87 Aspy missing - won't fire properly - but idles

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Mav4G
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

87 Aspy missing - won't fire properly - but idles

Postby Mav4G » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:47 am

Good morning gang! Sorry Im back on here so soon! (I've had this GL1200A 10 days now,) A couple days ago I noticed the engine would intermittently run poorly - like a loss of power - a miss of sorts. Normally, with 4 cylinders, if one is off you know it right away. But it will start up, idle, and even drive away but poorly. So yesterday I put in a set of new NGK's (standard plug - Im in Tampa Bay). Made sure they were properly gapped and was careful to follow instructions on pre cleaning the plug ports with air and properly seating the plug wire heads so the covers line up, etc… One of the plugs I pulled out was rusty and nasty-fied. I figured must've had water pooling in the port at one time. Anyway, while I was there I changed the oil, filter and o-rings, etc. It got late and I decided I would take it for a short spin to warm up the oil and get a new feel. The miss is still there. I was tired, so this morning first thing I pulled all the plugs again, double checked my gaps, reset the plugs and wires, etc. and made sure I had the right firing order (according to the plug wires themselves). The wires are OEM as they are numbered to be sure you're getting them in the right order. When I pull away it's missing - but not jerking or spitting or backfiring. It runs smooth - real odd to explain. When I get up to 20 or 30 mph I'll get an occasional spurt of raw power where I know instantly (head thrown back) Im firing on all four - and its a rush cause when its firing correctly this baby wants to scream. But just as quickly will sputter down to a loss of power and its a u-turn for home. And I can't get over how it idles and runs even though its crippled at 75%. Obviously something is cutting out. I checked to make sure each wire was sparking by pulling them one at a time and grounding it to the frame with a screwdriver. So it doesn't appear to be plugs or wires (I think). Thanks up front for taking the time to respond. And Happy Holloween!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 87 Aspy missing - won't fire properly - but idles

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:32 am

I think you're definitely correct that the issue is electrical.

When the bike is idling, does it sound like it is missing then? Are all four exhaust headers the same temperature? Or is one (or two) of them colder than the others? Start the bike up when cold, and put your hands on the exhaust headers to see how quickly they warm up, and identify if one is warming up slower (or not at all).

Mav4G
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Mav4G » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:13 pm

It may be that its getting an uneven fuel stream. It does miss at idle, and choke will rev the motor but not loose the sputter. When the sputter subsides it wants to scream, but only momentarily. All pipes seem to heat up about the same. I put 4 oz of Chemtool B12 in it and filled the tank, and am letting it run for a little bit at 1800 rpms to see if it helps. Can you put Seafoam on top of that or is that too much additive at one time?

Phavas
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 x 2, 1977 GL1000 x 3, 1981 GL1100 Sidecar, CB750 K8 CB 550 K8, 1954 Velocette MSS, 1937 Velocette KSS, 1932 Norton 16, 1946 AJS 18, 1948 Vincent Rapide, BMW R 100 RT1, BMW GS 80, BMW R60/7, 1936 Halcyon 50, 2003 Triumph Trophy 1200, 1994 Honda CB750 twin cam and still looking...

Postby Phavas » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:21 pm

You have a carb issue, probably in the float bowls. One of your carbs is not passing gas with the others. If you've tinkered with the floats or cleaned the carbs, you got one of the float heights wrong, or you have a gummy needle valve which is preventing the bowl from filling completely.

You can go the RANDAKK route and have the carbs washed in Unicorn pee by Vestal virgins under waning
moonlight while you listen to
classical music, or you dump a s***load of carb cleaner in the fuel and wait for the gum to disolve.
If you start taking them apart you're chasing your tail - especially if you've not touched them recently
and it was running good before. Seafoam is good stuff but it takes a ton of it to work.

I am of the rape and run school with carbs: find the most corrosive cleaner you can and dump it in the fuel; watch the smoke for a while and keep driving.

