Smoke

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
dlfenny
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Smoke

Postby dlfenny » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:42 pm

I have a 1986 Goldwing Interstate. Its been very cold here the last couple of weeks. Today the sun was out (still too cold to ride) but I decided to at least start my bike up. It didn't just fire up right away, but it did start fairly easy. It smoked pretty good for about two minutes or so then cleared. It also sounded like the valves on the right side were clicking. I let it run till the fan kicked in and back off again and by that time the clicking had mostly stopped and there wasn't any smoke. Also when its really cold there is a very small amount of antifreeze leaking from somewhere. The leak stops as long as its warm outside or the engine is at operating temp. Is it normal to smoke after sitting in the cold and does anyone have any thoughts on the antifreeze issue or the clicking?

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Smoke

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:50 pm

I guess I'd ask how cold it was (the bike) and what weight motor oil are you running in the crankcase? If the viscosity of the oil doesn't match the cold temps, you may have been running without oil for a fairly long time.. as long as it takes to get temperature "thickened" oil to the heads and lifters, which could account for the noisy hydraulic lifters... other than that, I have no explanation for what would cause your trouble... other than a degraded oil pump or a plugged oil filter.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

PurpleGL1200
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
1983 GL1100A
1984 GL1200I
1985 GL1200I

Postby PurpleGL1200 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:25 am

Here's a thought. Was the bike parked on the center or side stand? Leaving it on the side stand for a long period can allow oil to seep into the left hand cylinders and create smoke upon startup. The clicking on the right side could also be attributed to drain-down during extended periods of non-use. I always put my bike on the center stand if it will be stopped for more than an hour.

If you're parking the bike outside and want to fire it up during the winter, I would change to a thinner oil like 5W-30 or even 0W-30. Colorado Springs winters can be brutal. If you do go to a thinner oil, make sure you change it back to the recommended grade before riding season starts.

If parking outside, my solution is to remove the battery, store it inside on a board, charge it once a month with a trickle charger, and cover the bike until spring. Starting a cold bike with thick oil doesn't help the bearings.

On the antifreeze leak: Test the mixture to make sure it is correct for your extreme cold weather. Weak antifreeze can allow ice crystals to form and could force the radiator cap open.

dlfenny
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Postby dlfenny » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:54 am

Thanks for the info, I do park it on the center stand but it still smoked. I read a couple of post that said their Goldwing smokes after setting in the cold for a few days. As far as the leak I haven't traced the problem but the radiator cap will be the first place I'm going to check. I also am hoping for a few good days this winter where I can ride. Do you still suggest that I use a light grade oil if I plan on riding when I can?

PurpleGL1200
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
1983 GL1100A
1984 GL1200I
1985 GL1200I

Postby PurpleGL1200 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:04 pm

I wouldn't ride very much or very hard with light grade oil in it.

I was suggesting you check your anti-freeze mix to ensure proper strength. However, radiator caps are always good suspects. Check your overflow hose for blockage while you're there.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:09 pm

I run the same oil year-round. Of course it doesn't get near as cold here as it probably does where you live. On really cold days, I will sometimes hit the kill switch to "OFF" and then crank the engine over several turns before engaging the choke and then turning kill switch back to "RUN" and then starting the engine.

dlfenny wrote:Thanks for the info, I do park it on the center stand but it still smoked. I read a couple of post that said their Goldwing smokes after setting in the cold for a few days. As far as the leak I haven't traced the problem but the radiator cap will be the first place I'm going to check. I also am hoping for a few good days this winter where I can ride. Do you still suggest that I use a light grade oil if I plan on riding when I can?
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby rzaugg » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Cold water leaks are almost always caused by slightly loose hose clamps. Just a matter of taking the lower left fairing off to check the upper radiator hose. Lower hose is easy. Have a flashlight handy to verify, several o-rings on top of the engine in case it's not a clamp.

My 84 would tick on the right side after sitting overnight on the side stand and sometimes when I was leaving work in the afternoon. Always went away after a minute max. I always just assumed oil was seeping out of the lifters a little. Don't bother changing grades of oil, unless you have a single weight oil. Just let it warm up a little longer before running too hard.

Smoke, depending on the details of it, is probably going to be normal in cold weather, it is carbureted after all. Details being 1. what color, 2. both sides or one side, 3. if it uses oil with no leaks, 4. if it uses more coolant than what you are seeing from the drip that you have

If you are going to store it outside, you may want to put some moth balls in differnt places to keep the mice out, dug lots of nests out of fairings.

cisgeek
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800,
1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby cisgeek » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:21 pm

The smoke is typical behavior with the Goldwing. It is more likely to occur with the bike leaning to the side, as with the use of the side stand. If I leave the '87 Aspencade on the side stand for more than a day and start up, I had better be wearing a gas mask at the time. Leaning the bike to the side when parked for long periods will cause the bike to smoke. It has occurred with the bike on the center stand but not often. As for the clicking sound, that occurs with my '87 Aspencade only when the bike is cold. Regarding the antifreeze leak, be sure it is a leak and not condensation. I get condensation coming out at startup almost every time and I always use the recommended Octane. I also do not recommend you deviate from the Manufacture recommended type and weight of Oil. I suggest you keep with what the book recommends.

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:22 pm

As the fuel pump is a demand only pump, the ticking on the right side of the bike could from there, it can be particularly noticeable, when the bike is idling from cold.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”