87 aspencade final drive basket question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
GLDavis3639
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - currently, back to Chiangmai, Thailand in December
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade,
2006 Suzuki 750 Katana

87 aspencade final drive basket question

Postby GLDavis3639 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:44 pm

I have tried to read through the final drive articles - thanks to all contributors. Mine leaded all the fluid out the bottom - between the wheel and the final drive basket. Somehow I am not seeing what gasket or what to disassemble and "put a band-aid on it" to fix that problem.

Is this the point where you just buy a used basket and right off your old one? Sorry, I am sure the answer is in there, but I am missing a definite clear solution to how to fix the leak. Someone suggested to put some sort of gasket sealer - I tried that but it still seeped out a bit after a few days.

Thanks

GLDavis3639

GLDavis3639
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - currently, back to Chiangmai, Thailand in December
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade,
2006 Suzuki 750 Katana

Re: 87 aspencade final drive basket question

Postby GLDavis3639 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:09 am

Sorry about that - slight correction. The final drive leaked out at the bottom not at the wheel - just at the bottom of the front of the basket and the back plate/cover. If the splines are all well-lubed and in good shape. I will put the recommended mix of hypoid oil and the gasket sealer and at least give it a try - at the worst it will seep out and I can get the thing around the block once or twice to get it warmed up enough to check the carb sync and be sure no coolant leaks.

But advice to support or to the contrary - other ideas? All welcome. It was a hard freeze last night and only up to 45-50 here in OKC -- chilly!

Thanks

GLDavis3639

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”