True story: I came out of Yugoslavia in my Rolls Shadow with a tank of about 40% water, 40% what passed for gasoline and 20% something else. Rolls Royce recommended stripping the intake system and giving it to the local vestal virigins for the Unicorn treatment.
I went downtown and bought 2 gallons of acetone and ethanol and dumped them in the fuel. After about 30 minutes of popping and banging it all cleared up. The Rolls mechanic told me "didn't recommend" my methods.
Writing roughshod over the English language

Mav4G
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Mav4G » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:06 pm

Oddly enough there's truth in your analogy. I have not touched the carbs yet other than to put some chemtool in the gas. And Im guessing I haven't put enough -- so I'll go out and put some more. This has become somewhat of a project bike as I've had to order a new wheel, tire, lights (elec issues), rebuild the shocks, and new brakes and Im only into it 11 days now. I spend so much time working on it I wonder if I'll ever get to ride it. And a true miracle -- is that any amount of vestal virgins on one or more unicorns would take a moment to even piss on my problem. Unicorns would be pretty cool - but I don't believe in vestal virgins :-)

Bray20
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Ltd.

Postby Bray20 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:53 pm

I can relate to your feeling about not ever going to get to ride your bike. The first year I had my 85 ltd I needed quick release pins in my fairing. I had a similar problem with my bike and I ended up finding a lot of loose connections in the electrical plugs under the seat and tank cover. That's when I cut all the plugs off and soldered the connections. I don't think your bike has one but the plug from the ecu was the culprit, I didn't cut that one.

Mav4G
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Mav4G » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:11 pm

This also had a lot of DIY wiring that needed updating and connections were all corroded. The #3 plug was rusted about half way down the threads, but the tip looked ok-ish. I think its that carb (#3) thats giving me issues. Im sensing perhaps either the needle valve or the float is getting stuck. I've dumped a can of chemtool in the tank and just got back from a short freeway run. It acts gummy till I get to high rpms then it wants to open up. When I work my way up to 50-55 mph it will take off like nothing is wrong and suddenly Im bursting to 75-80 and have to back off. When I come to a stop it starts all over again. It gets bursts of power at the high end of each gear and gets happy if I keep it at 2800 rpm+.

Phavas
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 x 2, 1977 GL1000 x 3, 1981 GL1100 Sidecar, CB750 K8 CB 550 K8, 1954 Velocette MSS, 1937 Velocette KSS, 1932 Norton 16, 1946 AJS 18, 1948 Vincent Rapide, BMW R 100 RT1, BMW GS 80, BMW R60/7, 1936 Halcyon 50, 2003 Triumph Trophy 1200, 1994 Honda CB750 twin cam and still looking...

Postby Phavas » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:37 pm

Look no further Grasshopper. It's a starvation problem. These are not hi-tech; they're just FIDDLY machines.
Once you set them up they run right for a long time. My 81 sidecar is unstaoppable. The solutions are simple: there's gum somewhere in the system: disolve it and the world is your oyster.

Cheers,
Zaphod

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:00 am

I don't recall reading whether you've changed your fuel filter and have verified your fuel pump is moving adequate quantity of fuel to keep the bike running under load. The fuel pump, if I recall correctly, should push about 18 ounces of fuel per minute (unrestricted) and you can check this by attaching a temporary fuel supply to the carb supply and running the engine with the fuel pump hose discharging into a measuring cup.

If it were mine, I'd look to the fuel system and verify the flow rate to the carburetors. Once that has been eliminated as a cause of the trouble, you can look to electrical connections (if the problem still exists) and perhaps fuses as a source.

My 1984 1200 just put me through a little bit of this. It wouldn't fire the "right side" cylinders at all. The left side would run for a little while, and then I couldn't keep the bike running at all. It would NOT run under load at all. After it sat for a time, it would start with the choke on, then idle for a little while and then the sputtering would begin and the engine would quit again. My fuel pump was dead. I changed it out for an "aftermarket" fuel pump with the same flow and pressure ratings, and as soon as I got the bike to start, it ran as well as it ever has.

So, that's where I'd start. Troubleshooting, to me, is a process of elimination. Once we've eliminated everything that isn't wrong, only the things we haven't eliminated as possible causes can be what is wrong with the machine.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Mav4G
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Mav4G » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:15 am

