gl1200 clutch engagement point & clunk

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
jspano01
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500

gl1200 clutch engagement point & clunk

Postby jspano01 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:41 pm

Problem definition:
Clutch engagement occurs with lever very close to the bar maybe ¼”from fully pulled in. All other hydraulic clutch equipped bikes I’ve owned engage much further out. This makes drivability difficult . Can feel and hear a clunk as the clutch enters the friction zone. The clunk feels which sounds like its generated in or around the clutch housing area. The Problem is temperature independent. Does not slip or creep when clutch pulled in and bikes in gear and running again temp independent . One the bike is moving it shifts through all the gear just fine.

Mileage :
48K on the odometer true mileage unknown as I’m the fourth or fifth owner it’s 1986 Interstate so it’ been passed around a bit, the overall condition when I got it ”good” .

Maintenance performed:
Rebuilt the clutch slave cylinder , Clutch master cylinder was not rebuilt , reservoir vent hole checked, it’s clear, bled the system at the reservoir banjo bold and the slaver bleeder did this four times ,there’s no air in the system. Lever feel is solid just a crappy vague low engagement point and clunk. Sea foam run through the engine and oil change to recommended 10W40 . Clutch lever , barrel and pivot point all checked good nothing worn here everything lubricated.

I really don’t want to pull the engine but at this point I’m thinking the clutch hub nut could be loose or the plate lifter bearing is worn. I guess I’ll know better once I tear into it .

Hoping someone out there has walked this path before or had these symptoms. This is my sons bike and he uses it as a daily commuter to college so I don’t want to pull it apart if I don’t have to . Wrenching on a bike as a hobby is a lot fun but wrenching on one under time constraints is nerve wracking

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: gl1200 clutch engagement point & clunk

Postby rzaugg » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:06 pm

As I was reading the beginning of your post, several different things came to mind for possibilities. You covered pretty much all of them with the paragraphs that followed. Assuming that the problem was occurring prior to the slave cylinder rebuild, I agree that it sounds like an internal problem with the clutch (especially the clunk).

jspano01
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500

Postby jspano01 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:16 pm

Thanks rzaugg

I was hoping there might be an easier solution but your confirmation makes the engine removal bit easier to accept.

86pearlblue
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a

Postby 86pearlblue » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:03 pm

Engine removal is not necessary to remove the clutch. It can be done in place. I also have a "clunk" in mine, but not sure it's in the clutch. It only happens from a dead stop. I was leaning toward the final drive.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”