87 Aspy Electrical Problems

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Mav4G
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Mav4G » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:26 pm

Hello everyone. I have GL1200A with the OEM stator in it. A few days ago I was getting help for no brake lights (which I by-passed with new wiring from the fuse box buss to the brake light fixtures). And altho I found some' schematics they didn't show the ground points for an 87 (the ones it did show don't exist on my bike). I was out with it last night and it ran beautifully (other than the tail light idiot-light coming on when I hit the foot pedal). So this morning I had a low battery issue and pulled out the meter. Sadly Im getting 12.26v at idle and 12.26v at 1500 rpms. And it holds true to the earth ground as well. So Im guessing I now have a stator issue. My question is this: Is it possible to develop these readings if you have a bad ground somewhere? I mean could this be a continuation of a pre-existing problem I was having with the brake lights where it all continues to go south on me since I've never been able to find the ground bolts to clean them? It just seems odd that the meter reading is the same under all conditions. ALSO: If anyone out there has working knowledge of getting around the stop light sensor (since Honda quit making them) please feel free to drop me a note. And I don't want to pull the fairing if I don't have to (to find the ground bolts), but I have this sinking feeling… Any help is always good news. Thanks!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: 87 Aspy Electrical Problems

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:32 pm

First..a bad ground would cause the measured volts to go up
Second.no increasing in volts possibles....
1. Dead stator or burnt "3 yellow wires"
2.Connections of the red wires at the starter solenoid,one of them comes from the regulator module.
3.corrosion at the regulator module plug.
4.A dead regulator.
5.bypass or replace the 30 amp dogbone fuse.
If you use your DVM...measure from the negative of the battery post to any solid dark green wire with the bike in operation.Should you find one that measures more than 0.05 volts,that wire can be "augmented" to ground by tapping into it and using another ground lug to the bare frame.
Now maybe 0.05 is pretty small of volts.Certainly no more then 0.1 volts.Its suppose to be zero,it should be ground.
Poke around a bit and let us know what else you find.
As far as the idiot light problem.How bout just removing it.?
A piece of black tape to cover it up like the VCR clock. :lol:

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:20 pm

First, follow what VM says. Sometimes you just have to dig around to find the stuff you are looking for.

Second, in this part of the world, there are always substitutes for brake light switches. See if your friendly dealer has any, if not try a local auto parts store. It might be best to take yours along, so that they have something to compare. (PS If you meant switch instead of 'sensor' then this should be a solution - however, if you meant something else, it could be an approach to consider as well.)
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Mav4G
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Mav4G » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. As for the brake light switch - mine is ok and functions. I was referring to the brake light sensor located behind the starter solenoid on the right side of the battery. It has a 7 way plug coming out of it and senses the voltage and regulates the brake lights (or so Im told). Its a part that Honda quit making and if you find one it'll be used (according to my Honda dealer). In my effort to clean all my connections I must've done something right. When I began troubleshooting my low battery this morning I decided to see if my brake light alteration (cause for idiot light) had anything to do with it and removed it -- and oddly enough my brake lights now work (w/o the connection). So I've disconnected it but even more odd now is I still get the idiot light when I hit the brake. I think some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed. And thank you VM for your checklist of possibilities. I will get on it tomorrow and report my findings. Instincts suggest I can't evade the stator, but Im going to go down that list carefully to make sure there's nothing left out. Thanks again!

Mav4G
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Mav4G » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:49 pm

I've whittled it down to a bad stator connector buss. I feel like I just dodged a bullet. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. It put me on the right path to finding the issues. Until next time be well -- and may the highway always rise up to meet you.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Depending on how these old "Gals" (I mean no disrespect to the women of the world) have been treated, with some being stored out of doors, and others living a more luxurious life stored in more climate controlled conditions... corrosion can be a real issue with electrical connections.

The three wires that connect the regulator/rectified to the stator probably (some will say MUST) should be soldered together. I expect if an owner kept up with maintenance, cleaning this connector regularly and applying some sort of waterproof grease to the spade lugs in the connector, it is possible the connector may be doing a great job of getting the electricity to the R/R from the stator, but in most cases this isn't how it is. If there's ANY evidence of a poor connection there, the connector should be replaced with a solder joint. I added some wire to the joint because it was "tight" when I cut out the plug...

In addition to the R/R plug, there are plenty of other places where corrosion can be a problem. When I get a "new" old motorcycle, my first mission is to clean electrical connections at battery, solenoid and so on.. to ensure good contact at the + and - joints, as both count. Battery, starter, start solenoid.. you get the picture... and no, I'm not going to claim that I get them ALL done. I did some reading, checked schematics on my Goldwing when I first got it, and tried to find out if there were any "known" issues with my year and model MC and then worked toward elimination of as many troublesome items as I could before they acted up. My fuel pump was making that tic, tic, tic sound.. so I purchased a spare (which I recently had to install) and have been looking at a few other things. Mostly, I cleaned connectors to make sure the charging system has a chance to keep my bike running and my battery charged.. I figure a starter is in my near future...

Anyway, a good schematic, a good friend who understands electricity and some time spent studying how things work has saved me (so far) from burning up my stator and having to replace the battery, which is several seasons old... I never got more than a year or two out of a battery before. I think I know why now...

Good to be reading you have figured out your trouble.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Mav4G
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Mav4G » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:01 pm

Thank you HawkeyeGL1200 for your input. Like you I spend a good deal of my time cleaning connections where ever I find them. I just bought this bike a little over a week ago and have only been able to drive it 160 miles, 135 of which were on the first day getting it home. Corrosion is my enemy. And on this bike it's everywhere so Im spending a good deal of time overcoming it. I love the GL1200 series but Im learning to dislike the fairing. It seems to be the place where everything is hidden and difficult to deal with. And unless yours is the one having all the cool and still working electronics it becomes more of a maintenance issue than functionality; kinda like having a 45 lb paperweight on your desk… does a great job until you need something under it. I like the idea of soldering connections but I thought they were there for when you have to remove the fairing or pull the motor, etc. Although I am learning everyday new things and old ways of staying on top of it. Thanks for your suggestions and happy trails!

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:00 pm

There's a lot of people here who know more about Old-Goldwings than me. I have been working on old stuff... mine and items that belong to others, for most of my life. I tend to take a "take it apart and see" approach to most everything I work on these days. When I was a youngster, I'd tear into something head-long with little consideration for the fact that I probably was going to be doing more than was necessary to get to the root of the problem. My time means more to me these days, and I tend to do more thinking and less taking things apart than I used to do.

I find myself riding my 1100 more these days than the 1200. I like how it handles better... more old school, I guess... I spent a little time fixing oil leaks on it this afternoon and then riding a couple hundred miles to see if I actually did any good. One or two more minor leaks, and I'll have her dry as a bone on the outside... and the faring is a lot less of a hassle to work around than the '84... thinking hard about looking for a 83 standard model to ride and sell the 1200... it's more of a interstate-highway-riding motorcycle to me than the 1100 is.. and I don't ride much on the interstate system.

Once you work on the 1200, it isn't all that bad. I'd dread having to take off the plastics on a 1500 or 1800 to enable me to even see the engine... lol

I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”