I am replacing the fuel filter as soon as I get my hands on one. That's an indesign gum trap. As for the fuel pump I'll keep it in mind. Generally speaking - in my experience, they don't perform any better at high rpm's than any other time. Its when they're being taxed that the failure intensifies or completes. And the faster I go the better it runs, especially on the freeway. Its at the lower revs that it wants to sputter. It idles just fine (so I don't worry about the idle jets). Its more like there's a level of blockage, either in a secondary jet, fuel pathway, or float area that is causing my sputter I think. And since fuel deprivation can come from the pump I'll go there next (there aren't many alternatives left anyway). Its getting plenty of spark from all the plug wires at any rpm. The NGKs are brand new and were put in AFTER the sputter Im still experiencing. Consequently it doesn't appear to be electrical. As I whittle this down I'll keep you posted and thank you so much for sharing all you have. It makes for more clues - now and later.

kywinger84
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A

Postby kywinger84 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:16 am

Good Day, I had a similar problem with my 84. Bike would idle fine and missing while riding. Did you check the ignition system. Use an ohm meter to check the coils, with (5K resister) spark plug caps on the meter should display around 25K ohms without caps around 15K ohms. To check right coil, spark plug leads 1-2, left coil leads 3-4. Check pulse generators blue & blue stripe then yellow & yellow stripe each should read 1200 ohms (+/- 100 ohms). My wing checked OK on these. Found out the ignition control module was bad and causing the engine miss. If you replace the ICM use one with a green label, this is the newest version.
Don't give up on the 1200, real good bike.

Mav4G
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Mav4G » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:43 pm

It has been nearly a week since I put anything down here. It has taken me that long to rule out fuel issues. One thing I've noticed, clearly, is the fact there is a way to overcome the sputter issue. If, when I take off from a light, I rev the engine up to 3k rpm and ease the clutch out it will take off like nothing is wrong and will run through the gears as normal. Then, so long as I don't slow down for something in front of me, Im able to maintain perfect firing all around as though nothing could be wrong (whether going 35 mph or 60 mph). But the minute my rpms drop down below 2k you can feel the sputter come back in and until I bring the rpms back up the bike runs at 75%. It won't die, and it idles just fine, but unless Im pre-reving first gear to setup the coming run I get a stuttering lack of performance. I tried applying the choke around 55 mph and it made no difference, except a slight performance fall off. Once it's warmed up the bike doesn't like the choke. I can tell in the idle when the sputter is present. It will idle at 1100 rpms if everything is running good (and it will take off like nothing is wrong), but if the idle has the sputter it will run at 700-840 rpms and will take off like Im only firing on 2-3 cylinders. Im beginning to suspect coils or something in the ignition system and am going to pursue 'KYWINGER84's advise earlier. Im not clear where to find the blue/white and yellow/white wiring and then how to test them, but I'll start by taking of the false tank and go from there. Im guessing there's something on this in the Clymer manual and will see what I can find. Also, the past two days have been cooler here. When I start the bike the starter will sometimes whir but not engage the engine. But it always starts on the second try (after I've waited several seconds for any movement to stop). Any other advise at this point is appreciated of course, should any of you winger's still be plugged in. Thanks up front and be well.

alanc1100
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby alanc1100 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:57 pm

Mav, that is a dangerous way to ride, especially downtown with stop and go traffic. I read on here that our GL1200s will practically run on 100% Sea Foam. After reading that, I drained my tank, poured a whole bottle in with only a small amount of gas and started it up. Ran like crap for about 15 minutes, then I shut it down. Refilled the tank with gas and it still would stall just after idle.

Anyway, I ended up changing fuel filter,checked pump and it works fine, pulled my carbs and cleaned them three times. After the first cleaning and reinstall, I found rust in my tank. Removed it and de rusted with "rust-off". 3 hours later, done and reinstalled tank. Filled tank and added 1/2 bottle of MMO and more Seafoam to keep the rust at bay.

After 2nd cleaning, with carb cleaner in all passages and blew pressurized air through all of them, put them together and reinstalled them. During idle, sprayed carb cleaner around all carb joints and found leaks at the manifolds to heads, and carb to plenum.

Replaced ALL o-rings with OEM and it finally ran well enough to sync them. Did the idle drop procedure on the pilot screws, now she just purrs at idle and screams throughout the full rpm band.
So, you might have to bite the bullet and just pull and clean them.
Alan

Phavas

Postby Phavas » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:54 am

Your sprague clutch is acting up. Hence the starter spinning without the engine.
Apparently there is a fix which involves drilling into the engine casing about 1 cm from the seam and installing a brass fitting so you can shoot WD 40 into it but I've found it's an engine out job. Not hard but a PIA.

