And now the rest of story

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
alwims
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2008 GL1800

And now the rest of story

Postby alwims » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:01 pm

As some of you know, I had an interesting riding trip From Edinburg Texas to Greenleaf Kansas and back, over the last week, 1031 miles one way. Broke down twice. Fuel pump went out replaced and the replacement went out. Lost my Galaxy Note 2 cell phone and had to buy another, canceled ins. a while back. Spilled water on my Laptop and had to buy a new one. A very expensive trip to say the least.

Now for the rest of the story. I have discovered, in life, you play the hand you are dealt. I have been on Disability since 1998 with many problems that are doing their best to cripple me. Riding by myself, I'm not having much problem handling the bike, but with the wife on the back, it's becoming more difficult to hold it up at stops. I didn't tell her, but I almost dropped it with her on it the last time we rode and it scared the hell out of me. I could not deal with myself if I hurt her because of something that is preventable by doing what I just did.

The reason I went to Greenleaf in the first place was to buy a Trike Kit from a really nice guy that builds and sells them out of his home. I researched for several months before deciding on his kit. It is the most professionally designed kit I found. All his welds are done by a pro welding shop. He aligns the kit to your bike down to a 32nd of an inch before he bolts it up. It's not as easily removable as say a Voyager kit, but it's not hard. He also doesn't charge an arm and a leg. $1800 start to finish.

As you can see in the pics, his paint supplier sent the wrong paint, but after the week I had, I told him not to worry about it as I used to paint for a living when I was younger and I still dabble in it so I should be able to paint it myself, besides that, I wanted to get back home.

I had read horror stories about some of the other kits and after 1050 miles on mine I couldn't be happier. There is a learning curve on any trike, but if you've ever ridden a 3 or 4 wheeler atv it's no different, just faster speeds. Steering is a joy compared to the Voyager and the Tow Pac I tried out.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: And now the rest of story

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Sorry you had such a bad run of luck. I like the trike and I hope you get many years of enjoyment ... you and the Mrs.... out of riding it.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

alwims
2008 GL1800

Postby alwims » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Just got back from taking the wife to breakfast on the trike. She said she loves it. First time she's ever ridden with me that I didn't yell at her to set still. First chance she has gotten to ride since I replaced the windshield to an F4+4 and she said the only wind she felt was from the side as it is a windy day down here today. Happy Wife, Happy Life. She even said she might still be happy latter on today if I wanted to "take a nap", wink, wink. Alwims gona be Happy Happy Happy this afternoon.

steve84
Motorcycle: 1 1984 aspencade 1200

Postby steve84 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:03 am

glad everything worked out. i like the way the kit looks. would you give the name of the guy in kansa who builds them

alwims
2008 GL1800

Postby alwims » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:30 am

steve84 wrote:glad everything worked out. i like the way the kit looks. would you give the name of the guy in kansa who builds them

No problem. Here is his Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/hoboconversions He has info on there as to how to contact him, etc.

reggiefavre
Motorcycle: 1981 GL Interstate

Postby reggiefavre » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:52 pm

Sorry you had so much bad luck on your trip. My dad used to say if he didn't have any bad luck he wouldn't have any luck at all. About the wife being happy, down here in Mississippi we have a saying for that, if mama ain't happy, no body is happy and if grandma ain't happy, RUN RUN.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”