1986 gl1200 aspy sei fuel system light stays on

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
curtis60
Motorcycle: 1986 gl 1200 aspySEI .
1989 gl1500

1986 gl1200 aspy sei fuel system light stays on

Postby curtis60 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:28 pm

fuel system light stays on. you have to move throttle back and forth quickly several times to start when engine is cold to start it. after engine is warm starts easy. has fuel injection

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 1986 gl1200 aspy sei fuel system light stays on

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:32 am

I have a copy of the "Honda GL1200L Limited" supplemental manual in PDF format. If you PM me your email address, I can email it to you.

I have NOT reviewed the troubleshooting portion of the manual for your specific issues. The fuel injection system in the Limited model works a lot like the early automotive attempts at fuel injection. There are throttle bodies places in the intake runners that inject fuel based on feedback taken at various locations in the engine. There are sensors for cam shaft angle, crank shaft angle, intake runner pressure... and I can't recall the rest, but all these provide electrical signals to the ECM (Electronic Control Module, or whatever Honda calls the brain in the system), which in turn determines how much fuel to inject at each throttle body (injector).

In addition to the throttle bodies, the fuel pump is different than the fuel pump used in the carburetor fed engines. Going from memory, the carburetor engine uses a fuel pump capable of discharging (about) 3-5 PSI discharge pressure at about 18 ounces per minute. The fuel injected model output pressure runs significantly higher... something on the order of 75-90 PSI at similar flow rate as the model used on a carb bike.

The reason behind the higher discharge pressure on the Limited Model is, the "injectors" are the atomization point for the fuel. At lower pressure in the fuel rail, the fuel discharged through the injectors would likely "dribble" out instead of praying. Think of the injector in terms of a shower head.... If you have a high pressure supply at a shower head, you get great dispersion of water on the outlet side of the shower head. If you lose water pressure, the dispersion of water as it leaves the shower head can turn into a weak stream of water instead of a strong and well defined spray pattern.. So, here's the point... your fuel pressure MAY be reduced, causing the light (again, I'm speculating) to remain on and the poor starting characteristics when the engine is cold... of course there are other possible explanations for why your engine has poor cold starting...

Anyhow, I would rather send you the manual, allow you to study it and then work through your troubles with each of us having a copy available to reference than study it on my end only and try to interpret the information across the Internet...

The system is fairly simple, from what I've seen of it, and I am certain with a little reading and studying of the schematics in the manual, you will be able to work through any fuel system difficulties you are experiencing.

Hawk
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

cfoth
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEI

Re: 1986 gl1200 aspy sei fuel system light stays on

Postby cfoth » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:52 pm

Did this issue get fixed and if so what was the problem? I'm having similar problem only fuel system light will sometime go out. Po installed new pump (not OEM ) pump does look new I was running bike at idle and eventually the bike died and the pump was making a squeal kinda like seizing up. I wanted to check spark after it stalled (po told me it would run until warmed up, die, and not start until cooled down) had good spark and fired back up. Im confused now because based on what po told me I was thinking pulse gen but spark was good when It quit

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”