Your engine problem sounds like typical starvation whether from crap in the system or a stuck slide, or a bad air/mixture valve, or plugged idle circuit, or an air leak, or bad fuel pump or (insert cause here). I think everyoine here has found that short of taking off the carbs and cleaning them, there is precious little you can do with a fix-in-a-can.

If someone has been in there before you, they may have mixed up slides and domes, or (as I found on one of my bikes) someone forgot to put those pesky springs back on top of the slides (I still wonder wtf the guy did with them after he put the carbs back on the bike).

The bike makes no more electrical demand on the coils at idle than it does at revs, except that saturation time is reduced (dwell overlap) which is supposed to be cured with the electronic goodies so I would say if it's idling your coils are OK.
Have you tested your battery for voltage drop-off? Have you tested your alternator for charging Amperage?

The suggestions about teh fuel pump are good ones: I've just lost the pump on my 81 GL1100 and it felt like the engine was self destructing.

Cheers,
Zaphod

Mav4G
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Mav4G » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:27 am

87 Aspy Revealed
87 Aspy Revealed
Thanks guys for chiming in. All your comments mean a lot. I've opened up the top of the bike to check the coils, etc. The coils are good, the plug wires are good, the plugs are good (new - but checked and good), and was about to do a check on the pulse gen (by the book) and found that the PO removed both of the white connectors on the left side of the battery and 'presumably soldered them together' and taped it all up. There's a good bit of old solid taping to clear away if I want access. I don't have an air pump gauge to check the vacuum coming out to of the CDI which controls timing I think. Is there any other way to test it? I've rebuilt my share of carbs over the years, but never a 4 carb wing. Im guessing the fairing must be removed if you want full access w/o tearing up your hands and beating up your patience. If you guys were going to check your manual for that play-by-play instruction which manual would you prefer to use? I have Clymer's GL1200 manual, and the two manuals I downloaded: Honda Goldwing 1200 Owner's Workshop Manual (color) & Honda Shop Manual GL1200-GL1200A (b&w). I know how complicated this can be for a bumbling old fool like myself so any advise is always sought after. I have arthritis in my hands and more time than money (my retirement sucked up by Obama-drama); and am a backyard mechanic (with a lot of common sense and willingness to read instructions & listen to others). Every week, on Thur nights, there's a local GW chapter that meets a few miles from me. And every week I plan on going there to meet others and pick up info; and I'll be darned if this Aspy doesn't break down again every Wed. I bought this 3 weeks ago and work on it nearly every day. That ole boy I bought this from must've enjoyed his walk to the bank… Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

PurpleGL1200
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
1983 GL1100A
1984 GL1200I
1985 GL1200I

Postby PurpleGL1200 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:48 am

IMHO, you have a carb issue and it will be fixed by pulling the set off and going through them with much patience, tiny (yes, tiny) orifice cleaners, carb cleaner, compressed air, and double-checking yourself.

Some 1200s have small filters under the float valve, be sure you look for them and clean/replace them as needed.

Work on one carb at a time and don't cross-mix parts. Don't ask where this gem came from.

Look for leaky vacuum hoses on the bottom of the carbs. Those hoses could be 27 years old, cracked, weather beaten, and you won't find that unless you look.

Regarding the comment about maintenance manuals, I found the one offered on this site to be good.

Like you, I am a retiree with time on my hands. I used to ride in the 70s and got back into it a couple years ago. However, over-achiever that I am, I have a 1978 GL1000, 1983 GL1100A, 1984 GL1200I, and a 1985 GL1200I. The 78 runs good, the 83 is in-work, the 84 is a basket case that hopefully will become a trike in the near future, and the 85 is a daily rider in the season here. Unfortunately, we have several inches of snow on the ground today and the bikes are in the garage while the car and truck set outside. Season's Over!!

Good Luck & take your time.

Phavas

Postby Phavas » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:04 pm

"...we have several inches of snow on the ground today and the bikes are in the garage while the car and truck set outside. Season's Over!!"

Gonna let a little snow stop you?
Wuss.

Cheers,
Zaphod

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Phavas wrote:Your sprague clutch is acting up. Hence the starter spinning without the engine.
Apparently there is a fix which involves drilling into the engine casing about 1 cm from the seam and installing a brass fitting so you can shoot WD 40 into it but I've found it's an engine out job. Not hard but a PIA.

