caliper piston extractor

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

caliper piston extractor

Postby flash2002 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:48 am

Hi guys, I was working on my 1200 brake caliper and the pistons where stuck I mean really stuck. So I tried to pop them out with air like usual and no luck they where stuck. I decided to make a tool to extract the piston, see pictures. It works great, put the pipe in the piston turn the handle to spread the pipe, when the handle stops turning the piston brakes free and it starts turning and you just pull it out.

Parts I used, 1'' OD steel pipe about 12'' long a 5/16 rod and nuts some of the parts I made my self out of aluminium. On the pipe I cut 5 slots the length of the inside of the piston about 1 1/2'' I broke off 2 tabs so it wont be hard to spread. The aluminium parts I turn with a press drill and files, the handle was drill and tap to 5/16 .
Attachments

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: caliper piston extractor

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:10 am

Nice work,but it would have been easier and quicker to just unbolt the caliper from the bike,remove the pads and then just pump the brakes.Never seen one stuck bad enough that hydraulic pressure wouldn't spit it out.I've also heard of adapting a grease fitting to the bleeder screw hole and pumping grease into it.but the first would be the preferred method obviously.Glad you were able to get it out.Fabricating tools can be a lot of fun also.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

flash2002

Postby flash2002 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:33 am

Fatwing Chris wrote:Nice work,but it would have been easier and quicker to just unbolt the caliper from the bike,remove the pads and then just pump the brakes.Never seen one stuck bad enough that hydraulic pressure wouldn't spit it out.I've also heard of adapting a grease fitting to the bleeder screw hole and pumping grease into it.but the first would be the preferred method obviously.Glad you were able to get it out.Fabricating tools can be a lot of fun also.

Hi Chris, this might be going as a parts bike, so the bike was taken apart and all the oils where out so no hydraulics.

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby rzaugg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:46 pm

I typically will just use a c-clamp and try to squeeze the piston in to break it loose from the seal, then air will get it out. Hasn't failed me yet. If you put one of the pads in between the clamp and the piston, you don't have to worry about damaging the piston lip and you can also use the pad to make sure that the piston doesn't fly across the garage when you apply the air pressure to it

flash2002

Postby flash2002 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:17 am

Hi RZAUGG, I know there are different ways to get them out, but I like making tools for stuff like this, it's a pass time.

flash2002

Postby flash2002 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:21 am

Had to make a new tool for the piston, the front calipers have smaller pistons. The tool is the same except it's 3/4 '' pipe.
Attachments

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:53 am

Very creative way to get the stuck caliper pistons out. Nicely done!
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:46 am

flash2002 wrote:
Fatwing Chris wrote:Nice work,but it would have been easier and quicker to just unbolt the caliper from the bike,remove the pads and then just pump the brakes.Never seen one stuck bad enough that hydraulic pressure wouldn't spit it out.I've also heard of adapting a grease fitting to the bleeder screw hole and pumping grease into it.but the first would be the preferred method obviously.Glad you were able to get it out.Fabricating tools can be a lot of fun also.

Hi Chris, this might be going as a parts bike, so the bike was taken apart and all the oils where out so no hydraulics.

I've been in that position before as well. I screwed a bolt (not a banjo bolt - but one the same size) into the caliper inlet to seal it off, then put a grease gun onto the bleed nipple. Grease guns can generate tremendous pressure, and when I pumped it up, it pushed the pistons out.

Where your tool would work great is when one piston is already out, and the other is seized solid - there's no decent way (apart from reinstalling the one piston) to get that second piston out.

flash2002

Postby flash2002 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:49 am

WingAdmin wrote:
flash2002 wrote:
I

I understand what your saying, but this way no air or messy grease, stuck or not they come right out.

I've been in that position before as well. I screwed a bolt (not a banjo bolt - but one the same size) into the caliper inlet to seal it off, then put a grease gun onto the bleed nipple. Grease guns can generate tremendous pressure, and when I pumped it up, it pushed the pistons out.

Where your tool would work great is when one piston is already out, and the other is seized solid - there's no decent way (apart from reinstalling the one piston) to get that second piston out.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”