY THAT ISN'T WORKING. i'M JUST ABOUT READY TO PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER AND GO RIDING WITHOUT THE SPEEDO AND TACH AS THE WEATHER FINALLY CLEARED OFF HERE IN OREGON AND I'M WANTING TO GET IT ON THE ROAD.

goldtr6c
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1982 GL1100 STD
1976 GL1000 "800lb Canary"

Postby goldtr6c » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:55 pm

The more I think about it, the many different funtions on the dash all have individual signals sent them by individual wires. The one thing they do share is the ground system. I would locate the ground circuit on the back and run a small jumper lead directly to it Just double check and make sure you are tapping into the ground circuit.

rosey1

Postby rosey1 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:54 pm

That's kinda what I was thinking too but it also only has one power source which I have traced to no avail... I know where the ground to the frame is so I guess I'll try your idea and see if it pans out... Thx for the info and help by the way... Rosey1

judd328
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade Gl1200

Postby judd328 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:01 pm

throw it back together and ride it to ohio we'll have a few beers listen to some skynyrd and work on it

rosey1

Postby rosey1 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:05 am

Okay folks here it is ... the answer to my stupidity and lack of common sense... I finally found the electrical problem with my 85 LTD... It seems that when you fry the radio in this bike the instrument cluster won't work and I had to find this out after going over several electrical schematics, which took a long time by the way, and hours of head scratchin to figure it out... It all started with the installation of a Poorboy kit that said in the instructions that any switched wire could be used for an exciter for the alternator you'll install. Don't believe it for a second... I haphazardly used a white wire that went into the trip computer as it was 12v and thought everything would be fine. I fired the bike up and checked the voltage at the battery which was about 14.3 at an idle and thought alright I got it without having to pull another motor but then a cloud of smoke puffed out from where the radio was quickly dying from a voltage feedback. I quickly shut the machine off and ripped the stereo from its hole but the damage had been done. Afterward I noticed that the digital display in my dash wasn't working and I thought that the feedback or short had took it out also... you can imagine the words working their way to my lips at this point. Anyway I slowly through time and the administration of money and study bought a new radio, dash and then finally a cruise control computer as it controls all the dashes power. Anyway I didn't put the radio in til today because the cost of doing so was prohibitive but I was finally at my wits end because none of the other parts that I had installed had made a difference. Also the service supplement didn't have a complete idiot proof solution either so at the last moment I decided to install the radio to see if it was on the same circuit as the digital display... I slowly switched ignition to the accessory position and voila the dash was working again. Now all I've got to do is get the new tags and I'm gone. I would like to thank the administrator for all his/her help and others that tried also.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:54 am

Sorry it took all this trouble for you to find this out...but glad that anyone else can now know if they are in the same situation!

bo_peat
Motorcycle: 85 LTD 1200

Postby bo_peat » Mon May 12, 2014 10:09 pm

rosey1 wrote:Okay folks here it is ... the answer to my stupidity and lack of common sense... I finally found the electrical problem with my 85 LTD... It seems that when you fry the radio in this bike the instrument cluster won't work and I had to find this out after going over several electrical schematics, which took a long time by the way, and hours of head scratchin to figure it out... Anyway I slowly through time and the administration of money and study bought a new radio, dash and then finally a cruise control computer as it controls all the dashes power. ...put the radio in ... today ...Also the service supplement didn't have a solution either so ... install the radio to see if it was on the same circuit as the digital display...and voila the dash was working again!

Hi rosey1... I know this is years later, but this is the BEST post I have seen on this problem (no LCD dash functions). I would really like to know if you know/remember if there is a way to BYPASS the radio... my radio works... it seems, but I still have no display. All L/R side lights and backlight work fine. I just picked up this '85 LTD with this problem-- it is my first GW. There has been a lot of previous mucking about with the wiring so I could be in spaghettiville for a while... I already have a harness for the stator wires -I'll install that before it sees the road! Thank you (or anyone else!) for all your experience sharing!

bo_peat
Motorcycle: 85 LTD 1200

Postby bo_peat » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi- thought I would follow up here with my own findings.
I still have not fixed the root cause but I did discover this:
the 5v supply line that goes from the LCD to the oil pressure sensor is the culprit.
If I disconnect that particular wire (I pulled it out of the connector), the entire LCD works great. The odometer is back up and functioning.... speedometer... tach... gas... all of it (except for the oil pressure - that just sits at zero).
This did take a bit of work mostly behind the front skirt where the connectors are under the windshield.
Spaghettiville takes time to work through & I just wanted to get riding!
This winter I hope to get into it again and root out if it is a bad/worn/shorted wire or a bad sensor.
I appreciate all the info on these pages. Very helpful!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”