dog bone fuse

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
emory
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

dog bone fuse

Postby emory » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:35 pm

Name is Emory,I live in South Georgia. New to the forum and I have been searching for the answer to my problem but so far I have had no Luck...Just bought the GL1200 Goldwing from and elderly gentleman and right away I have encountered a couple problem's..(1) after riding it for 15-20 miles everthing seems fine Temp,Oil Pressure, Etc..But when I hit the starter to fire it back up it will barely turn over..Had battery checked at (2) Battery&Alternator shops and both say that the battery is in great cond. Next morning Battery is dead..it has the Stator connector already cut out of it...but it still has the original dog bone fuse...my question is...with the Key in the off Position "should that fuse be hot on both sides?" Tomorrow I will check the ground's and run a short ground wire from Battery Neg. to close to the starter.

oldishwinger

Re: dog bone fuse

Postby oldishwinger » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:49 pm

burnt wiring around the dog bone fuse, and the starter solenoid, is known issue, with our 1200's and its recommended that the dog bone fuse be replaced with a 30amp blade fuse.

if your bike is an aspencade, with the digital dash, then there is a parasite draw to keep the clock going, and also to keep the cb unit warm.

so yes there would be a very small draw from the battery, but its in the milli amp range, and should't drain the battery overnight.

nevada4419
Motorcycle: 1984 gl 1200

Postby nevada4419 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:56 pm

1. Let’s check the obvious first with the battery charged up run the bike at 2000 RPM and put a voltage meter across the battery, if it’s not charging at least 13 volts there is a charging problem.

2. If there are any aftermarket add-ons make sure they are not discharging the battery with the switch in the off position. Good luck.

emory

Postby emory » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:06 am

Thanks for all the replys...I did the recommended check with the vom and it is showing the Stator doing its job at 2500 RPM it is doing 14.7 volts....12.4 with key off so It is charging the battery..the gentleman that I got the wing from told me that the Starter had been rebuilt within the last 6 month's. will running a short ground back close to the starter be of any help?? I read an article here on the forum said that it would help if I can get this issue worked out me and ma will be a happy camper...lol
she is 62 and I am 72 and we love to ride makes us feel like we are 20 years old again..and by the way it is a Aspencade...there is no aftermarket stuff on the Bike.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:12 am

emory wrote:Thanks for all the replys...I did the recommended check with the vom and it is showing the Stator doing its job at 2500 RPM it is doing 14.7 volts....12.4 with key off so It is charging the battery..the gentleman that I got the wing from told me that the Starter had been rebuilt within the last 6 month's. will running a short ground back close to the starter be of any help?? I read an article here on the forum said that it would help if I can get this issue worked out me and ma will be a happy camper...lol
she is 62 and I am 72 and we love to ride makes us feel like we are 20 years old again..and by the way it is a Aspencade...there is no aftermarket stuff on the Bike.

I would definitely try running that ground or even try it with a set of booster cables.Just be careful with any arching or open sparks around the battery vent.The ground side of the starting circuit always gets neglected.Everyone heads right to the power side of that circuit as being the cause.In fact you could run both cables(that would eliminate all of the bikes wiring) and if it's still dragging then I would pull the starter again.There's rebuilds and then there's rebuilds right.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

41simplex
Motorcycle: 1984 goldwing aspecade, 1975 Harley Superglide 1979 Yamaha XS 650 special ,1977 KZ 1000 LTD, 1977 KZ 900 A-5, 1969 Sears (Moto Girlea) 124-5 , 1978 Maico 250 , 1941 Simplex, 77 Kz 1000 parts bike

Postby 41simplex » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:30 pm

On my shovelhead I changed batt, and starter relay , it would start right up
ride to town and start draging it ended up being a 16 ga ground wire that was corroded . Now it starts solid as new .

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”