1987 Apsencade GL1200A - starter parts list - question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
GLDavis3639
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - currently, back to Chiangmai, Thailand in December
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade,
2006 Suzuki 750 Katana

1987 Apsencade GL1200A - starter parts list - question

Postby GLDavis3639 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:42 pm

starter pix after greasing -- i
starter pix after greasing -- i
Hello, I have seen the great tutorial on changing out a starter on DIY -- But, I am having to work outside under carport - did it in parts - didn't follow the main advice - "always keep track of what comes off from where and in what order."

So following the DIY with pictures, I have mine apart - got it all cleaned up. But I have parts I don't recognize - so including pics. There are the six washers -- but I cannot see a way to do the thin-thin-thick-armature-thin thin thick --- that is the picture says three on this end and three on other end -- I have 6 of the same size - but the other end is the gear and too large for three of the six -- there are two larger washer that fit the "shoulder around the gear" on the other end - there is also a large shaped "washer that seems to be for the front half with the gears - but how it goes or where to put it - I tried a few things and it didn't make sense. Also the one larger gear in the housing is more squared walls on one side -- the side I put into the housing - and the other has a slight bevel on the outside of the gear ring - I put it facing the other housing piece -- but it is the big bushing where it fits in housing.

It seems the only place to put the six washers is on the one end - thin thin thick thin thin thick? - the two larger washers only "fit" size-wise over the gear end - is there only the one o'ring on the armature to end cover? None between gears and back end of the armature ?

I got the brushes at dealer - but ordered a kit to get o-rings - and etc it had lots of odd parts but did have bushings and the o-ring -- didn't need to replace the "copper" bushings - the gears and all inside looked good except the brushes where worn all the way down to the bracket/holder --
(The seller told me that -- this bike "had sat for a long time" - It looked clean, good tires, started right up, the battery showed good - stator working -- etc

BUT Boy, why did I buy it without knowing how long. It road good for two days - started leaking - stopped starting - final drive fluid all leaded out - yikes - but those are other woes )-- for now I want to get it to start

I will add some pix and hope someone can help me figure this out -- then I will pull the final drive and work through those DIY's thanks for all of those and any info.

GDavis3639
Attachments
starter pix after greasing -- 2 - extra parts --
starter pix after greasing -- 2 - extra parts --
starter pix after greasing -- 3 -  where did I go wrong?
starter pix after greasing -- 3 - where did I go wrong?
starter pix after greasing -- 4-  where did I go wrong?
starter pix after greasing -- 4- where did I go wrong?
starter pix after greasing -- 5 -  what to do?
starter pix after greasing -- 5 - what to do?

skier
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I 124k
2009 Honda Silverwing 14k -- the wife's scooter

Re: 1987 Apsencade GL1200A - starter parts list - question

Postby skier » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:06 am

I've never had to rebuild my starter, but...the six washers go on the armature shaft prior to inserting the armature in the case. It appears that you have the case back together and still have washers left over. The gl1100 DIY articles on this site has a good article on starter rebuild. Again, not sure if that is the article you referenced. I looked in the factory service manual, it only says to "record the location and number of thrust washers".

GLDavis3639
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - currently, back to Chiangmai, Thailand in December
2006 Suzuki 750 Katana

Re: 1987 Apsencade GL1200A - starter

Postby GLDavis3639 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:21 pm

skier -- here is the DIY that I was referencing
Attachments

GLDavis3639
2006 Suzuki 750 Katana

Re: 1987 Apsencade GL1200A - starter parts list - question

Postby GLDavis3639 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:25 am

Here is a short clip of what my starter sounds like on the bench test. I have new brushes -- armature and all cleaned and dry. Gears all greased up as per DIY. has the O-Ring on. My only dilemma is that it was missing one of the thin washers and I haven't found a replacement.

Did the bench -- it spends plenty fast -- just sounds too noisy. See the small short clip for the audio.

Here is a link to the video clip -- should play in quicktime, realplayer, VLC, etc

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd24vcmgaxhif ... r-test.m4v

Thanks for any thoughts on this. I am ready to get past this and get on to the other big one - final drive and doing all the fluids - main oil seal - check other, etc

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”