no fuel to right side of carbs

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Kirker
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda GL1200 Interstate

no fuel to right side of carbs

Postby Kirker » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi this is my first time ever on a site like this. So please help. I was given a 1985 Interstate gl 1200. It has about 72000 miles. Have done some work on her. But sometimes only getting fuel to right side of carbs. I have spark to all sides. I had carbs taken off and boiled out. I also replaced fuel lines, fuel filter, tested fuel flow and pressure on fuel pump. Replaced fuel cut off relay(didn't pass the test). Replaced the "bonefuse" with 30amp blade fuse. Thanks for any help on this...

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: no fuel to right side of carbs

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:52 pm

I had the same problem, and mine ended up being the fuel pump. If you've already flow tested (curious as to how much flow you measured), then I'm not sure what else to check. Fuel screens inside the tank could be loaded up, I suppose, but I doubt it. Does your tank cap hold pressure? You can try running the engine with the cap loose, not that I believe it would fix the problem, but if it is plugged and not allowing air into the tank to replace the space of fuel used a vacuum can reduce pump output. Again, unlikely, but worth checking.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Kirker

Postby Kirker » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. Fuel flow test was 16.9 oz. Haven't looked inside the tank, my book doesn't show filters inside. Just opened up the fuel pump (where the contacts are) that looks ok. The bike starts good, but sometimes runs without any problems. Then will loose fuel to right side. I have run it with the gas cap loose and didn't seem to make a difference. Might recheck fuel flow as I replaced the fuel cutoff relay after I checked it. Thanks again.

Kirker

Postby Kirker » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:04 pm

Hello again, well i checked my fuel pump last weekend. Took out the contact points. (The shop manual doesn't tell you anything about this.) Filed them (they were half worn out) and installed them back in the fuel pump. The bike didn't run hardly at all. I really didn't want to spend $130.00 for a new one. I looked up on youtube how or if it could be repaired. There were a couple videos showing how to install new contact points. The brand was TourMax. So went to a local repair shop to see if they had any used fuel pumps, they didn't, but talking with guy he had just ordered in some of the points that i had seen on youtube. It was the same part as i had on my bike and were only $40.00. Came back and installed them. It took a little bit to get fuel into the carbs. Started up and ran really great. I just wanted to thank you for your help. I think when i tested the fuel pump it was in it's" happy running mode " because sometime it would run ok. I tested like the manual said and everything came out fine. So once again i thank you and this web site...glad i joined :D

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:24 pm

For future reference, I found this replacement fuel pump on Ebay for about 40$. It is as close to a one for one replacement as you can get without buying an OEM Honda pump... and the price is pretty competitive ... glad to read you figured it out.
FYI, they sell the pump with 10mm or 6mm hose barbs on it. 10mm fits 3/8" hose and 6mm fits 1/4" (which my GL1200 has)... NEITHER pump will work for a fuel injected model... carbureted models ONLY..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191249579319?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”