It's actually Seafoam rather than WD-40, but a much easier method is to actually add the Seafoam to the engine crankcase oil, then go ride the bike (gently) for half an hour or so. Drain the oil, and you'll see massive amounts of sludge and crud come out with it. This usually fixes the sprag clutch issue, although in severe cases it sometimes takes two treatments.

The problem is that the sprag clutch area gets very little oil flow, so sludge tends to build up there, eventually stopping the little sprags from popping out to engage the clutch properly. The Seafoam dissolves the sludge.

Mav4G
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Mav4G » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:00 pm

As wonderful as that may seem (cleaning the sprague clutch) I would never just drill a hole somewhere in my motor hoping it all works out. That's a mission for someone with experience. And as much as I absolutely LOVE my Goldwing I've come to the decision its one great big PITA to deal with everyday. I get so tired of working on it. I bought it to drive and enjoy that experience, not to dwell in a bottomless money pit. And I have yet, other than the ride home last month from purchasing it, have I had more than 15-20 minutes of uninterrupted ride time. I guess I've come to that line in the road where passion meets redundant disappointing failure...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:51 pm

Mav4G wrote:As wonderful as that may seem (cleaning the sprague clutch) I would never just drill a hole somewhere in my motor hoping it all works out. That's a mission for someone with experience. And as much as I absolutely LOVE my Goldwing I've come to the decision its one great big PITA to deal with everyday. I get so tired of working on it. I bought it to drive and enjoy that experience, not to dwell in a bottomless money pit. And I have yet, other than the ride home last month from purchasing it, have I had more than 15-20 minutes of uninterrupted ride time. I guess I've come to that line in the road where passion meets redundant disappointing failure...

The method I mentioned (adding it to the crankcase oil) does not require any drilling. And once they are cleaned out, as long as you keep to regular oil changes, you shouldn't need to do it again.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:19 pm

I've seen the step by step pictorial on how to do this drilling mod. I agree with Admin that if you get the problem resolved with some kind of non-invasive method (SeaFoam, MMO or whatever your crankcase cleaner of choice is) and manage the internal condition of the engine with regular oil changes with decent quality oil, this doesn't seem to be a recurring problem.

Both of my "flat fours" suffered from some amount of this problem when I first bought them. I drained the engine oil, changed filter and repeated the oil change after 400-500 miles of riding, with regular oil changes as a follow up every 2500-3000 miles and my starter issues have pretty much been non-existent with the exception of the slow starting when warm, which means I need to rebuild them to get rid of carbon build up from brush wear (or that's at least what I think is needed)... which I'll get around to in due time.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Mav4G
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Mav4G » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks to both of you for your help. Question, is it possible somehow to just pull the lower half of the fairing on the 87 Aspy to get at the carbs? Or would you recommend taking the whole thing off? I only just noticed it was in two sections when I looked at it closer today with cleaning the carbs in mind. It looks like it should reveal the carbs w/o taking down all those other connections and breaking down the front end of the bike. But I want it right so your advice is appreciated. Thank you.

PurpleGL1200
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
1983 GL1100A
1984 GL1200I
1985 GL1200I

Postby PurpleGL1200 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:12 pm

If you haven't downloaded the manual from this site, you need to. Go to page 4-5 section 8 for removal of carburetors on an 87 Aspy. It's not bad and the manual has step-by-step procedures with pictures.

Take your time and double check your self.

Tom

Mav4G
1987 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Mav4G » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Thanks Tom, I appreciate your help.

Bray20
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Ltd.

Postby Bray20 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Mav that fairing is in two halves, the lower and the upper. Like you I worked on my 85 Ltd for the first six months after I bought it. As I have said previously I needed quick release pins in the lower part of my fairing and tank cover because I was taking it off so often. It was well worth it though. After reading about all the carb problems, I'm glad mine is fuel injected. Removing the lower fairing is not difficult, it just takes a little time finding the bolts for the first time. I does make it easier to access the carbs and related items. You can also flush sea foam through the carbs by pulling the fuse for the fuel pump and feeding the sea foam through the air filter area (after removing the filter). It will smoke a lot but it helped mine smooth out. And you have to keep the Rpms up while feeding the sea foam. Don't give up on her, give her a little tender loving care and she will return it. Don't forget to put the fuse back in.
Good Luck
Bruce

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”